This really gave me a wakeup call...

what is truly sad is that it didn't have to happen. His death is just a result of someone's decision. It's pretty much a sure thing: people die in a war and wars don't start randomly. The baby is the only person in this situation who is fine, b/c he/she will never know the father. You can't be attached to someone you don't know.

Poor family...While a small consolation, at least he got to see his beautiful baby before he left this world.

Very sad but perhaps it can give some comfort even if very little to the mother that he atleast got a chance to see their baby. Poor girl her heart must be torn in two right now for the love of her baby and the loss of her husband.

That's awful. It's really unfortunate that these are the only kinds of things that opens our eyes and makes us reprioritise. I know when my brother was killed over there in Iraq a few months ago It was the first time I had seen most of my family in over 10 years because they didn't want to put issues aside.
Since then my husband takes more time away from work to spend with us. Again it's sad that it took the death of my brother to make him see that things can change and people can be gone in an instant.

Arireyes - I am so sorry about your brother. {{hug}}. My DH had to go for a few weeks last summer. It really put a wake-up call on me. He is home safe, now, but it upsets me to think of all the other wives, mothers, sisters who have someone they love in any war-zone and in danger, worrying about their loved ones. We should be more civilized than this.

Reality checks can be very sobering. They have a way of just smacking you upside the head out of the clear blue. This reminds me about a time when my husband and I were having dinner at a restaurant, and I was feeling like my life sucked and everything was too hard, basically stressing out about all this stuff. About ten minutes after we were seated, a a couple and their daughter were seated at a table next to us. The little girl, who looked to be about 7-8 years old, was suffering from a condition that caused her to be hunched over, disfugured, and in apparent discomfort. In a microsecond I went from moaning about my life and having a little pity party to feeling like a shallow ass with no real problems. What problems could I really have when I have my health? When my daughter is is healthy? When I can walk? When I can sit at a table in comfort? When I look normal? When I was able to run and play as a child? When I don't feel constant pain?

That night changed me. I often find myself recalling that night when I realize I am worrying about petty issues.

How incredibly sad. I think we all are selfish a time or two and think only about ourselves and how hard we have it but when I hear something like that, it's like an alarm clock ringing in my head telling me that what "troubles" I have is nothing compared to what the troops are going through. I hope they all come home safe and sound! God Speed......