The morning after....

lilmonkey

O.G.
Mar 16, 2010
For all those who read about my journey to acquire my Rouge Casaque B35, you'll be happy to know that she is safe and sound in her new home. It's the morning after and...it's a lot of bag for a stay at home mom!

I spent the weekend trying to pair her with my neutral outfits and she screams VERY RED BIRKIN!!!

I currently (emphasis on currently as we are planning to move to a slightly more urban area) live in a town where Patagonia, North Face and Birkenstocks are the mode du jour. This style is not me as I am more of a splashy LA/NYC style gal. Having said that, I love how black and brown bags pair effortlessly with most outfits. When I got my first Birkin, a black B35 with ghw, I could have worn her with sweatpants and she looked fabulous and I was comfortable. Also when it comes to traveling, a gold one would be more under-the-radar which I prefer. RC takes more work and more attitude and concerted effort to pull off. It almost feels like she is wearing me? Now, she DOES pair well with a number of outfits (navy, white, black, neutrals, stripes, florals-- she seems to look the best next to ripped jeans) and hits the nail on the head when I'm in a splashy mood, but she's just not my subtle HG gold on gold B35.

Blue-Jasmine_Peter-Sarsgaard-Cate-Blanchett-Birkin-Chanel_Image-credit-Sony-Pictures-Classics.jpg
HG gold on gold B35... swoon!

My husband says I can keep Paris red and get a gold one next year or for our next big anniversary but I feel guilty spending so much money on a bag I will likely not be using on a daily basis that doesn't make my heart sing. Then again, this might be my only chance to get a brand new Birkin in my dream size and leather for $8500 (Paris price). I believe current Birkins in my neck of the woods are $11,900 + tax which means Ms. Red is about $4400 cheaper than a brand new Birkin in my area. It seems like a waste to let brand new Red go and purchase a second hand 20 year old gold B for the same price. Or bite the bullet, resell red and pay $12-13k for the gold.

I am in my 30s and have my whole life to get my HG bag but for these prices, we should love what we own. Then again, tastes change... I go to big cities where I can wear this a lot... I won't be a stay at home mom forever... the price is as good as it's going to get... and I have the crazy memories with DD obtaining it.

I think I will have lunch with big red in the city and see how I feel wearing her. The only time she was taken out was to the market and while I was schlepping grocery bags, the freaking Birkin scraped across a concrete wall. Now there's a tiny white mark in one of the bottom corners so I can't sell her as brand new. I'm trying to imagine what I would do if I already had the gold B and I think I would also wear the red from time to time.

The 64 thousand dollar question is: Should I relax, keep BIG RED and enjoy her for what she is now and get HG GOLD over time? Or let her go and hunt for HG gold now?

Also, I'm not trying to resell this bag on this forum in any way, shape or form. I just need good, honest and constructive advice. Please be nice though as this dilemma has caused me a lot of anxiety already! Thank you!
IMG_9371.jpeg
Jessica+Alba+Oversized+Bags+Oversized+Tote+BZQdWi6DFAsl.jpg

(Inserted pic of Jessica Alba as I do like this look)

Last edited:
Hey there, I live in flannel and Birkenstock country.... and integrate my red Kelly and a red birkin into my wardrobe. I don’t know how long you have had the bag, but if not long, I suggest you sit with her for 3 or more months... or through a couple seasons

You have wanted the bag for a long time. You may miss her when she is gone and pay more to get one back.

See how you feel. If you could afford 2 bags, my assumption is you aren’t hurting for the cash of a sale. Waiting and trying her in different circumstances may help you firm your thinking. It sounds like you have done a lot of thinking on matching outfits already ...

