The Unthinkable...Hermes Bag Regrets

I thought I had a twinge of regret when i did not reach for my J during winter. But now that it's nicer weather and I don't need to carry as much, I have been using it a great deal. The colour also seems to go with a lot of the new clothes I purchased over the past 8 months. Coincidence? :lol:

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Bought a mini Constance from Madison on a whim in the fall. Although I like the color, I already have a Constance in this size and would really like a larger one instead. It's been sitting in my closet brand new, never used, but I feel like if I try to sell it it'll be at a loss, so I haven't tried yet. It's a dilemma for sure, and it's made me rethink buying any H unless I absolutely love it!

Keep in mind, I work in finance and portfolio manager easily make millions a year - but everyone dresses in a very conservative (and sometimes frumpy) manner and it is implicitly discouraged to go against the status quo.

Hi! Asset management person checking in. I agree with what you said about the conservative dresses. I keep the Birkins home for the most part for this very reason because while I haven't personally experienced any side eyes, the compliments can be a tad uncomfortable (no, coworker, I do not like to talk how I acquire these!). I do bring the lesser-known styles (my favorite is the Lindy - easy access to stuff and doesn't require a lot of babying). . . .

Mine is still not a full on regret but right now, I am kind of not feeling my Bolide 27. I feel like it is too small for me. It looks really pretty on the shelf and on other ladies modelling it but I feel like it's too small. I say "feel" because my husband said "for the 97th time, it does not look small on you". :P

Was literally dreaming day and night of the Cabacity so when it finally made an apparition on the shelf of the newly refurbished Sloane St store in London, it didn't take long for me to hand over my Amex and walk out carrying the "monster" orange box back home. And this is where it hit me: I just do NOT do tote, especially not huge ones. Have no use for all that space when all I ever carry is a newspaper, my house keys, a paquet of cigarettes (bad, I know) and sometimes an iPad. For that, my Steve is more than ideal. However beautiful I thought it was, I couldn't get my mind round of thought of having purchased the most expensive grocery shopping bag in the world. Luckily enough, I was able to return it to the store the next day (after a near sleepless night...) where a few weeks later I was offered a beautiful Cityback which I love to bits!!

Was literally dreaming day and night of the Cabacity so when it finally made an apparition on the shelf of the newly refurbished Sloane St store in London, it didn't take long for me to hand over my Amex and walk out carrying the "monster" orange box back home. And this is where it hit me: I just do NOT do tote, especially not huge ones. Have no use for all that space when all I ever carry is a newspaper, my house keys, a paquet of cigarettes (bad, I know) and sometimes an iPad. For that, my Steve is more than ideal. However beautiful I thought it was, I couldn't get my mind round of thought of having purchased the most expensive grocery shopping bag in the world. Luckily enough, I was able to return it to the store the next day (after a near sleepless night...) where a few weeks later I was offered a beautiful Cityback which I love to bits!!
I want to get a Cityback too! how is it? I feel like it's for people at least six feet tall. lol

I'm 6'2 [emoji6] and got the larger of the 2 sizes available (not out of choice but because that's all they had). It is tall even for me! From a practical pow, it's just one big container with only 1 small pocket for smaller items. There's an interesting additional zip on the side for easier access to things at the bottom of the bag but haven't really made much use of it so far. The straps are on the larger size but sit comfortably on the shoulders. They're also a bit stiff but that might change as time goes by. Was a bit concerned that the Cristobal leather might be more fragile but so far so good and I am rather careless with my bags [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]. Most and foremost, it smells divine. I'm completely addicted to that heavy leather smell. Hardly a sales argument, I know...

I'm 6'2 [emoji6] and got the larger of the 2 sizes available (not out of choice but because that's all they had). It is tall even for me! From a practical pow, it's just one big container with only 1 small pocket for smaller items. There's an interesting additional zip on the side for easier access to things at the bottom of the bag but haven't really made much use of it so far. The straps are on the larger size but sit comfortably on the shoulders. They're also a bit stiff but that might change as time goes by. Was a bit concerned that the Cristobal leather might be more fragile but so far so good and I am rather careless with my bags [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]. Most and foremost, it smells divine. I'm completely addicted to that heavy leather smell. Hardly a sales argument, I know...
I see. I thought that other zipper is for another comparment.

I've been lusting after a Cityback (alongside other H bags) after seeing this, but I guess he's a giant. Looks good on him:

IMG_7809.jpg

Oh, I didn't know there's a thread like this. I've expressed my regrets elsewhere but I will repeat it here because I'm a loser like that :P

I had a HAC 40 and it was the most beautiful bag I've ever owned. The color was sumptuous, leather was light (it was epsom), I looked great with it and it was proportional to my height and build.

View attachment 3739622 View attachment 3739624

But like Ang-Lin, I don't really carry a lot of stuff everyday (just a laptop, a book, keys and wallet) so it was too much for daily use. It wasn't the weight that bothered me (I don't look the part but I lift far heavier things at the gym), but the sheer bulk of it. I would bump into things and it was a chore to have in a crowded Metro train. Although it was nice when I do groceries coz I could fill it to the brim with ease.

