Tiffany & Co. Swastika?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Swastika was a good symbol before the Nazi adopted it and used it as a symbol of hate and prejudice.

The swastika (from Sanskrit svástika स्वास्तिक ) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right-facing (卐) or left-facing (卍) forms. The term is derived from Sanskrit svasti, meaning well-being.
Archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates from the Neolithic period. An ancient symbol, it occurs in numerous indigenous Asian, European, African and Native American cultures; sometimes as a geometrical motif and sometimes as a religious symbol. It has long been widely used in major world religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism.

If you do a google search on swastika you can research the history behind the symbol before the Nazis started using it as a logo for their regime. :yes:

^^^We posted at the exact same time.

I know that the swastika is a symbol FEARED and HATED my millions, for obvious reasons.

But...

It's also a symbol LOVED by millions.

Swastikas were origianally a symbol of peace.

So some people would be put off by this charm and others might find comfort in it.

The Oldest Known Symbol
The swastika is an ancient symbol that has been used for over 3,000 years. (That even predates the ancient Egyptian symbol, the Ankh!) Artifacts such as pottery and coins from ancient Troy show that the swastika was a commonly used symbol as far back as 1000 BCE.
During the following thousand years, the image of the swastika was used by many cultures around the world, including in China, Japan, India, and southern Europe. By the Middle Ages, the swastika was a well known, if not commonly used, symbol but was called by many different names: Though it is not known for exactly how long, Native Americans also have long used the symbol of the swastika.

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

There is a great debate as to what the swastika means now. For 3,000 years, the swastika meant life and good luck. But because of the Nazis, it has also taken on a meaning of death and hate.

http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swastika/a/swastikahistory.htm

The arms facing left are buddist symbols. The arms facing right are nazi symbols.

Sometimes, it depends on the culture. True many cultures have gone to counter clockwise as a good symbol and this is usually the case, but to some the symbol is stil interchangeable.

In ancient times, the direction of the swastika was interchangeable as can be seen on an ancient Chinese silk drawing.

Some cultures in the past had differentiated between the clockwise swastika and the counter-clockwise sauvastika. In these cultures the swastika symbolized health and life while the sauvastika took on a mystical meaning of bad-luck or misfortune.

But since the Nazis use of the swastika, some people are trying to differentiate the two meanings of the swastika by varying its direction - trying to make the clockwise, Nazi version of the swastika mean hate and death while the counter-clockwise version would hold the ancient meaning of the symbol, life and good-luck.

I don't know what it was BEFORE the Nazi's adopted it but I do know I wouldn't be happy seeing someone wearing it.

I can understand that. You won't really see Hindus wearing it, per se, but we do have the symbol as part of our religious functions, and it is quite common to see the symbol on doorways and other parts of the house, especially during our holy days (Diwali, etc.). Of all the symbols in the world, since the swastika had to be chosen, at least it was rotated and not left in its original form. It would be even harder for Hindus and others to correct the many misunderstandings that come about from those who don't know the origin of the symbol.

You have no idea how many times I have had to explain what a real swastika is, and how it's different from the twisted and hateful version.

It would be even harder for Hindus and others to correct the many misunderstandings that come about from those who don't know the origin of the symbol.

You have no idea how many times I have had to explain what a real swastika is, and how it's different from the twisted and hateful version.

Honestly, I feel very sorry for you and other cultures that had a lovely symbol that had great meaning to you, taken away and had the connotation changed drastically.

I know that the Nazi's changed the symbol from the commonly used direction, but it was horrible how they took a symbol with such meaning and changed it. And I also wish that the cultures that have tried to break the sterotype and change the direction didn't have to. Well let me re-phrase and perhaps a better wish, I wish that the connotation of the symbol was never changed to an evil one. :yes:

I find a lot of people don't know the swastika's history and accept it only in relation to the Nazi's. And I'm not sure if the meaning will ever change for the majority of society. Just seeing that symbol alone can cause great pain to so many, where others feel very spiritually connected to it.

Sorry, this thread eats away at me, don't want to come across as obnoxious but....here we go...
In southern-asia (mostly India) It's not linked with Nazis at all tbh, and in India its called a Swastik. No 'a' on the end :smile:
Plus, the Swastik, is more of a symbol directly related to Jainism, whereas in Hinduism, it is used a symbol to symoblise the invitation of Laxmi and Saraswati (godesses of wealth and knowledge)
Also, in Asian culture, when the Swastik is drawn (mostly using a red powder - which is reffered to as vermillion) 4 dots are also placed between the 'sections', as shown in the pictures below.
swastik1.jpg

swastik.jpg

The Hindu/Jain Swastik is drawn the right hand and it moves in a clockwise direction, whereas the Nazi Swastika, is moves in an anti-clockwise direction :smile:
Sorry to sound all lecture-ish :smile:
Vivek

Honestly, I feel very sorry for you and other cultures that had a lovely symbol that had great meaning to you, taken away and had the connotation changed drastically.

I know that the Nazi's changed the symbol from the commonly used direction, but it was horrible how they took a symbol with such meaning and changed it. And I also wish that the cultures that have tried to break the sterotype and change the direction didn't have to. Well let me re-phrase and perhaps a better wish, I wish that the connotation of the symbol was never changed to an evil one. :yes:

I find a lot of people don't know the swastika's history and accept it only in relation to the Nazi's. And I'm not sure if the meaning will ever change for the majority of society. Just seeing that symbol alone can cause great pain to so many, where others feel very spiritually connected to it.

:smile: oh so true, its not just the Swastik though, they've adapted the word Aryan as well :P

There are swastikas on exhibition in the Archaeological museum in Herakleion,Crete,Greece dating back to 1500-3000 BCE,it was a sacred symbol of the Minoan civilization and also found in other parts of mainland Greece probably used by the Mycaenean Greeks.We do not know the exact use or meaning of the symbol since the First Greek form of writing aka Linear A has not been deciphered yet.Usually the hands are having the opposite direction of the Nazi one:yes:

^ No it's not illegal. There's four bids on it :shocked:

For those who were getting defensive about it: look at the orientation of the pin on the back-- the arms ARE right facing...

I want to think it's not authentic, but it sure looks like it could be :sad:

I realize that it's hard for some people to understand why a swastika is offensive, but do a little reading on the holocaust and maybe you'll understand...

I don't think you would find many jews (myself included) who would look at that and check to see which way the arms are facing. It is symbolic of the Nazi's and their final solution and as such I would be shocked to see someone blatantly wearing this pin.
Hope i did not offend anyone - jmho.

Status
Not open for further replies.