The Official Rebecca Minkoff & Team Discussion Thread

Also I am curious to hear from you ladies about the stigma that bags made overseas are of a lower quality? I made in the same factories as some unnamed luxury brands that are supposedly made elsewhere. Bags you might own and covet. I can assure you since we went overseas, our quality of make has gotten better.

Haha, so true, those "luxury" brands been making their bags in China for some time now and charging the same prices if not more as they did with the bags that were made in Europe.

Denverite- It's funny you ask that bc the other day I thought perhaps it's time for the Nikki to make a comback! As for the MAM/MAB, we did bring it back for our stores and online recently and it just didn't seem to have the same love it had.... did you see the ones we reissued?

Thanks so much for your reply!! I would love a Nikki comeback! I must have totally missed the recent MAM/MAB which is a huge bummer. I remember seeing them come up sporadically the past couple years (the made in NYC with rose gold and the made in NYC BBW ones). I will say that I still stalk sites for the older MAM/MABs. I just love the leather on those (black cat and wine are prob my faves) :heart:

Edit to add: I don't think it matters much to me personally where they're made, I think I just liked the older leather better and the hardware on the older bags. I have a sample MAM that was made outside of the US and it's one of my favorite bags.

Last edited:
I would happily make here but here's the questions that you would need to answer: the cost of Labor, materials, leather and hardware in US is almost double. So that begs the question: how much more would you pay for a made is USA bag? Bc we have always worked tirelessly to make sure we made products that were of high quality and great price. But with a few hundred dollars more would you still feel that way? Keen to hear!
It's probably more the materials (leather) quality than where the bags are made or quality of construction. The Made in NYC bags from a few years ago seemed to be a return to leather like the older, classic bags and so that is why I have a positive association with the Made in NYC bags. I think the recent MAMs were a couple hundred less than the old MAM price, and that made me nervous that the quality just wouldn't be there; I would pay more for a bag with nice, thick, smooshy leather. I like many of the new styles in addition to the older classics, but the quality of the materials just isn't where it used to be from my (limited) experience, and this has made me think twice before ordering something new. I haven't had any issues with construction, so China vs. US doesn't matter to me from that perspective.

Coach's recent 1941 bags are an example - they are a departure from Coach in recent years because they are more expensive but the quality of the materials is so much better than their bags from a few years ago IMO, so the price increase, to me, is worth it - and they are made overseas. But that doesn't matter to me because the quality is there.

For a MAM Satchel, I am willing to pay the price it was when you guys first came out (which I think is higher than your bags run for now?)

Another question I have that I mean no offense to since I'm a huge RM fan (I own 8 bags) is what is with the drama that I have seen lately on instagram regarding lack of customer service?

Also I am curious to hear from you ladies about the stigma that bags made overseas are of a lower quality? I made in the same factories as some unnamed luxury brands that are supposedly made elsewhere. Bags you might own and covet. I can assure you since we went overseas, our quality of make has gotten better.

Personally I'm not at all concerned with where it's made and more concerned with the leather quality. I miss the days of the higher quality "smooshy" leathers that made everyone fall in love with RM bags in the first place.

As others have commented, I'm all about the leather too, Rebecca. I just picked up this vintage (F/W2011) Cupid from a lovely TPF-er on eBay, and just look at how beautifully the leather glows! Hard to believe this bag is 6 years old!

This bag is a perfect example of the unique styling, elegant hardware design, and sumptuous leather that made me lose my heart to RM when I first became obsessed with handbags.
CupidCarseat - 1.jpg

Hope you all had an awesome last weekend of summer! Can't believe it's already over!

Anyways- Dying to know what your Fall must-have handbag is? What color is everyone loving?

xx
I'm loving a rich oxblood or burgundy for fall, in a soft smooshy leather. Something cross body, that doesn't weigh a ton, with an inside zipper for my keys and an outside pocket for my phone. :smile:

Reactions: Rebecca Minkoff OG