I personally bought and sold three red Birkins and foolishly didn’t keep the one I really lust after still. While I have a red birkin, not the same shade [emoji3]

I would keep it. The more you use Big Red, the more you will see that red is a wonderful neutral. I think that because it is red you are thinking “fire engine” when it actuality it’s probably not as flashy as you think. I too was always a “neutral gal.” My closet is filled with black, brown and navy. My handbags too were always very neutral-noir, gold, raisin etc. I decided I need pops of color in my life. So, I branched out. Malachite, Bleu Electric, Rose Jaipur are all colors that have all joined my handbag collection. I also now have a red Lindy, love her and a red Evelyn, which I love as well. I would have loved a red Birkin but am currently on a self imposed Birkin bag while I wait for my SO. A Birkin is a Birkin no matter what the color. If a person recognizes the bag they will do so regardless of the color. I say embrace the red and when you get the gold, you will have three to choose from.

For all those who read about my journey to acquire my Rouge Casaque B35, you'll be happy to know that she is safe and sound in her new home. It's the morning after and...it's a lot of bag for a stay at home mom!

I spent the weekend trying to pair her with my neutral outfits and she screams VERY RED BIRKIN!!!

I currently (emphasis on currently as we are planning to move to a slightly more urban area) live in a town where Patagonia, North Face and Birkenstocks are the mode du jour. This style is not me as I am more of a splashy LA/NYC style gal. Having said that, I love how black and brown bags pair effortlessly with most outfits. When I got my first Birkin, a black B35 with ghw, I could have worn her with sweatpants and she looked fabulous and I was comfortable. Also when it comes to traveling, a gold one would be more under-the-radar which I prefer. RC takes more work and more attitude and concerted effort to pull off. It almost feels like she is wearing me? Now, she DOES pair well with a number of outfits (navy, white, black, neutrals, stripes, florals-- she seems to look the best next to ripped jeans) and hits the nail on the head when I'm in a splashy mood, but she's just not my subtle HG gold on gold B35.

View attachment 4222986

My husband says I can keep Paris red and get a gold one next year or for our next big anniversary but I feel guilty spending so much money on a bag I will likely not be using on a daily basis that doesn't make my heart sing. Then again, this might be my only chance to get a brand new Birkin in my dream size and leather for $8500 (Paris price). I believe current Birkins in my neck of the woods are $11,900 + tax which means Ms. Red is about $4400 cheaper than a brand new Birkin in my area. It seems like a waste to let brand new Red go and purchase a second hand 20 year old gold B for the same price. Or bite the bullet, resell red and pay $12-13k for the gold.

I am in my 30s and have my whole life to get my HG bag but for these prices, we should love what we own. Then again, tastes change... I go to big cities where I can wear this a lot... I won't be a stay at home mom forever... the price is as good as it's going to get... and I have the crazy memories with DD obtaining it.

I think I will have lunch with big red in the city and see how I feel wearing her. The only time she was taken out was to the market and while I was schlepping grocery bags, the freaking Birkin scraped across a concrete wall. Now there's a tiny white mark in one of the bottom corners so I can't sell her as brand new. I'm trying to imagine what I would do if I already had the gold B and I think I would also wear the red from time to time.

The 64 thousand dollar question is: Should I relax, keep BIG RED and enjoy her for what she is now and get HG GOLD over time? Or let her go and hunt for HG gold now?

Also, I'm not trying to resell this bag on this forum in any way, shape or form. I just need good, honest and constructive advice. Please be nice though as this dilemma has caused me a lot of anxiety already! Thank you!
View attachment 4222977
View attachment 4222976

What a glorious red, keep it!!!! Your bag looks identical to my Rouge Garance which gets loads of compliments. Such deep, rich, true reds. Always in fashion!

Hey there, I live in flannel and Birkenstock country.... and integrate my red Kelly and a red birkin into my wardrobe. I don’t know how long you have had the bag, but if not long, I suggest you sit with her for 3 or more months... or through a couple seasons

You have wanted the bag for a long time. You may miss her when she is gone and pay more to get one back.

See how you feel. If you could afford 2 bags, my assumption is you aren’t hurting for the cash of a sale. Waiting and trying her in different circumstances may help you firm your thinking. It sounds like you have done a lot of thinking on matching outfits already ...

