To belt, or not to belt?

DH wants to get me a nice belt but I'm on the fence about designer belts, as I don't want to look too flashy. I've seen some people wear them well though. Typically I'll wear a t-shirt and jeans with anything from some Nikes to Louboutin heels. I guess a nice belt might dress up my wardrobe a little. I've seen a few I liked and am debating between these 3.

View attachment 3623667

I think the main thing holding me back is that people can be so judgmental. For example, recently a lot of my friends on social media kept posting this Bill Gates and Mark Zukerberg meme about how billionaires don't wear Gucci belts. Blah blah blah. (Annoyed me). At the same time though none of my friends are into designer accessories and think I'm crazy with my bags/shoes/accessories.

View attachment 3623670

Anyway, what's your opinion in general about designer belts and which, if any, of the above three do you like? I'm leaning more towards the LV belts over Gucci. DH likes the LV Neogram the most (belt on top) and next the LV Epi Initiales (middle belt).

Thoughts?
This meme doesn't make much sense, because there are so many brands to choose from and Gucci won't appeal to everyone. @Fifitrix said it about their tops, but even if they were wearing belts underneath (who knows. Some people don't like wearing belts), we won't know which brands they reach for (especially from a picture that doesn't even show their belts). It's a personal choice after all, for them as much as it is from you. There are very rich businessmen in New York who wear everything from Hermes and Tom Ford to Kiton, and not wearing any one of these brands (or any "name" brand) speaks more of their personal tastes than something to do with their wealth and values.

Salma Hayek, on the other hand, is married to Francois Pinault (chairman of Kering, which owns Gucci), who's net worth is 15.9 billion USD according to Forbes and she is spotted in Gucci in a lot of her public appearances.So, to each their own.

I like the middle LV belt the most, by the way.

I really like the LV Initiales belt! Personally i hate people who look down on others for loving designer items! Some people like paintings, some people like makeup and i happen to like designer items so unless i'm spending they're money, i don't think they have the right to judge how i spend my money :smile:

A 'nice belt' is not necessarily a'designer' belt.
What constitutes a designer belt? Is it that the buckle is a logo?
If you are not comfortable with that, look for some artisan maker who will make a belt exactly to your choice,
be it leather of metalware.
In London there is a French custom watch strap maker less than half a mile from LV and H.
You can get an exotic belt (alligator/croc) for little more than a plain H (non Constance style buckle) or twice the cost of a LV belt; Ostrich for half that and calf even less.
Worth waiting a bit longer? Something like that should satisfy DHs encouragement for you to have a nice belt.
I'm sure you could find somewhere similar near to where you live.

Reactions: sonaturallyme
Thank you everyone for your input! I agree that the meme was ridiculous. Aside from the fact that you can't see their belts, I'm sure they have their things they're into, be it cars, art, or rock collections. Lol. But for whatever reason, people in my circle think "poor people are materialistic and need to buy logos to show off or for validation." However, I know for me I'm far from rich but I'm definitely not poor and don't buy anything for anyone else's validation. I just like what I like. Maybe I just need a different circle? That's why I love tPF. You guys get it and don't judge!

I think I'm going to hold off on a belt for now. I love how you guys' belts look but it's no point in buying something that makes me feel self conscious. I need to get over that. I'm more into shoes and purses so I will stick with those and maybe do as some of you suggested and get a quality belt sans logo or designer label.

Side note I just considered... I've been divorced almost 10 years and in all that time have been wearing a belt that belonged to my ex husband (he's a pretty slim guy). Can't stand him (lol) but the belt has held up well. Maybe that's why DH is eager to get me a new belt!

Reactions: mazarine