Tips/Advice for customs, VAT, etc.

Hey guys, sorry to ask but anyone knows about getting a python sample item from Indonesia, shipped to US. I think my seller might just have shipped it without any paper and probably he won't even indicate what type of material. Since he declared total value just a shy 238 for me, half the actual cost but I'm still not too sure. I think he does not want me to have further hassle or any on his end. Any idea on the risk I'm taking here?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Hi all, I was planning on buying some items from Grifo210.com . They are valentino items < $800. Grifo informed me that I would not face additional charges, just 531 euros. I'm a newbie and have never ordered overseas before, but they are reassuring me that i won't be charged tax or additional fees since the total is less than <$800. They ship through courier DHL. I read on another post that a user was charged an additional $100 via DHL (however their purchase was greater than $800). Anyone have advice on this?

Hi guys, I need some advice!!! Which Place is cheaper to get a Louis Vuitton bag in Europe? After deducting VAT that is. I have read forums and blogs some say France some say Italy. I am confused. Need someone with experience to guide me :smile:))

Hi all, I was planning on buying some items from Grifo210.com . They are valentino items < $800. Grifo informed me that I would not face additional charges, just 531 euros. I'm a newbie and have never ordered overseas before, but they are reassuring me that i won't be charged tax or additional fees since the total is less than <$800. They ship through courier DHL. I read on another post that a user was charged an additional $100 via DHL (however their purchase was greater than $800). Anyone have advice on this?
You're in the US? There are duties on anything dutiable shipped to US (fine art is exempt, several other categories) and the $800 exemption is for travelers, not shipping. Most overseas sellers (Net-a-Porter, Matches) include duty in their pricing.
Also, even on objects that do not incur duty, some states will impose "use tax".
From Grifo210 website itself:
The goods will arrive directly at the place indicated and for deliveries to European Union member states do not have to pay anything in addition to the amount paid at the time of the order, while shipments to countries outside Europe, the courier might come with a separate invoice which requires the payment of duties and taxes charged by local authorities.

Coming back into the US, would it be possible that agents would ask for receipts or should I just mail it back to myself from Paris?

Yes, they could ask you for your original receipts so you should hold on to them. I've been asked to show mine in the past.

You should always take pics with your phone of all your receipts and VAT paperwork just in case.

I got back from my trip to London/Paris about 5 weeks ago on June 5th. I was supposed to fly back home on the 4th for an afternoon flight but it was cancelled and rescheduled to an early morning 7:45AM flight the next day. Because of this, I was already worried about my refund because I would be there before the tax refund area in the terminal even opened.

When I did my refunds from my trips last year (Paris + Milan), they were all dropped off at a time that someone was able to assist me and make sure all my documents were correct and I got my refund within 2-3 weeks.

This time around, because the airport was pretty much empty, I scanned all my documents at the kiosk and it says it was accepted. I proceeded to seal up the envelopes and dropped them off in the mailbox.

It's been 5 weeks since I left and still nothing on my credit card. I looked up the document IDs for the forms that I do have (2 out of the 4 from Paris) and it doesn't say anything about my refund, it's not even able to track it. I'm worried that I made a mistake. Does anyone have experience with the automated kiosks taking longer? Thanks in advance!

I got back from my trip to London/Paris about 5 weeks ago on June 5th. I was supposed to fly back home on the 4th for an afternoon flight but it was cancelled and rescheduled to an early morning 7:45AM flight the next day. Because of this, I was already worried about my refund because I would be there before the tax refund area in the terminal even opened.

When I did my refunds from my trips last year (Paris + Milan), they were all dropped off at a time that someone was able to assist me and make sure all my documents were correct and I got my refund within 2-3 weeks.

This time around, because the airport was pretty much empty, I scanned all my documents at the kiosk and it says it was accepted. I proceeded to seal up the envelopes and dropped them off in the mailbox.

It's been 5 weeks since I left and still nothing on my credit card. I looked up the document IDs for the forms that I do have (2 out of the 4 from Paris) and it doesn't say anything about my refund, it's not even able to track it. I'm worried that I made a mistake. Does anyone have experience with the automated kiosks taking longer? Thanks in advance!

I did some with the kiosk and some with the agent. Premier refunded in 2 weeks but all the ones from Global
Blue took 9-10 weeks and they never updated it in the site. I emailed them several times but got faster response from their Facebook page.

Hi everyone!
I am currently in Europe and was able to score some goodies (reveals to come when I get back to the States) but I had some questions regarding claiming at customs. Do I claim VAT free price? Do I claim in US dollars? I bought some items in France and may get a couple of things at Heathrow. I claim all purchases correct? TIA

Claim all purchases. In US dollars. I use the price on the receipt, but your question re VAT-free end cost is a good one. There is a thread devoted to customs and VAT issues in the Hermes shopping forum. The people there are very knowledgeable about this type of stuff.