To borrow or not to borrow...to lend or not to lend...

Do you borrow? Do you lend?

• No, never

• Yes, always

• Depends on the bag

• Depends on the person

• Depends on the bag AND the person

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wouldn't think of borrowing my sister or my friends' bag... I would complement their bags but never thought of borrowing them - and I think they think the same way. However, if I really do ever encounter anyone asking for that, it would depend on who that is and the bag's value (either $$ or sentimental). For instance I'm fine if my sister's borrowing a bag from me, not only because we're close but also she handles everything with care in general - and I'm sure my bag would be taken good care of, probably better than I do LOL.

Boy this is a hard one. I've had people offer to let me borrow bags, like when I needed one for documents in a pinch for an interview. And as some mentioned earlier, I think lending clutches makes sense for special occasions. But like, can you tote around my new MG for a while just for the hell of it? I'm gonna have to find a really polite way to say no.

And people may think this is horrible but when my mom has asked to borrow shoes I've said no. >.>

Hi ladies

If not all, but most of us have experienced the moments when someone close to us (Sis, SIL, Mom, Daughter, close friend, etc.) have requested to borrow one of our babies (gorgeous handbags). I have been challenged a few times facing those kind of requests, as I found it hard to say NO or YES.

This got me thinking WHY do I feel awkward and uncomfortable in those situations and HOW should I really react?

So I decided to share this with you and ask for your kind advices.

I never really thought of this...but luckily none of my girlfriends have ever asked to borrow one of my bags. I could imagine if they did, I would laugh it off like a joke because they usually judge me when I buy a designer bag, if they were serious, I would flat out say, "hell no." As for family, my sister has asked multiple times to borrow my bags and I have lent her some but I tell her bluntly that if she ruins it, then she has to buy me a new one, otherwise, I will not be lending it to her. As for my mother, she is the one who will ask to borrow something small for parties, which is perfectly fine, because I lend her my LV Eva and it's canvas. ;)

I think as long as whomever you're lending it to (if you decide to actually do that) can afford to replace the bag should something happen to it then you're golden.
However, if the bag is vintage or hard to replace........then probably the answer would be no, sorry.

Just to add, I think it's inconsiderate to actually ask this of someone unless you know them very well and can trust them. Even then things can happen to make you regret lending out your bag.

"Sorry, my bag is as private as my toothbrush or my mobile phone, and for the same obvious reasons I do not share either" works for me.
Exactly how I feel! Clothes, bags and jewellery are very personal items for me. And I can't think of any other way to explain this if anyone want to borrow a purse, an earring or a toothbrush. :sick::shame:

Seeing how others treat their bags and knowing that accidents can happen I would always say no for good bags.
If I ruin my own bag on accident it is a whole lot different than the accident happening to a friend.

I get really annoyed if even my books that were lent out to friends were returned in a crumpled condition. It happened exactly once over a decade ago, and since then our friendship has fallen on the wayside. How a person treats belongings that aren't his/her own says a lot about him/her.

And since my bags are thousands of times more expensive than books (and more rare/difficult to replace), I have no problem saying no. If I'm being kind, I may offer a reason, but you certainly aren't obligated to do so! Lending someone something is doing them a favor, not an obligation!

Although I like to think of myself as a reasonably generous person, I draw the lines at lending my bags to anyone, except perhaps my mother or my sister for a special occasion. A wedding or an event of sorts. Does this sound selfish?

Although I like to think of myself as a reasonably generous person, I draw the lines at lending my bags to anyone, except perhaps my mother or my sister for a special occasion. A wedding or an event of sorts. Does this sound selfish?

NOPE. when ppl hit me with the gas face, I'm like ok, if it's that important to you to have a designer bag to use....BUY ONE!!! OR...u can give me the amount of money it will cost to replace my bag, and when u return it safe and sound, I'll return your money. they typically do not like either of these answers.

My bag obsession is so well-known amongst my friends that they openly say they wouldn't dare borrow one! I did give a Mulberry Araline to a friend once, as it suited her and I'd never carried it ...

I always say no because I lie and say its a Polish superstition and it means bad luck haha

Except for one time... My cleaning lady who I adore and trust 500% said she liked my small Chanel flap so I told her if she ever wanted to borrow it that she could. Well a couple of months later she borrowed it and was so excited. Her happiness was priceless to me :smile: