This really gave me a wakeup call...

amanda

I Bleed Georgia Red
Oct 18, 2005
When my roommate/best friend told me this yesterday, it really shook me up and reminded me of how lucky we all are and how we sometimes take it completely for granted. It's an intense story, I'll warn you.

My roommate is friends with a girl who was pregnant. She's 20 years old, and her husband is in Iraq in the military. She was induced on Friday morning, and sent pictures of her newborn baby to her husband. From the electronic information that they have available, he appears to have received and opened the pictures that night.

The next day, Saturday, he was killed in the line of duty. He died when his first baby was only a day old.

My motives for posting this are certainly not political, so don't take it as such. When she was telling me this story, I was only have listening (I was thinking mostly of my new haircut). And then she dropped the bomb at the end...and I felt like the shallowest, most reprehensible person in the entire world. While I was making the "go to class or get your hair done" decision (and deciding to get my hair done, no less) and feeling like that was the most important thing in the world, there are people out there that were going through stuff like that...I don't know, I'm kind of rambling, but it has definately jarred me a little and made me sit back and reevaluate what i was prioritizing and obsessing over. I thought maybe sharing it would do the same for others.

I just went to a funeral for a soldier Saturday who was killed in the US during a training mission. My hometown also lost a soldier who was killed in Iraq in February. We hear about this stuff everyday, but it feels so much different when it hits a bit closer to home.

A friend of mine just came back safely in August. He says that it is our job as civilians to support these soldiers and their families during these times. No matter how big or small, anything that you do will make a difference. We do not have to agree with why they are there, but the fact is that they are and we just need to have open hearts and be ready for if the day comes that someone we know will need us.

It is so easy to get so wrapped up in our own lives. We are human, and that is what we do. That is not a bad thing! Just be ready. Your roommate may need some emotional support. Just be there for her. Many times, you never know what to say or what to do, but you will know when the time comes.

God bless their family! How neat that he got to see the pics of his new baby before he passed! You are a great lady!!

That's awful. It's really unfortunate that these are the only kinds of things that opens our eyes and makes us reprioritise. I know when my brother was killed over there in Iraq a few months ago It was the first time I had seen most of my family in over 10 years because they didn't want to put issues aside.
Since then my husband takes more time away from work to spend with us. Again it's sad that it took the death of my brother to make him see that things can change and people can be gone in an instant.

How AWFUL!!!!My 24 year old brother just left for California to begin training for his 2nd tour....he leaves for Iraq in January...I keep praying that somehow, some way he won't have to go....

Ugh, how tragic. When I get home from work I am going to give DH a big hug and kiss and tell him how much I love him.

If she lets me, I will also hug, squeeze and kiss the cat.

How AWFUL!!!!My 24 year old brother just left for California to begin training for his 2nd tour....he leaves for Iraq in January...I keep praying that somehow, some way he won't have to go....
I prayed for that everyday. My brother was delayed a few times. They even cancelled the tour at one point, only to tell him he was leaving in a month again.