Tiffany Chains stretching?

Caz71

O.G.
Oct 1, 2012
Has anyone's 16 inch chain stretched. I tried on the bow mini necklace from their display and I swear it was quite long on me. At least an inch and a half!

We compared to the new one I was buying. their links had stretched!

So what 'Im trying to ask is, does your necklace sit a little lower then when you first bought it?

I hate 16 inch its kinda tight around my neck so a little stretching would make me happy!!!

I've heard rumours that the Somerset links 'stretch' a little bit, but don't have any of those pieces. I have two Tiffany chains -- the plain one, and the oval link one -- and neither have stretched perceptibly at all. I would say 1.5" of stretching on a 16" chain would be kind of impossible, given how small and tightly woven the DBTY/bow chain links are. I'd say the SA accidentally had you trying on an 18" chain, but I don't think the bow comes in that in any country (otherwise I would have SNAPPED it up!). Really strange...

My 16" DBTY is with Tiffany now getting an extra inch added. I'll let you know how it goes. Might be something for you to consider having done in the long run.

The bow only comes in 16 inch. The store one- the chain when we compared to my new one- the links were stretched like not as tight. The bow maybe pulls weight not like the dbty its lighter - the middle diamond. The SA showed her supervisor as to why was it stretched. I surely wish it came on 18inch!!!!

I used to work at Tiffany's and I've never heard of chains stretching- maybe they do but nothing significant enough to make a noticeable difference if the necklace you want only comes in 16 inch you can have them add 2 inches it only takes a couple weeks and they mail it right to you when it's done. Hope this helps

I used to work at Tiffany's and I've never heard of chains stretching- maybe they do but nothing significant enough to make a noticeable difference if the necklace you want only comes in 16 inch you can have them add 2 inches it only takes a couple weeks and they mail it right to you when it's done. Hope this helps

Ohh lucky duck would love to work there! Ye it costs 45 for first inch then another 10 for second inch. Otherwise Im using a necklace extender. Will think abt it.

I have a sterling DBTY and it's either stretched or loosened up (maybe from oils?). I wear mine all the time. I would say it's gotten about a 1/2 in drop. It used to sit snugly against my neck and now has a bit of a drop.

(I've snagged it in the shower on my comb about three times completely expecting it to break)

It's another one of those things that makes me go back and forth for future purchases. At first I was positive I never wanted another 16 inch necklace but now I think for a dainty piece it looks quite nice.

I guess for the display item, it could be more to do with people trying it on and tugging the bow into a centred place hundreds of times than the weight of the charm. Still, 1.5" seems extreme. It's pretty misleading to have that be the display item, as well, if it's so completely different from what people are actually buying!

I once stretched out my Tiffany silver aquamarine color by the yard bracelet by falling down the stairs and catching my wrist on the bannister. Every little link became elongated and was so loose it no longer stayed on my wrist. Luckily they were nice enough to exchange it for me since it was brand new. When they compared it to the new one the old one was a good inch longer and that was just a bracelet so I'd imagine a necklace could probably stretch even more.

I can understand the links changing shape after constant pulling or getting snagged on something but I don't think the silver actually stretches, the links are just getting more oval.

I guess for the display item, it could be more to do with people trying it on and tugging the bow into a centred place hundreds of times than the weight of the charm. Still, 1.5" seems extreme. It's pretty misleading to have that be the display item, as well, if it's so completely different from what people are actually buying!

Yes people trying it on a thousand times. also it is displayed on that neck mannequin thing. so I guess it can draw the weight down.

I yelped with excitement when i tried it on. then after getting the real one, I realised its bloody stretched! I thought maybe my neck had shrunk, am trying to loose weight too.. haha. alas, not..