I personally bought and sold three red Birkins and foolishly didn’t keep the one I really lust after still. While I have a red birkin, not the same shade [emoji3]
I would keep it. The more you use Big Red, the more you will see that red is a wonderful neutral. I think that because it is red you are thinking “fire engine” when it actuality it’s probably not as flashy as you think. I too was always a “neutral gal.” My closet is filled with black, brown and navy. My handbags too were always very neutral-noir, gold, raisin etc. I decided I need pops of color in my life. So, I branched out. Malachite, Bleu Electric, Rose Jaipur are all colors that have all joined my handbag collection. I also now have a red Lindy, love her and a red Evelyn, which I love as well. I would have loved a red Birkin but am currently on a self imposed Birkin bag while I wait for my SO. A Birkin is a Birkin no matter what the color. If a person recognizes the bag they will do so regardless of the color. I say embrace the red and when you get the gold, you will have three to choose from.

Good advice, Deloresmia and Goodfrtune! There's no reason I need to sell red now other than to maintain her pristine condition, which is actually no longer the case as the first scratch has already occurred.

Last edited:
I normally dislike threads like this where people can't make up their minds, but since I got to read your story and I liked it, I thought of giving a thoughtful advice.

When you didn't have any birkin, in your desperation you said any would do, and you were given a red one. Now that you have a red one you now want a gold one, which is supposedly your HG.

You are only feeling what you're feeling now about that gold birkin is because you don't have it. But once you have it, I am pretty sure you will have another HG, maybe that red birkin you have now will be your HG in case you decided to let it go in pursuit of the gold. It will be the "one that got away".

As humans we exaggerate the happiness that something will bring, and when we already have it it will only take a while to get used to it. Sooner or later that something that used to be brand new will eventually feel invisible to us. Psychologists call this habituation.

We are this way because evolution "designed" us this way--humans need to stay alive and spread their genes, and pleasure is the carrot on the stick. If we didn't get hungry again after our first meal, we would die. If we didn't crave sex again after our first try there will be way fewer offsprings to carry our genes forward. The same idea applies to other things we find pleasurable, such as buying stuff, like a birkin.

But of course, knowing this, I am sure that it will not relieve you of that nagging feeling that you should probably get a gold birkin. Because it will match your outfits more. Because it will be easier to carry. Because getting it will be more faithful to that first goal you had. Because of this or that reason.

But that's exactly what the mind does when it's obsessing over something. It doesn't tell you the entirely different set of issues owning a gold birkin has. Now you find that the hardware is wrong, the size could've been smaller, birkins are not really your thing anymore, maybe you need a Kelly, or maybe more under the radar, etc.

Also: I know people who, having acquired various Hermès HGs in birkins and kellys, suddenly decided to never use them again and just switch to other, cheaper brands. Not because they need the money (they are all sleeping in their dustbags in their closets), but because they felt other brands serve more their current purpose.

Also, personally, my first H bag was my HG, and it was not all that. After 2 years of using it constantly, it remained in my closet for 4 years until I sold it.

In closing (whew!) what I would like to say is this: you seem to have limited funds, you just got your first birkin, enjoy it. Getting a gold birkin will not stop the dissatisfaction/craving.

I normally dislike threads like this where people can't make up their minds, but since I got to read your story and I liked it, I thought of giving a thoughtful advice.

When you didn't have any birkin, in your desperation you said any would do, and you were given a red one. Now that you have a red one you now want a gold one, which is supposedly your HG.

You are only feeling what you're feeling now about that gold birkin is because you don't have it. But once you have it, I am pretty sure you will have another HG, maybe that red birkin you have now will be your HG in case you decided to let it go in pursuit of the gold. It will be the "one that got away".

As humans we exaggerate the happiness that something will bring, and when we already have it it will only take a while to get used to it. Sooner or later that something that used to be brand new will eventually feel invisible to us. Psychologists call this habituation.

