Tiffany Chains stretching?

The bow only comes in 16 inch. The store one- the chain when we compared to my new one- the links were stretched like not as tight. The bow maybe pulls weight not like the dbty its lighter - the middle diamond. The SA showed her supervisor as to why was it stretched. I surely wish it came on 18inch!!!!

It only comes in a 16 inch but you can have them send it away to make it an 18 inch chain. I have done this on two tiffany necklaces. I THINK it was about $20-25 dollars and takes a week or two. I like the pendants to dangle lower so I only purchase 18 inch necklaces

The somerset ring definitely does stretch if it is in silver. My bfs mother has the somerset ring in gold with diamonds and it has not stretched. When you first purchase the silver somerset ring, it is like any other ring and is stiff. But over time, it becomes meshy. I have attached some pictures. HTH:smile:

Edit: I don't know why, but I can't upload these pictures. It's taking forever to upload. I will try tomorrow.

Last edited:
It only comes in a 16 inch but you can have them send it away to make it an 18 inch chain. I have done this on two tiffany necklaces. I THINK it was about $20-25 dollars and takes a week or two. I like the pendants to dangle lower so I only purchase 18 inch necklaces

The somerset ring definitely does stretch if it is in silver. My bfs mother has the somerset ring in gold with diamonds and it has not stretched. When you first purchase the silver somerset ring, it is like any other ring and is stiff. But over time, it becomes meshy. I have attached some pictures. HTH:smile:

Edit: I don't know why, but I can't upload these pictures. It's taking forever to upload. I will try tomorrow.

wow 25 is cheap its 45 here then 10 for an extra inch. why dont they make them in 2 sizes!!

wow 25 is cheap its 45 here then 10 for an extra inch. why dont they make them in 2 sizes!!

I'm so sorry- I thought it was about $25 because I dont remember it being too expensive. But, I just looked at my receipt from 2009 for one of the necklaces.

I've been trying to post a picture but it's taking forever. It was $50 for the 18 inch chain. I bought the heart pendant and the chain separately. $80 for the heart, $50 for the chain (2009)

On the other hand, I bought the cross pendant necklace but this necklace is made so that the pendant can not be separated from the chain. They had to ship it away to add 2 inches to the chain. I can't find the receipt for this one but I don't remember the chain being $50 extra to add two inches.

I'm so sorry- I thought it was about $25 because I dont remember it being too expensive. But, I just looked at my receipt from 2009 for one of the necklaces.

I've been trying to post a picture but it's taking forever. It was $50 for the 18 inch chain. I bought the heart pendant and the chain separately. $80 for the heart, $50 for the chain (2009)

On the other hand, I bought the cross pendant necklace but this necklace is made so that the pendant can not be separated from the chain. They had to ship it away to add 2 inches to the chain. I can't find the receipt for this one but I don't remember the chain being $50 extra to add two inches.

Maybe this is aussie prices. are u in the USA? Tiffany is heaps cheaper in USA than in Australia. When we visit USA we buy alot of Tiffany!

What a funny thing to experience! I have never noticed any of my necklaces stretching, but that's probably because I do not wear a single piece long enough to pay that much attention, and won't notice a small difference.

Changing shapes of the links (from round to more oval) sounds plausible, though the 1.5 inch difference... 0.0'

I am in the US. I will try to upload a picture of my receipt when I figure out why I can't post pictures.

Would it be terrible of me to ask how much you have to pay in taxes for your Tiffany items? It's such a strange concept to a Brit like me as VAT is added on the price featured already. I keep browsing the US prices, do a currency conversion then curse the unfairness that Tiffany couldn't have been British instead :cool: Have never been to the States yet, but hopefully can rectify it very soon!

Would it be terrible of me to ask how much you have to pay in taxes for your Tiffany items? It's such a strange concept to a Brit like me as VAT is added on the price featured already. I keep browsing the US prices, do a currency conversion then curse the unfairness that Tiffany couldn't have been British instead :cool: Have never been to the States yet, but hopefully can rectify it very soon!

It depends on the state that you're in. Some states tax 'luxury' items really high, and some states have no tax at all! New York State (home of Tiffany ;)) is around 9%...

PS I'm American, but I've spent years living in Australia and the UK. I now find it so awkward shopping on American sites, or in stores when I go back to visit family. Having the price on the tag be the actual price (with tax already included) is so much handier!

Necklace stretching: I never had this happening to me and I hope their quality will not allow this to happen. It would be disappointing knowing that this happens with their necklaces.

Taxes added to the price: I live close to Chicago and buy my Tiffany pieces from the OakBrook store. I prefer this location to the one located in Chicago Golden Coast. I just checked my receipt and the taxes paid was 7.75% of the total price.
For the item I bought online (a gold key), through their web site, the taxes added were 6.75% of the total price. I can tell you that the price of the key was $350 and the taxes added were $21.88. So I guess that for me is a little cheaper to buy online and have it shipped (free ground shipping for orders over $300) than purchasing in the store. I still prefer buying in the store if the item is available, though.

I have worn this somerset ring everyday for the last 6 years- it was a gift from my mom. When you first purchase the ring, it is stiff just like any other ring. After about 2 months of wearing, the links do loosen up. But, I wouldn't say that it has gotten looser and looser after the first 2 months. I think they make it so that once the ring is broken into, the links become meshy. It is very sturdy even though it is flexible- especially after daily use for the last 6 years and I do not baby my jewelry. I think only the somerset line- silver only- does this. my bf's mom has the 18k gold somerset ring with diamonds and hers has not become "meshy" like mine. Also, like I said before, my silver necklace chains have not stretched out at all. My bead bracelets have not stretched at all either and I wear those pretty often. HTH! :smile:

please excuse my messy desk in the background lol.

Photo28_zpsce93e4e5.jpg

Last edited:
I love that! Is it hard to maintain (ie- tarnishing) in sterling and mesh?

I don't find it hard to maintain at all. The pictures above show the ring that hasn't been polished in atleast 4 months- lol I've been lazy. But usually, I just polish it down with the medicated tiffany's silver polishing cloth and it makes it look pretty shiny. And whenever I'm in the store, tiffanys puts it through the steam machine(free service) while I'm shopping and it comes out looking very shiny and brand new. Overall, it never looks badly tarnished like a gray color. I would actually say it tarnishes a lot less than my bead bracelets (and I never take off my rings when I wash my hands or do dishes).

It depends on the state that you're in. Some states tax 'luxury' items really high, and some states have no tax at all! New York State (home of Tiffany ;)) is around 9%...

PS I'm American, but I've spent years living in Australia and the UK. I now find it so awkward shopping on American sites, or in stores when I go back to visit family. Having the price on the tag be the actual price (with tax already included) is so much handier!

Yes Andie. The tax is already included in the price. I lived in Toronto for four years and I think the tax was NOT included. so confusing!