Mansur Gavriel The MG BUCKET BAG Thread – post pics, ask questions, and chat about your buckets here

Thanks for the quick feedback!

Funny about how much it's worth in terms of resale. I was just on the Apple site seeing what I would get for my iPad and Mac if I traded up. My iPad was top of the line, fully loaded ... now I'd get $165 back. The laptop was worse - $100. Ugh.

I've learned with bags you jump and hope if you decide to sell down the road you can make a little back. Usually you don't.

I like the idea that it's light - I overstuff/overcarry. Though I opted for a nylon backpack recently and was kind of loving it. Which shocked me. I think I'm more concerned about it just looking kind of dated. Especially at that price. Or am I wrong and it's just a classic shape that is somewhat less popular now?

And yes, Tech resales hurt a lot hahaha! doesn't matter if it's a laptop im still using my ip6 cause it hasn't died yet and im pretty sure it's worth $50 now :P

i think i hit enter pretty quickly on that last bit, as i was saying.. it doesn't matter if it's a laptop, tablet or phone. they don't hold value anymore. sadly i think it's the same with these bags. but i don't think that's what its meant for. :smile:

For me, it's over. It's been done to death by every company and MG were so popular and hard to get then they expanded their collection too fast and upped the prices. People lost interest and now you can buy them anywhere and if you do decide to resell you get about $100 back.

Not worth it anymore, I well and truly got over them and the whole bucket style in general very quickly.

I agree that MG buckets are no longer exclusive like they once were, don’t hold the same value and there are loads of copies. I think other brands do more unique buckets that will stand the test if time though. I have sold most of my MG’s but still love my mini black bucket and mini crossbody.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

I don’t think the bucket bag trend is necessarily over but like posters above me said I think other brands probably do it better and MG isn’t as exclusive as they used to be. I wouldn’t pay full price for one now and the resale is really low. I do love bucket bags and I own a couple in other brands now. The style works for me.

I agree that MG buckets are no longer exclusive like they once were, don’t hold the same value and there are loads of copies. I think other brands do more unique buckets that will stand the test if time though. I have sold most of my MG’s but still love my mini black bucket and mini crossbody.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

I don’t think the bucket bag trend is necessarily over but like posters above me said I think other brands probably do it better and MG isn’t as exclusive as they used to be. I wouldn’t pay full price for one now and the resale is really low. I do love bucket bags and I own a couple in other brands now. The style works for me.

Thanks for these perspectives. It's kind of sad considering how white hot MG was when it launched and the bags really were unique. I have looked at a Sophie Hulme bucket, which has more hardware on it so it's a bit of a different look. Not sure how widely sold she is outside the UK?

I never buy a bag wondering what i might get if I resell it. I mean, I don't consider them to be investments. And I know buckets are a look like any other bag (tote, saddle bag, what have you). Maybe I should look at some other designers.

hello, everyone! i am interested in a mini mini bucket to wear out at night, casually, and on weekends, so i thought maybe the suede one. any insight? thank you very much

I don't have any suede from MG but in general, I'm more reticent to buy suede pieces that rub against the body when you walk, like a bucket bag as opposed to something hand held. If it's a dark colour, I think it wouldn't show wear and dirt as much but lighter colours are prone to do so.

Hello all-
Just wanted to share a patina'd veg tanned bucket i purchased way back when they were selling out like nobody's business (around 2015). I got a camello/orange, conditioned and sprayed it with a protector when received. I'm very hard with this piece and there are dark marks at the corners but I love how dark it has gotten (i was wanting the brandy first but ultimately glad that I got what I got), also don't mind the scratches but think it's time for a conditioning treatment. MG Camello.jpg

I just got a suede bucket bag today and was nervous about it. OMG! It's my favourite bag now! It's light, easy access, and comfortable to wear. So happy. Anyone have any advice for me about upkeep?

Despite the lack of resale value, I love the brand and the aesthetic. I finally scored on the sample sale website with a hefty discount! :smile: Check out my video for the reveal. I've been waiting for the sample sale to move to California and am impressed with their customer service support!

Reactions: ukixsicle
Good perspective. Yeah, probably best not to ever factor in resale. Just whether the item (bags or laptops!) work for you.
THIS. For me, bags are not about resale value (prob. explains why I own no Louis or Hermes - and I cannot quite frankly afford the latter, without having to save up for like a year.). It's whether they work for me, and they all do! The three MG bags I have date back to 2015, and all of them are still in great shape. Still get asked about them all the time.
*especially about the pouches which I use as wallets with my other bags.

Okay, I scored my first MG bag at sample sale (it's the cutest mini mini in coral) and it looks perfect except for one pulled stitch at the bottom! :sad: Is it something to be worried about? Is it gonna pull more?? :confused1: So upsetting because I don't think it's really considered a defect and the sample sale is final...
IMG_2325.JPG fullsizeoutput_151b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_151d.jpeg