The minimalist wardrobe : Support/progress thread

Too late I know but I love this blazer. I don’t even find it so oversized because of the small shoulders. I believe it is the same cut of an orange Acne I have.

But I was just going to say, for me on most people who are not towering super thin models, oversized blazers (specially a double breasted one) look best with skinny pants, leggings or cigarette and straight jeans, perhaps bycicle shorts and the like, but nothin wider than that.

:lol:
I would think it is capsule because it is what you would put in a capsule to be left for aliens to know how we dress? But I have no idea! Anyone knows?

I also find it quite extraordinary how so much can be written and said about this, particularly when every capsule wardrobe I’ve seen described is always the same: a white tee, a white shirt, a trench, a great pair of jeans… I mean, really?

Can I register my irritation about white shirts as part of a capsule wardrobe?
I am fat and a klutz (hello, pasta sauce!) and a recovering goth and I periodically try white shirts as a part of my small wardrobe and it always goes poorly.

My basics are black blouses and knit half or full sleeve tops, and I steal my bf’s v-neck black Ts for working out, working in the garden, and under sweaters. And also I am the pinkest white person ever and white makes me look like a sad tomato.

OMG, I love Tibi and follow them and Amy on Instagram! I've heard of Tibi for a while but nothing really caught my eye until I saw a recent ad for the Tibi Style Class (on You Tube/Insta) and fell in love with just about everything. Now all I can think about is Tibi! Funny how that happens! At least you can find some great deals on TRR. I've already ordered 2 things on TRR, one dress from The Outnet, and a pair of denim culottes right from Tibi. Amy is so talented and interesting to listen to....I've learned so much from those style classes!!
Right!!!?? Same here, I discovered the live classes during this winter lockdown. And it’s a genius way to connect with consumers. Someone on the fb group put together all her principles and it’s like my bible for now. Color wheel, the rule of 3, etc…she even answered my style question on Instagram. Lovely.

Can I register my irritation about white shirts as part of a capsule wardrobe?
I am fat and a klutz (hello, pasta sauce!) and a recovering goth and I periodically try white shirts as a part of my small wardrobe and it always goes poorly.

My basics are black blouses and knit half or full sleeve tops, and I steal my bf’s v-neck black Ts for working out, working in the garden, and under sweaters. And also I am the pinkest white person ever and white makes me look like a sad tomato.

I hear you, although I doubt you are either fat or a klutz. According to the color typing set, I believe if you don’t like how you look in white, you might be an ivory person? Which is spring or Autumn I think. Although if you like black, they consider that a strong cool color. This is so interesting. I like white and black but never have been able to figure out my season even after order the swatches eons ago.

Reactions: FizzyWater
These are great questions! I have been reading all the "principles" Amy Smilovic founder of Tibi, described. And this is what I had been missing all along...But I describe myself as quite the Creative Pragmatist she describes. Classifying your items in Without Fail, In and out, Have to have. So the list in the Without Fail is already quite long....trousers, skirts, blazers, tops. I definitely need that boxy or oversize blazer.
On another note I finally received a black full skirt (like a Tibi or Prada style), handmade and ordered on Etsy and omg the shape and lines...I gave her my size, the length I desired and it´s so much better than anything I would have bought in shops.

I am going to check out Amy and Tibi, thank you!

How wonderful! Interesting. So basically you’re buying couture. Love that.

Right!!!?? Same here, I discovered the live classes during this winter lockdown. And it’s a genius way to connect with consumers. Someone on the fb group put together all her principles and it’s like my bible for now. Color wheel, the rule of 3, etc…she even answered my style question on Instagram. Lovely.
OMG-YES!!! Amy is a genious!! So, I read this article about her and Tibi (see link) and now it makes sense why years ago I never really noticed Tibi...and now after seeing her Style Class and the totally new direction the company is going in, I'm totally obsessed!!! I seriously want to get rid of everything in my closet (well, almost everything) and replace it all with the new Tibi!!

I hear you, although I doubt you are either fat or a klutz. According to the color typing set, I believe if you don’t like how you look in white, you might be an ivory person? Which is spring or Autumn I think. Although if you like black, they consider that a strong cool color. This is so interesting. I like white and black but never have been able to figure out my season even after order the swatches eons ago.

That's very kind of you, but sadly my BMI says not just fat but obese. (Holding on to US 16 by my fingernails, though.) Less of a klutz than in my childhood, but still not safe around pasta sauce. And now there's this (very expensively bra-ed) balcony below my face trying to catch stains from anything nearby.

My mom and I had technically similar coloring (blonde, blue-eyed, pink) but she looked good in gold and I looked better in silver (which I got from my blue-toned dad). Ironically, she got married in pure blue-white because her father thought the ivory which suited her better would imply non-virginity (yay 1960s?) and I got married in ivory, which I think was fine - it wasn't a pale ivory and we were outside in full sun, which bleached the effect a bit.

