The minimalist wardrobe : Support/progress thread

Ok my cc is burnt (as we say in French).
I got hair extensions + an Acne Studios blazer. Boxy oversize big shoulders (which I normally avoid but it’s so trendy ) I feel guilty

It’s not really flattering on the model either. You could tailor it, but then it might be less expensive to get a tailored blazer to begin with. JMO. If you love it and feel amazing in it though, who cares what I think, just wear it and rock it! :smile:

I love the idea thinking about what would be my one outfit for all occasions, but I would have an issue choosing one outfit for both funerals and weddings. I would wear black from head to toe for funerals and no black except for maybe accessories for weddings. I really can't see a way how one outfit would work out. Also, I could choose to wear only black, but honestly that would make me miserable, because this color doesn't really suit me.
If I'd exclude funerals, I would choose a grey silky shirt, dark blue flowy & wide pants that I can tie at the waist, mid-tone powder blue blazer, leather loafers. For winter I'd switch the shirt for a grey cashmere sweater, wear tights under my pants and add a coat.

It wouldn’t work of course. Just mental gymnastics. :lol: Although really, it’s unfair that a man can buy a gorgeous ultra dark navy suit and literally do everything in it and look smashing and appropriate from traveling to weddings, funerals, formal events, sky diving with the queen (although I believe he wore a dinner jacket for that) and apparently, even chasing bad guys on a jet ski. I envy that simplicity and versatility.

Now typically me I’m having second thoughts on if this blazer is too oversize…I have 30 days returns accepted. (Excuse the poor photo quality)
I don't think it looks bad, but it also doesn't look like you spent a lot of money for a blazer that's supposed to fit you perfectly.
I ususally like my blazers a bit oversized, but then I like to wear them open, and a blazer being double-breasted & oversized is too much material in the front for me.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Etriers
I don't think it looks bad, but it also doesn't look like you spent a lot of money for a blazer that's supposed to fit you perfectly.
I ususally like my blazers a bit oversized, but then I like to wear them open, and a blazer being double-breasted & oversized is too much material in the front for me.
Thank you. I actually feel the same as you, double breasted plus open.
So I have decided that, size appart, the material is too thick and more appropriate to wear outside, so it´s going back. Either I may wait until I´m in Paris for tailored made, and otherwise I´ll look for a thinner wool blend. Or which material would you recommend? (to wear autumn to spring)

Last edited:
Thank you. I actually feel the same as you, double breasted plus open.
So I have decided that, size appart, the material is too thick and more appropriate to wear outside, so it´s going back. Either I may wait until I´m in Paris for tailored made, and otherwise I´ll look for a thinner wool blend. Or which material would you recommend? (to wear autumn to spring)

if you have your jacket tailor made, they will probably have beautiful fabrics for you to peruse, but in general a super-100 (or above) worsted merino wool is considered excellent. The higher the number, the lighter and finer the fabric, so a jacket you could wear in Summer might be 180. The number is the number of times the strand of wool is twisted.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and mellecyn
I was reading the blog of the Curated Closet gal last night and laughed when I read that she does wardrobe mental gymnastics as well to try to improve her wardrobe and really drill down to the essence of her style. She asks herself questions like, “If I could only have 10 items in my wardrobe, what would they be?” and “If I were a cartoon character, what would my 1 character defining outfit be?” I thought those were both interesting questions.

• Love
Reactions: mellecyn and 880
I als9 have. A large head lol. I like buying men’s hats. Also I prefer the more tailored less frou frou style of men’s.

I actually think once you have truly purged a lot of stuff from your wardrobe, sometimes you do need to buy a bit more to refine or define your style. . . IMO it’s a process.

congrats @lill_canele in your successful closet!

@jelliedfeels, I would love t9 see pics of your perfect outfits! The green pants suit sounds really intriguing to me :biggrin:
Hello 880,
Sorry for my belated reply. I’ve got this one of the maxi dress but I couldn’t get a good one of me in the jumpsuit so I just took a pic of the outfit & yes I am very pregnant not just a very odd shape111FB960-900B-473D-9616-0A07C391384E.jpegEE30E20E-BEED-4482-87F6-83994F7687A8.jpeg9713A445-85E9-489C-968B-978B873A5059.jpeg :lol:

Now typically me I’m having second thoughts on if this blazer is too oversize…I have 30 days returns accepted. (Excuse the poor photo quality)

I like it.

