The older I get, the less social I am...

Are you more or less social now?

• Bah humbug! The older I get, the less social I've become.

• Yippee! The older I get, the more social I've become.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is really an interesting discussion...because I think...is it just me?? I am very outgoing and have always had lots of friends. I enjoy being around people.

However, here are the reasons I think we slow down in this department....one or more may fit you...

1)WORK!! I know for me, my job requires constant interaction and being "on", and I am not in the mood for that after I get home.

2)KIDS=EXHAUSTION!

3)GETTING OLDER - Just pickier about our time/friends, etc..doing what you really want to do and spend time with who you really enjoy..

4)GROWING UP - eventually, we grow out of partying, clubbing, etc., if we were into that....at least doing it so much..

5)MONEY!! - it costs a lot to be social sometimes! It's cheaper to watch a movie on the telly and eat Haagen Dazs out of the carton! :lol:

I really enjoy my few close friends and my family, and like to chat w/those I'm just friendly with, but not interested in having the same social life I used to..I enjoy the simple things...;)...like having margs w/a good friend!:drinkup:

i'm only 26... and while most of my friends still like going to bars, i'd really rather not since i don't drink and it would basically bore me to death. i get invited to go to bbqs and i just rather not attend. i think a lot of it is because of the huge divider with everyone drinking alcohol and i don't. i'd rather stay at home and just chill out. am i considered a hermit?

i'm only 26... and while most of my friends still like going to bars, i'd really rather not since i don't drink and it would basically bore me to death. i get invited to go to bbqs and i just rather not attend. i think a lot of it is because of the huge divider with everyone drinking alcohol and i don't. i'd rather stay at home and just chill out. am i considered a hermit?

Not at all! I think so many your age just aren't into that..a lot of people aren't. I wasn't...way back when~!;)Just keep your priorities straight!

def. the first one LOL
i'm 29 now and sometimes i'm too lazy to go out, but this works only for a not too close friends. i love to hang out with my "best friends" but if the invitation comes from people i'm not too close to or a new group.

it's just i feel "lazy" to make an effort, so i'd rather stick with the ones i'm comfortable to.

I've never been too social, I have always liked to spend time by myself, which people found really strange at times. But while I'm growing older I don't feel that I need to find excuses for that anymore. I am what I am, I do not like what most people call socializing- bars, night clubs, partying etc. I'd rather stay home and read a book, or do something useful instead of hanging out in a night club (even though I'm only 24) .
I'm only worried a bit that my circle of friends now became too small, but I think it's partially because I'm less social and it's hard to meet new friends when you get older, and partially because I have more self-confidence now and do not feel obliged anymore to spend time with people whom I really do not like or who use me. So I really think now it's quality over quantity. Plus, while it gets harder to meet new people, you are naturally growing apart from many friends you made in high school etc, as you now have different lifestyles, jobs etc, so you become stangers and loose each other.

I just enjoy my own company. Life, to me, is more stress-free when you don't have to deal with the subtle bullsh*t that others project in order to make their life appear fulfilling.

definitely less social

my life depends less on socializing, i'm not trying to meet a man...not networking for my job anymore, and i have pretty much all the friends that i want (which is not that many, but i love them all)

in another thread, i brought up skipping my HS reunion (20)

i think i am going to pass on it, i just don't care that much to dedicate an evening and the energy to reconnect with people i never kept in touch with. if any of my good friends were going, i would reconsder...but they are skipping it as well.

hope i don't regret it someday, but i don't think i will.

i'd rather spend the money on a great evening for hubby and i, and stay in a fabulous hotel..rather than the run down old place they booked for the reunion. yuck.

^ hey guccimama - I guess that answers my post in your HS thread.

fayden - I am exactly like you. I don't drink and personally I don't see it as a divider but it is funny how people can get really bothered about the fact that someone doesn't drink. I don't mind others drinking but I just don't.

i used to chat with everyone and the world but i just don't anymore.

I've never been all that social in person -- so I can't imagine getting less social as I grow up. But ... I have never minded not being all that social. I like doing things by myself or with really close friends and I have no desire to go out and party or drink (I'm 25, but allergic to alcohol) so it keeps me pretty out of touch with the people I know who are my age. I would rather read -- which I do a LOT of -- watch tv, and talk with people I've known for a long time. I don't see myself getting any less social, but I also don't see myself getting any more social. I think that I'm happy with my social level now and will probably be happy with the same level in the future.

I am less social in my old age. I have less tollerance for a lot of things & situations now that I am in my early thirties. I love staying in...I am a homebody.

It's funny b/c I definately feel that I'm set w/ friends (except for here of course). I'm 41 and have developed a group of family (I can't even call them simply friends). I totally know what you mean.