We are this way because evolution "designed" us this way--humans need to stay alive and spread their genes, and pleasure is the carrot on the stick. If we didn't get hungry again after our first meal, we would die. If we didn't crave sex again after our first try there will be way fewer offsprings to carry our genes forward. The same idea applies to other things we find pleasurable, such as buying stuff, like a birkin.

But of course, knowing this, I am sure that it will not relieve you of that nagging feeling that you should probably get a gold birkin. Because it will match your outfits more. Because it will be easier to carry. Because getting it will be more faithful to that first goal you had. Because of this or that reason.

But that's exactly what the mind does when it's obsessing over something. It doesn't tell you the entirely different set of issues owning a gold birkin has. Now you find that the hardware is wrong, the size could've been smaller, birkins are not really your thing anymore, maybe you need a Kelly, or maybe more under the radar, etc.

Also: I know people who, having acquired various Hermès HGs in birkins and kellys, suddenly decided to never use them again and just switch to other, cheaper brands. Not because they need the money (they are all sleeping in their dustbags in their closets), but because they felt other brands serve more their current purpose.

Also, personally, my first H bag was my HG, and it was not all that. After 2 years of using it constantly, it remained in my closet for 4 years until I sold it.

In closing (whew!) what I would like to say is this: you seem to have limited funds, you just got your first birkin, enjoy it. Getting a gold birkin will not stop the dissatisfaction/craving.
Well said. Funnily enough, after I got my Hermes HG, another HG popped up. And then another popped up and then another and another....It truly never ends if you allow it to continue. Word of the day for me: "Habituation." Thanks, Allan! :tup:

Off-topic, Love this! You always have the right words. (Habituation!) I don't remember if it was also you who pinpointed a name for my phobia (trypophobia), but for some reason, I attribute it to you! :smile:

View attachment 4222986

View attachment 4222977
View attachment 4222976

I also live in a town similar to yours. Just yesterday, I was out with my son in a shirt, shorts, Birkenstock and my BN B30.
I agree with the good advice everyone here mentioned, if you don't need the money, just keep the B. Trust me it will never end. :biggrin: I got my first B, and I said that's it - I'm done, and then came another B and then another. It just goes on and on. I also give my purchases time, I try to see if I reach for it or if it's sitting in my closet. The market will always be there if you re-home your bag now or in a year. Just think about it and let it simmer. In time, you will be wiser with your decision. Good luck! :smile:

Reactions: lilmonkey

Thank you for taking the time to follow and respond to my posts, allanrv! I actually took quite a hiatus from bags for a while and slid back down the orange slope recently. I remember when I got my first birkin, a black 35B ghw, I was absolutely in love with it and used and abused that poor bag until the cows came home. But from my recollection, a few months or maybe maybe a year after that, I started lusting after a black CHANEL 227 reissue with ruthenium hardware. Then after that, a mini lambskin CHANEL crossbody that I hunted with a ferver. I remember having four black bags on my bed-- a Birkin, a Kelly, the reissue and the black mini-- and still wanting more More MORE... pink ostrich with gold hardware! Looking back, it was unhealthy and ridiculous.

I ended up selling all my designer bags in my 20s to help pay for law school and after I cried from the loss of my black B, I remember a lightness-- a weight off my shoulders-- when I no longer had these bags that in a way, mentally and emotionally held me down, if that makes sense. I felt like I could toot around town incognito without the presence of a $10k bag at the crook of my arm and it was a nice change.

I think you may be right about continued feelings of yearning even after I get the gold. I will want my black one back. Or the red as the one that got away, except a red substitute will no longer have the memories of me and DD running around Paris in search of Mummy's bag.

It's a fine balance of not wanting to settle but also being content and grateful for the many things we have.

Not to mention DD might strangle me when she is older, "We went through all that in Paris and you sold the bag after 5 days? Are you crazy! You owe me a red Birkin!"

My advice is to keep it. That said, I have two bright red Hermes bags that I seldom carry, but it is fun when they do come out. I am very low key and only wear them with very neutral clothing,

Reactions: lilmonkey