Oversized blazers are definitely the in-thing and really, IMHO, they've been "in" for so long, the look is considered quite classic (although tbf, i'm late 20s-early 30s and my own personal style tends to lean more French & Korean than American...which might explain why I own a few such blazers myself).

Reactions: Etriers
I like it.

Oversized blazers are definitely the in-thing and really, IMHO, they've been "in" for so long, the look is considered quite classic (although tbf, i'm late 20s-early 30s and my own personal style tends to lean more French & Korean than American...which might explain why I own a few such blazers myself).
Yes, It is a lasting macro trend. I will now look at other brands such as Cos, in a thinner material I can wear indoor.

I was reading the blog of the Curated Closet gal last night and laughed when I read that she does wardrobe mental gymnastics as well to try to improve her wardrobe and really drill down to the essence of her style. She asks herself questions like, “If I could only have 10 items in my wardrobe, what would they be?” and “If I were a cartoon character, what would my 1 character defining outfit be?” I thought those were both interesting questions.
These are great questions! I have been reading all the "principles" Amy Smilovic founder of Tibi, described. And this is what I had been missing all along...But I describe myself as quite the Creative Pragmatist she describes. Classifying your items in Without Fail, In and out, Have to have. So the list in the Without Fail is already quite long....trousers, skirts, blazers, tops. I definitely need that boxy or oversize blazer.
On another note I finally received a black full skirt (like a Tibi or Prada style), handmade and ordered on Etsy and omg the shape and lines...I gave her my size, the length I desired and it´s so much better than anything I would have bought in shops.

Too late I know but I love this blazer. I don’t even find it so oversized because of the small shoulders. I believe it is the same cut of an orange Acne I have.

But I was just going to say, for me on most people who are not towering super thin models, oversized blazers (specially a double breasted one) look best with skinny pants, leggings or cigarette and straight jeans, perhaps bycicle shorts and the like, but nothin wider than that.

Apropos of nothing…Why do I hate the term capsule wardrobe so intensely? :lol: What is a capsule wardrobe anyway—it’s just clothes that go together. It’s not even really less clothes is it? But people write books about it like it’s rocket science. And why capsule? Lol! I accept that I may be missing the point.
:lol:
I would think it is capsule because it is what you would put in a capsule to be left for aliens to know how we dress? But I have no idea! Anyone knows?

I also find it quite extraordinary how so much can be written and said about this, particularly when every capsule wardrobe I’ve seen described is always the same: a white tee, a white shirt, a trench, a great pair of jeans… I mean, really?

Too late I know but I love this blazer. I don’t even find it so oversized because of the small shoulders. I believe it is the same cut of an orange Acne I have.

But I was just going to say, for me on most people who are not towering super thin models, oversized blazers (specially a double breasted one) look best with skinny pants, leggings or cigarette and straight jeans, perhaps bycicle shorts and the like, but nothin wider than that.

:lol:
I would think it is capsule because it is what you would put in a capsule to be left for aliens to know how we dress? But I have no idea! Anyone knows?

I also find it quite extraordinary how so much can be written and said about this, particularly when every capsule wardrobe I’ve seen described is always the same: a white tee, a white shirt, a trench, a great pair of jeans… I mean, really?
Sometimes it can be difficult to "own" a style thats so new and different for me. And I think you are right concerning the silhouette. Oversize top = skinny bottom. Otherwise it´s a giant shapeless blurb that just eats you up.
Haha capsule....well it sounds right, like "curated". I end up with the wrong capsule and just feel blah like I have nothing to wear.

These are great questions! I have been reading all the "principles" Amy Smilovic founder of Tibi, described. And this is what I had been missing all along...But I describe myself as quite the Creative Pragmatist she describes. Classifying your items in Without Fail, In and out, Have to have. So the list in the Without Fail is already quite long....trousers, skirts, blazers, tops. I definitely need that boxy or oversize blazer.
On another note I finally received a black full skirt (like a Tibi or Prada style), handmade and ordered on Etsy and omg the shape and lines...I gave her my size, the length I desired and it´s so much better than anything I would have bought in shops.
OMG, I love Tibi and follow them and Amy on Instagram! I've heard of Tibi for a while but nothing really caught my eye until I saw a recent ad for the Tibi Style Class (on You Tube/Insta) and fell in love with just about everything. Now all I can think about is Tibi! Funny how that happens! At least you can find some great deals on TRR. I've already ordered 2 things on TRR, one dress from The Outnet, and a pair of denim culottes right from Tibi. Amy is so talented and interesting to listen to....I've learned so much from those style classes!!