The Volkswagen Beetle, yay or nay?

I'd choose something like a Jetta over the Bug, but that's just me. I figure you'll grow into the Jetta whereas the Bug may be such a specific style that you may tire of it down the road. :smile:

Definitely get one newer than 2004. I bought a 2000 beetle new and had problems with it. We kept if for about a year then traded it in. I have always loved the VW Beetle and was upset to get a 'lemon'. Many people have told me I didn't wait long enough before buying one-they had to have their 'bugs' worked out. They are very nice, more than you'd expect. They're also safe! I would love to get another one someday, whether it's a classic or a new one.

Mine are from Ikea
3873171378_5e3c95719d.jpg

Yep I see that kind of flower a lot but I think mostly it's pink, yellow or white if I'm not mistaken. It's like every time I see the Bug on the road, the interior always have this flower.

Wow, this thread is almost 2.5 years old. Now that the op is 18, I wonder how it worked out. Prior to 2004, the manual beetles were reliable ( and even moreso than the newer models due to the ALH engine if running biodiesel). My friend has one ( that turned me on to these), a 2002 with 130,000 with not one major problem, other than scheduled maintenance. The autos weren't recommended in general since they were a ticking timebomb. After that, they improved the autos with the PD (but I'd still recommend a manual for reliability, personally.) It really depends on what kind of beetle you're interested in will determine the best year/tranmission. I wanted a TDI so I went to the TDI forum for the best advice since there are gurus on there that specialize in vw,s. There's a new beetle forum that's fun too. I got a bright orange beetle as a commuter since it gets 50 mpg, and I drive almost two hrs north a few times a month, but I find myself driving more around town than my other car.

Last edited:
Bump this theard!! Does anyone else have a Beetle hopefully I will get one soon I have been wanting one since 9th grade!!! I just wanted to know if anyone had any new ones they can post pics! I totally love this car its my Dream Car!!!

I've had two Beetles (both 2001) and never really had major problems with them. I'm still driving a VW (2007 Jetta now) and will probably never switch out of VW. I just love the way they drive.

I bought my third one last year, it's a 2009.
My previous one were a 2001 and a 2003 and I had no problems.

I have had no issues with reliability. I drove it in the Midwest and had no problems with snow in the winter.
I am also blind in one eye (well, almost blind) and have severe depth perception issues and can park it without a problem.

The warranty is great, the new "no maintenance for 3 years" thing is also a money saver.

I am currently leasing mine, but I will purchase it at the end. This has been the only car I've desired since 1998....so I figure why fight it and just buy it!

Mine is called "heavenly blue".

i think they're cute, but defintely worry about reliability!

At this point, the New Beetle has been in its current incarnation for what, 12 years, and most of the electrical/transmission/engine problems (is any) have been ironed out. If you bought a Beetle from 2003ish forward, I'd doubt you'd have any problems at all.

Also, this might have been noted already, but this year is the last year before a break and a redesign.

Last edited: