this one waiter i need to vent about..

jillybean307 said:
We had one chef that would chase down deadbeats with a baseball bat. It was hysterical to watch. Someone would yell "We've got a runner!" and out he'd come with his baseball bat. I swear, I think that's the only reason he worked there.

LOL!!!:nuts: Believe me, there were times I wished I had a bat....

jillybean307 said:
We had one chef that would chase down deadbeats with a baseball bat. It was hysterical to watch. Someone would yell "We've got a runner!" and out he'd come with his baseball bat. I swear, I think that's the only reason he worked there.

I am cracking up here picturing this!:lol:

bagnshoofetish said:
its really a no win situation because it starts and ends with this country's crappy minimum wage.

Truer words have not been spoken bagnshoofetish. It reminds of Barbara Ehrenreich's book, Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America

I must say that before I worked in the service industry I was a person that hated tipping and would always get mad at my husband for leaving large tips. Once you experience what it is really like it gives you a whole new perspective. Now I am the one automatically adding the tip in my head.

twinkie said:
Actually, it isn't. There is an exception in federal law for serving staff. Believe me, I complained about it mightily when I was a server. Then as a manager I was *****ed at constantly for it, but there was nothing I could do. If you question this law, talk to an accountant. That is what I ended up doing for clarification. It sucks, but it's the law.

Oh, I meant it was illegal for the people skipping out on the bill. That HAS to be illegal. It's stealing for Pete sake. Grrr :censor: I hate thieves!

I used to waitress and I have to say that I rarely, if ever, had someone leave less than 15%. The $5 tip was insulting and the waiter probably just blew up because I imagine it was one of the worst tips he had ever received and the table was full of drunk people who just shared a bottle and some appetizers for two hours. And btw. why didn't anyone break a $20? Come on.

I'm really surprised by the attitude here though - waitressing is hard, being on your feet, dealing with rude people, including drunks, and you don't make as much money as people think because of slow nights and the whole $2 an hour or so that you earn. I don't think waiters and waitresses have to "earn" their lousey 15% tip - seriously do you not tip cab drivers, or your hair dresser, or a bell boy for hailing a cab. I tip over 15% for great service and 15% for adequate. Plus in high end restaurants, yeah we usually do leave 20% on a bill that is a couple of hundred - because you have several people waiting on you and unless I'm ordering a very expensive bottle of wine, I think its normal to leave that much. There is really very little empathy here for people that work a hard job - all of this about it being there "choice" makes me rather ill, some of these people are working through school or didn't have quite the opportunities that others did, some like waitressing.

I'm an attorney now and frankly its a deal breaker for me if I go out on a date with a guy and he's a cheap tipper or treats the wait staff rudely. I also haven't forgotten how hard I used to have to work for that money when I waitressed. Sorry but I think it sort of rocks that the waiter told you guys off because it seems like you would have just done it again otherwise.

And I always leave the girls a tip when I get take out - usually a dollar or two, depending on the bill, i.e. 10%-15%. (I've noticed that I get helped very quickly now at my favorite place...) And tipping at a buffet where they give you drinks and clear your dishes is customary at 10-15% as well.

I also have to agree that leaving a $5 tip for an $80 tip is inappropriate. The waiter did not sound like he was a top of the line waiter (and it is completely rude with what he said), but he didn't sound horrible either. These people are paid less than minimum wage and really depend on their tips to get by. I always tip at least 15%, usually closer to 20%

jillybean307 said:
:roflmfao: - too funny!

My cousin was a waitress. She did that when she was in college. She said the $ was really good but she has to put up with some rude customers and stick a smile to her face on days that she just wants to crumble away. I never thought about how hard it can be sometimes.

whatever.

I stand by my original post.

&

If tipping offends you so much, perhaps you should try hitting up a fast food place. :smile:

hah, I realize how b*tchy I sound, but I'm just.... disgusted by some of the comments in here.

jillybean307 said:

OMG thats too funny! :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

COming from someone that eats out 5 times a week AND spends over $200 on a bag ( it does not matter how much people spend on their bags!) ....tipping is not required. The waiters/waitresses KNOW what type of job they getting into when they apply and interview for the job. We as consumers go to a restaurant to eat and the waiters are doing what is in their job description- bring us the food refill drinks, etc. It is their job! A tip is just that a tip. It is not required and never will be. My neighbor is a waitress and yes she depends on tips- so if you depend on those tips would'nt you TRY to provide nice service? DO what you are supposed to do? Waiters KNOW they have to go back and check on the tables for refills, etc. ANd why would they NOT do it if they are getting paid dirt?
That waiter that yelled is way out of line and it is not ok to defend it!
The $5 tip on an $80 bill- what if he got nothing? He did not come back and check on them.........what of they needed more drinks? food? whatever?
We go out to eat to be served.And that is what the waitress is providing service. Her job. Her job that SHE applied for. KNOWING tips are not automatice. KNOWING she MAY have to WORK for her tips.

monica
http://www.youravon.com/mmacatubal