The Real Real’s Newest Scam - Return Guarantee (XCover)

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
I don’t know when I will learn my lesson with The Real Real
I purchased a handbag from them 2 weeks ago and because of their poor descriptions and lack of information, decided to take advantage of their RETURN GUARANTEE, which allows you to a “hassle free return” within 7 days of receipt

I suppose you can tell where I’m going with this!

I received my bag last Tuesday (2/6) and it wasn’t what I was expecting, so on Thursday (2/8) I filed a claim with XCover to initiate a return.
No response

Today is Day 7 — and guess what? Still no reply
And The Real Real wants to wash their hands of the issue and blame it all on XCover

Meanwhile, I’m out $700+ for a bag I don’t want
Now I have to figure out what avenues I have
XCover is clearly a scam. The internet is full of complaints against them. I’ve yet to find a single person who got money back from them.

The Real Real is useless
They no longer have a phone number to call (its an overseas phone bank) and trying to chat with them isn’t much better (give us a few days)
They’ve closed all their standalone stores —- Anyone have any suggestions?

I’d also advise to steer clear of the “return guarantee” — its a money making scam

IMG_7696.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7698.jpeg
    IMG_7698.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7697.jpeg
    IMG_7697.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 60
Ugh I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. Not being able to hear back is so aggravating!

As far as their stores, though, some are still open. I know because I walked by this one yesterday by chance in NYC and saw it open for business: https://www.therealreal.com/madison Maybe there is still one you can go to?

I found a number for the store in Chicago (which I thought had closed), but when I called there was a recorded message that says they’re closed and will reopen on Tuesday

As for XCover — here are the reviews I found for it online

IMG_7724.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7699.jpeg
    IMG_7699.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7725.jpeg
    IMG_7725.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 57
Dipute the charge on your credit card. They will temporarily refund your money while they conduct an invest. Tell them you attempted to resolve issue with the merchant directly and they are not responsive end make it impossible to connect with. They will reach out to merchant on your behalf and since it is possible the merchant may not even respond (sound like a good possibility in this case) your credit will become permanent and you may even get to keep the bag. Worst case they facilitate your return and your refunded anyway. Charging customers extra for the so called ability to return an item is a huge red flag. So on fashionphile from now on!

I know its been a while since I posted an update, but here it is
I shipped the bag back to them, they (XCover) received it last week. Never acknowledged receipt or sent me an update. 2 days ago I got a phone call reminding me to send the bag back to them!

After much back & forth with TRR — because there’s no way to communicate with XCover — I finally heard from them today. They inform me that I’ll receive an amount thats LESS than the sales price! And they don’t refund your original form of payment — they just send a deposit to your bank.

I knew the money paid for XCover was non-refundable & I knew they deduct $12.95 for shipping (despite the fact I paid for it myself), but they’re not covering the sales tax!

WTF kind of BS scam is this?
I can’t possibly be the only fool who fell for & paid for this “return guarantee” am I?

IMG_7804.jpegIMG_7803.jpeg

Last edited:
IMO the fact you have pay additional for the right to return an item is a huge red flag. I'm sorry you are going through this frustrating experience but as I previously suggested, I would've simply disputed the charge with credit card used to purchase.
Unfortunately, that wasn't an option.
XCover provides more of a warranty than a return guarantee. I blame TRR for misrepresenting this
(even tho its clear XCover is a terrible company with its own share of issues)

I don’t know when I will learn my lesson with The Real Real
I purchased a handbag from them 2 weeks ago and because of their poor descriptions and lack of information, decided to take advantage of their RETURN GUARANTEE, which allows you to a “hassle free return” within 7 days of receipt

I suppose you can tell where I’m going with this!

I received my bag last Tuesday (2/6) and it wasn’t what I was expecting, so on Thursday (2/8) I filed a claim with XCover to initiate a return.
No response

Today is Day 7 — and guess what? Still no reply
And The Real Real wants to wash their hands of the issue and blame it all on XCover

Meanwhile, I’m out $700+ for a bag I don’t want
Now I have to figure out what avenues I have
XCover is clearly a scam. The internet is full of complaints against them. I’ve yet to find a single person who got money back from them.

The Real Real is useless
They no longer have a phone number to call (its an overseas phone bank) and trying to chat with them isn’t much better (give us a few days)
They’ve closed all their standalone stores —- Anyone have any suggestions?

I’d also advise to steer clear of the “return guarantee” — its a money making scam

View attachment 5947550
That’s crazy thank you for th information

I also had trouble with the Real Real. I think when you chat with them it's a bot. Then the phone number leads to an overseas person who is very unhelpful, reading from a script. The only way I got my money back was because I was also corresponding with one of their sales people to consign so I texted her. I will only buy him Rebag, Yoogi's Closet and Fashionphile from here on out. I have never had a problem with them.

Hey I just had this same exact thing happen to me and what I did to solve it was go to the sellers tab then call the real real and choose the vendor option which I think was button 4 on the phone. Choose the question about my consignment options and it will put you on the phone with their sales department which are people that actually work at their offices/stores. From there your can explain your issue to them and make sure they elevate your issue with a customer service manager and you should receive in email within 24-48 hours from them and eventually get your refund.