Now her hair is silver (and I think her complexion has softened?) and mine is a very boring dark brown, which I'm actually psyched about, as that contrast takes me from a summer to a winter, where I feel more comfortable. It's not a pretty chestnut brown like I used to dye it to, very flat, but that seems like a nice low maintenance thing I can do or not do as I have time. Now I just need the current hairdresser terms for "glossy, with some depth" and in German. :biggrin:

It's not that black is my best color. It's more that it's neutral, "slimming", easy to find, and sort of easy to match. And maybe I'm still rebelling against my mom's insistence that navy is my neutral... :rolleyes:

That's very kind of you, but sadly my BMI says not just fat but obese. (Holding on to US 16 by my fingernails, though.) Less of a klutz than in my childhood, but still not safe around pasta sauce. And now there's this (very expensively bra-ed) balcony below my face trying to catch stains from anything nearby.

My mom and I had technically similar coloring (blonde, blue-eyed, pink) but she looked good in gold and I looked better in silver (which I got from my blue-toned dad). Ironically, she got married in pure blue-white because her father thought the ivory which suited her better would imply non-virginity (yay 1960s?) and I got married in ivory, which I think was fine - it wasn't a pale ivory and we were outside in full sun, which bleached the effect a bit.

Now her hair is silver (and I think her complexion has softened?) and mine is a very boring dark brown, which I'm actually psyched about, as that contrast takes me from a summer to a winter, where I feel more comfortable. It's not a pretty chestnut brown like I used to dye it to, very flat, but that seems like a nice low maintenance thing I can do or not do as I have time. Now I just need the current hairdresser terms for "glossy, with some depth" and in German. :biggrin:

It's not that black is my best color. It's more that it's neutral, "slimming", easy to find, and sort of easy to match. And maybe I'm still rebelling against my mom's insistence that navy is my neutral... :rolleyes:

You are interesting and hilarious! I love black too. I was just over at a color typing site which says that is winter. I am definitely not a winter with high contrast hair, skin and eyes. I guess I’m a Summer and my features are pretty medium-toned. So are you a Summer then or do you have more contrast?

• Love
Reactions: FizzyWater and 880
Lafayette 148 has magic pants. :heart:
I have purchased Lafayette pants before and found them to be good solid work horse pants, but I just bought a pair of magic pants. Elastic waist, yet they flow and drape and don’t overwhelm my 5’2 height. Plus they are tropical weight in taupe, so they’re almost lighter than my linen brunello pants. Love them; thank you for the timely reminder and recommendation! Similar to these I think:

note: the way to find out if someone is a good tailor IMO is by trial and error.

Last edited:
I have purchased Lafayette pants before and found them to be good solid work horse pants, but I just bought a pair of magic pants. Elastic waist, yet they flow and drape and don’t overwhelm my 5’2 height. Plus they are tropical weight in taupe, so they’re almost lighter than my linen brunello pants. Love them; thank you for the timely reminder and recommendation! Similar to these I think:

note: the way to find out if someone is a good tailor IMO is by trial and error.

How interesting! So if I am reading your post correctly you found your pants from another designer? Where did you find them?

How interesting! So if I am reading your post correctly you found your pants from another designer? Where did you find them?
Apologies, I meant I bought Lafayette pants. I went to Nordstrom’s flagship. I tried to find the pants on the website to post and the above link is the closest to mine. Thank you for the recommendation!

Reactions: Etriers
Apologies, I meant I bought Lafayette pants. I went to Nordstrom’s flagship. I tried to find the pants on the website to post and the above link is the closest to mine. Thank you for the recommendation!

Congrats! I have not tried any of the wide-leg pants yet. I flirted with (last season-ish?) high-waisted palazzos but never pulled the trigger. Of course, I pretty much wasn’t going anywhere to wear them either. :smile:

• Love
Reactions: 880
Ladies, any plans for the fall season? and some key items if you are doing a capsule wardrobe?
I´m doing the usual : a list of new key items and not buying outside the list.
I was very tempted to just go for black and play with silhouettes shapes instead. But I know that going for other softer neutrals and accents of color will be nice.
I have an issue with my weight so hesitant to buy now...I still got a pair of regular straight leg 90´s jeans, an oversize beige blazer and a mid skirt with poka dots which should be good for my upcoming trip to Italy.
But I´m def. aiming at new tailored carrots trousers, wide legs trousers, a soft feminine cardigan, a blazer, and boots and trainers. That´s 6 !
I still have this weird fascination with "work uniforms" and mine is pretty much suits or just the tailored trousers + a cool shirt/blouse