After years of it being in the closet, I eventually sold it coz I wasn't using it at all. Now I'm considering a Plume 12H or a Plume Fourre-Tout because I feel like it would suit me better. Classic, understated Hermès design. Or maybe a 40 Kelly Sellier in black box. :biggrin:

HAC 40 is a big bag, even for a guy, more a travel bag size. I must say it looked great on you though, I'm sure it was heart breaking to have to sell it. Personally, I prefer the shape of the HAC more than the Birkin, it just looks more in proportion. So far I've seen very few HACs available new, and usually in guy sizes. I have a Plume 32 and totally love it, the 12H looks classic, sleek and city-cool and very special, I really like your new bag as much I I do mine.

Was also mistaken about the side zip. I'm a bit of an impulse buyer and after waiting for over 1h for the kind SA who called me to let me know they were reserving the bag for me, I didn't spend much time before deciding to take it home with me. Only later on did I realise that while the Cityback is really interestingly designed on the outside, it's rather "bare and basic" on the inside.
As I don't really do mods shots, I was going to post these pictures from the H IG account but now realise how silly of me it was to think that you hadn't seen them before. [emoji6]

HAC 40 is a big bag, even for a guy, more a travel bag size. I must say it looked great on you though, I'm sure it was heart breaking to have to sell it. Personally, I prefer the shape of the HAC more than the Birkin, it just looks more in proportion. So far I've seen very few HACs available new, and usually in guy sizes. I have a Plume 32 and totally love it, the 12H looks classic, sleek and city-cool and very special, I really like your new bag as much I I do mine.

Yeah, my store had to order that one for me since HAC 40's that time only came in fjord, togo, or clemence. I had to put on a downpayment since it's a franchise store and I had to wait a year for it to arrive. It wasn't too painful in the end; it was more of a relief that I'm gonna get some money back for something sitting in my closet unused. I haven't bought the Plume yet. I'm waiting for the flagship store here to open so I could get it. :smile: Either that or preloved. I'm not fussy as long as it's pretty.

Was also mistaken about the side zip. I'm a bit of an impulse buyer and after waiting for over 1h for the kind SA who called me to let me know they were reserving the bag for me, I didn't spend much time before deciding to take it home with me. Only later on did I realise that while the Cityback is really interestingly designed on the outside, it's rather "bare and basic" on the inside.
As I don't really do mods shots, I was going to post these pictures from the H IG account but now realise how silly of me it was to think that you hadn't seen them before.
emoji6.png

I think it's a missed design opportunity there that they didn't make the other side zipper into a pocket. Would've been nice as a compartment for wallet and keys, since there are no outside pockets. Also, why did they make it so tall? It's a French brand and the average French guy is only 5'7"--he would look like he's carrying a boat on his back! Also doesn't fit Asians as we are quite short, unless the designers were thinking of Yao Ming. lol

I only saw that clip a few weeks ago when I discovered Hermès's IG account. hehe

I think it's a missed design opportunity there that they didn't make the other side zipper into a pocket. Would've been nice as a compartment for wallet and keys, since there are no outside pockets. Also, why did they make it so tall? It's a French brand and the average French guy is only 5'7"--he would look like he's carrying a boat on his back! Also doesn't fit Asians as we are quite short, unless the designers were thinking of Yao Ming. lol
I only saw that clip a few weeks ago when I discovered Hermès's IG account. hehe
There are a few shots on here and on IG where the Cityback is modelled by guys that appear to be of smaller stature (hope I'm not offending anyone here. Certainly don't mean to). Tony Yang is one of them. (Search #hermescityback on IG)
Oh..and I am French BTW so obviously taller than my average country man... :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
I believe the HAC is rested (have been told this by SMs in two countries)....no more for a while and cannot be ordered :sad:

On regrets....
I would say I have very few. I have re-homed bags because I didn't wear them much, or because I added a bag that worked better, but regrets, not too many. I regretted my first BBK because it had the most amazing shiny gold HW (for some reason it was just extra nice-looking HW) and I'm not a GHW person. Of course I miss it now :P
I regretted my Havane Kelly 32 because I thought I needed a black bag more than a brown bag, so I returned it immediately, but again, looking back I think if I'd kept it I'd use it, and it would take the place of my Prune Toolbox.
I kind of regret my Drag 27 as it's smaller than I like for a hand-held bag, but vintage bags are so cool so I do not mind that it's in my collection.
Otherwise I love all my bags far too much!

Reactions: Hermezzy
I believe the HAC is rested (have been told this by SMs in two countries)....no more for a while and cannot be ordered :sad:

That's what I'd thought until I saw a fab large examples in the men's section at NBS. Even though it was a while ago. Probably came under travel bags. I also saw a Box Depeche ghw Christmas before last which was also a surprise.

Anyway sorry OT