Thoughts on this diamond......

Heres mine,an old cut,all the wrong 'rules' for cut and I in color 1.74cts. So on paper it would look like a dreadful stone but IRL??? I'll let you decide..........

I have also had several offers to have it re-cut through my time and contacts in the trade.I have always refused.I fell in love with it the second I saw it and I still to this day love it the same and have no desire to change a single thing about it.xxx:heart:

Chaz that is a real beauty! And I love what you have said in the past about it being very firey. Up till recently I didnt know about diamonds being cut for fire v. brilliance etc!!! And those were the days when a diamond was not just cut for weight either. I think its great to find the one you love, quirks and all.

As for the specs on paper.....you will never find me knocking back a diamond with a straight A report card, its just that the bigger the diamond, the more outrageously expensive each tiny attribute is in the package. So with a 2 carat, it can range from $15000 to upwards of $80000. So realistically, if one is paying closer to the first amount, there will be some sort of tradeoff. And yes, sometimes the cut is part of the tradeoff. And sometimes one doesnt get to choose between every possible tradeoff that is possible. Sometimes, you choose what you do because it meets your criteria and fits your bgudget and its not worth to contuinue searching and risk loosing something that you have in your hand!!!!

Anyway, didnt mean to get off track, but you know you got a great deal. You know that you get compliments all the time and huge pleasure from your firey diamond as well!! That to me is what its all about....buying what `looks` the best for your budget!

Cheers honey!!! I just wanted to illustrate that buying with your eyes is the most important part of choosing a diamond,as I said mine would look dreadful on paper!! But its fire caught my eye,and after years and years of grading diamonds from D flawless and everything else in between. I became a little dis-enchanted with the 'usual' goods on offer,and I could have had the best of the best through my contacts in the trade. But I was yearning for something a bit different,I toyed with the idea of something colored,different cuts,you name it I had looked!!

But this one came in one day,totally by chance as a pre-owned stone,and that was it!! If the owner had never decided to sell,it would never have been mine. As far as reflecting light back up from the pavillion facets goes,its not great,as the angles are too steep,but coupled with overly steep crown facets it produces the most amazing fire and dispersion!!

It has other characteristics of an old cut,in as much that it has a fairly big culet facet on it,I could have had that taken out,but then I would lose the beauty of all those spectral colors it flashes out to the degree it does now. Mine was'nt cut when all the 'correct' angles for maximum total internal reflection were discovered and dispersion and brilliance were not a consideration as much as they are today,and stones were cut primarily for weight. This also speaks volumes about the man who originally cut this stone, his passion and attention to detail shine through in its preciseness and fire.Although its not technically perfect,he still unlocked its beauty in such a way it makes my heart purr when I see it in the sunshine!!!

But if you asked me if I wanted to trade it for a D flawless,it would be no everytime,and not just for sentimental reasons.Sometimes something comes along and speaks a specific language to your heart that defies paper and logic and you just have to trust your instincts and go with it.