Ladies, any plans for the fall season? and some key items if you are doing a capsule wardrobe?
I´m doing the usual : a list of new key items and not buying outside the list.
I was very tempted to just go for black and play with silhouettes shapes instead. But I know that going for other softer neutrals and accents of color will be nice.
I have an issue with my weight so hesitant to buy now...I still got a pair of regular straight leg 90´s jeans, an oversize beige blazer and a mid skirt with poka dots which should be good for my upcoming trip to Italy.
But I´m def. aiming at new tailored carrots trousers, wide legs trousers, a soft feminine cardigan, a blazer, and boots and trainers. That´s 6 !
I still have this weird fascination with "work uniforms" and mine is pretty much suits or just the tailored trousers + a cool shirt/blouse
I’m going to Italy too! And, I usually have an issue with my middle, and love to eat, so the new taupe pants from lafayette have an elastic waistband :biggrin: if you do light neutrals, they could work as a transitional season (spring/summer) or summer fall pant In a capsule wardrobe. Wolford tank tops run large and are light, loose and thin enough to tuck Under clothes, though I tend to wear them out. Eileen Fisher has elastic waistbanded skirts, in dark neutrals like olive or bordeaux that are pleated like issey miyake, but the former are lined and the pleats are lighter. I like both, but worry less about crushing when I pack EF. And, for a splurge, Dior also makes some of their skirts and sweatpants in elastic waistband. The sweats are flowing and drape nicely enough to wear out to dinner and run very large. I can be a 40-44 in a Dior skirt, depending on whether the waistband is elastic, and am a 34 in the sweats (and even when I was in college in 1985, I was never small enough to be a 34). When I feel thinner, brunello pants are fabulous but pricy (they do go on sale). For brunello, the key is to make sure you haveenough room in the lower leg (big calves issue here too)

Last edited:
I’m going to Italy too! And, I usually have an issue with my middle, and love to eat, so the new taupe pants from lafayette have an elastic waistband :biggrin: if you do light neutrals, they could work as a transitional season (spring/summer) or summer fall pant In a capsule wardrobe. Wolford tank tops run large and are light, loose and thin enough to tuck Under clothes, though I tend to wear them out. Eileen Fisher has elastic waistbanded skirts, in dark neutrals like olive or bordeaux that are pleated like issey miyake, but the former are lined and the pleats are lighter. I like both, but worry less about crushing when I pack EF. And, for a splurge, Dior also makes some of their skirts and sweatpants in elastic waistband. The sweats are flowing and drape nicely enough to wear out to dinner and run very large. I can be a 40-44 in a Dior skirt, depending on whether the waistband is elastic, and am a 34 in the sweats (and even when I was in college in 1985, I was never small enough to be a 34). When I feel thinner, brunello pants are fabulous but pricy (they do go on sale). For brunello, the key is to make sure you haveenough room in the lower leg (big calves issue here too)
Ha fantastic! Actually, apart from my new jeans, the rest are elastic waistband! I am a pear shape so I normally had flat stomach and wider hips but between me ageing, the lockdowns and fibromyalgia therefore lack of physical activity but comfort food made me gain everywhere...
I heard great things about Wolford tank tops and I have a bodysuit and tights, which I love, so I am looking into the Aurora tank.
Brunello is too pricey for me, and I was looking at Acne studios, isabel marant, tiger of sweden, Anine Bing prices thats ok and my limit. But I recently discovered that some Cos, and other stories (just a bit more pricey and better quality than Zara) are good quality to me.

Ha fantastic! Actually, apart from my new jeans, the rest are elastic waistband! I am a pear shape so I normally had flat stomach and wider hips but between me ageing, the lockdowns and fibromyalgia therefore lack of physical activity but comfort food made me gain everywhere...
I heard great things about Wolford tank tops and I have a bodysuit and tights, which I love, so I am looking into the Aurora tank.
Brunello is too pricey for me, and I was looking at Acne studios, isabel marant, tiger of sweden, Anine Bing prices thats ok and my limit. But I recently discovered that some Cos, and other stories (just a bit more pricey and better quality than Zara) are good quality to me.

when I am heavier, I find skirts and dresses more comfy and forgiving than pants lol. I adore Zara and will check out cos and Anine Bing, thank you!

If the aurora tank is the one that is flowy and long, I can attest that it wears like iron. I machine wash cold and dry on low. The white and beige ones show more of my lumps and bumps simoly bc the opaque material is thin, so I find the navy and black are solid workhorse tops, the kind that you grab when you roll out of bed. My frequent usage/ cost per wear makes them reasonable. :smile:

re minimalist wardrobe, for a three week trip, DH and I do carry on luggage only. In one rimowa roller bag, I can fit: 3 lightweight pairs taupe, olive, grey pants; one skinny pleated olive skirt; a lightweight taupe sleeveless (layerable) dress; a grey leopard hoodie techno taffeta dress; some navy and black tanks tops; one short sleeved cardigan; a mouselline GM scarf; a small workout tank and short set (zoom training sessions); a bathing suit (hotel); underpinnings; two pairs of shoes (designer collaboration taupe and green leather camo birkenstocks; taupe valentino flat mules. I’ll take a Dior men’s saddle; an evelyn TPM; and a mini Loewe puzzle, all of which can pack flat; be worn crossbody; and, have minimal hardware. I’m on the fence re a gray Goyard St. Louis, but it packs flat and is light, so not really a problem.

I’ll wear birkenstock sneakers on the plane, a fourth pair of pants, an issey miyake hoodie or cardigan, and a light jacket, probably my Dior tie dye, which can go with everything even the leopard dress. I don’t really pack much in way of toiletries which can be found over there.