Tips for dark jeans and preventing color transfer

I had the same thing happen with COH, Sevens, and Paige jeans. I do find that suede tend to pick up dark denim and stay away from wearing my red London Sole ballet flats with dark jeans because of that. My ivory Dior gaucho also had color transfers but I was able to use Apple Guard cleaner to get rid of most of it. I had to clean the bag each time I carry it out wearing dark color jeans...

omg i ruined a pair of suede shoes and a suede back from this. i've hear if you scotch guard the underside of the jeans and a little over the top of them (towards the bottom) it helps.

I work in a jeans store (sevens, paige, R&R, etc..) and I have heard of the vinegar technique to "seal" the jeans and also it can be used to wash them so the jeans maintain the dark wash and don't fade. I've never tried it myself but it could be worth looking up.

BUMP

Thought it would be a good idea to revive this thread and collect any new tips.

There are a few other threads with tips. This one had the best title going forward.

I just bought a bunch of deeply dyed clothes from gap (dark jeans and tees, and a fluorescent tee with a color transfer warning). I am now washing the dark jeans inside out in warm water with cold rinse cycle (not recommended, but warm is lukewarm because the cold water is really cold here). I added one new and one used (almost white) Shout color catcher which I already know will get really dark.

Next I will air dry completely, then soak in water with salt and vinegar for hours. The water will start warm until the salt dissolves, then become cold before I take the clothes out of the bucket.

Next I will rewash with shout color catcher.

For the flourescent pink tee, I started by soaking in vinegar salt water. (It's getting pink fast.) Then I will wash with shout color catcher. I really want to wear the pink tee with my new white jeans but the label said not to. :sad: I may try it anyway depending on the color left on the shout color catcher.

So I really don't know if this is going to prevent color transfer. Have never had an issue but I haven't challenged it much.

I know most tips say to use cold water, but I used to live in Florida where there was no such thing as cold tap water, so I made a decision to use lukewarm water. The actual setting I use is called "warm/cold".

I also use high levels of water in my top load washing machine. No extra detergent (only the regular amount) - just extra water. That may contribute to my success in the past - don't know - but I have mostly bought gap denim in the recent past.

I am also washing and soaking all items inside out. Although I may turn them mid-soak. None of them were very expensive, so I can take a chance here and there.

I have not worn light colored purses against dark denim yet.

What I am most nervous about is color transfer to my white clothing, and my nude patent pumps. Maybe I won't wear the pumps with long jeans until they have been washed quite a bit. I think I will continue to use Shout color catcher with my dark and colored clothes, just to be safer. It appears to absorb dye with each wash.

BTW, I did this process before with no ill effects, but I am not that picky about my dark jeans. They just need to fit. All the jeans I currently wear have a little bit of spandex.

Does anyone else want to share more current tips?

Last edited:
Lots of dark coloured jeans do that, whatever the brand. Even if you wash them 10 times...it might still happen. I learnt it the hard way.
What I do now is avoid carrying light coloured bags or shoes when wearing dark jeans.
I think there is no other solution....

Lots of dark coloured jeans do that, whatever the brand. Even if you wash them 10 times...it might still happen. I learnt it the hard way.
What I do now is avoid carrying light coloured bags or shoes when wearing dark jeans.
I think there is no other solution....

Agreed with this. There really isn't much you can do here.