The Loewe Puzzle

I know there is a lot of negative sentiment about the Puzzle Edge, but I wanted to share my thoughts after owning both the classic Puzzle and the Edge versions for 2 years and 1.5 years, respectively.

I purchased both bags from the Loewe boutique. Between the two bags, I have used my Warm Desert Edge bag much more. I own several bags, and the Edge was the most worn bag for me for all of 2022 and so far in 2023. It was my main every work bag, as well as weekend bag. There are a few reasons for this.

1) If you feel the bag in person (please make sure it's authentic) or in the boutique, it's absolutely heavenly. Probably because mine is made out of Nappa leather, which is my favorite Loewe leather. It smells amazing, even after using it hundreds of times. If you see the picture below, it still looks brand new (I took the photos today). It has held up amazingly, despite not ever babying it.
2) In the authentic nappa Edge bag, you will notice that under the flap, it is actually suede (the same luscious suede that's inside the Flamenco bags), and even the areas underneath the tiny "flaps" where the puzzle pieces connect on the front, are suede underneath. It's a really extra special touch that was not necessary, but really adds to the luxurious feel when opening/closing the bag.
3) There is something about how the Edge bags in nappa leather slouches that makes it so special!

I can't say much about the Edge versions made in other leathers such as satin calfskin etc, but I definitely don't think that the Edge bags are constructed with "lower" quality in any way whatsoever.

**Lastly, I think it's really important to say that BOTH of these Puzzle bags in this blog post mentioned before in this thread are fake**

I know because I accidentally purchased a fake classic Puzzle bag online a few years ago before ever seeing a Loewe bag in person (I wanted the original classic with feet, which is what I got). It had the same wonky stitching, as well as the extra "seam" in the classic puzzle that is noticeable in all fake bags. I had that bag authenticated, and it came back as fake (even though I believed it was real for a few months). Fakes/duplicates these days are scarily real, but if you see and feel a Puzzle bag in person at a retailer or at the boutique, you will tell the difference. It wasn't until I went into a real store and felt the Puzzle in person that I realized the one I bought online was fake.
Even in this blogpost's classic Puzzle, which it recommends as "better" than the Edge, my fake one had the exact same disconnected "seam" in the gap that this one does. If you see Puzzle bags from the boutique, absolutely none of them have this seam. This is a telltale sign of a fake Puzzle, so please be careful when shopping online! There is also no way that any authentic Loewe bag would have the terrible construction that this blogpost shows.

As both bags in this blogpost are not real Puzzle bags, please take that blog review with a grain of salt. I absolutely love both of my Puzzle bags, and can attest to the truly phenomenal quality after using them daily for two years. :smile: I feel like after my horrible experience accidentally purchasing and using a fake bag, I can authenticate most Puzzle bags at this point! Haha

View attachment 5818109

View attachment 5818110
Hi I know this is an old post but I’m looking to buy a Puzzle Edge and have a question about the leather choices. Is your Napa leather the same as the mellow calfskin or is it the classic calfskin (these are the two current options on the website besides grained or satin). I found your post to be very helpful and am wondering which one you have since you love it so much, and I’m hoping to get one that is nice and slouchy. Thank you!

Hi I know this is an old post but I’m looking to buy a Puzzle Edge and have a question about the leather choices. Is your Napa leather the same as the mellow calfskin or is it the classic calfskin (these are the two current options on the website besides grained or satin). I found your post to be very helpful and am wondering which one you have since you love it so much, and I’m hoping to get one that is nice and slouchy. Thank you!
I'm glad this post was helpful!
The nappa leather of my Puzzle Edge is neither of those, actually--it's the same leather as on the nappa leather on the Flamenco bags. According to my SA, the Puzzle Edge bag that I own has been discontinued (it was a special version that was not meant to be part of the permanent collection). However, if you're looking for maximum slouchiness out of the current options, I'd recommend the classic calfskin. Although I also have a classic Puzzle with the soft grained calfskin, the Edge versions I've seen online in the soft grained calfskin seem to be stiffer than mine (which is super, super slouchy).
I've never felt the mellow calfskin in person but based on what I can see, it looks luxurious--perhaps the closest to the nappa one that I own! Especially with the suede interior (mine also has suede side under the flap). Do you live near a Loewe store and can feel the bags in person? If not, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those leathers!
The only one I'd perhaps stay away from is the satin calfskin--that felt very stiff when I tried it in person.

I'm glad this post was helpful!
The nappa leather of my Puzzle Edge is neither of those, actually--it's the same leather as on the nappa leather on the Flamenco bags. According to my SA, the Puzzle Edge bag that I own has been discontinued (it was a special version that was not meant to be part of the permanent collection). However, if you're looking for maximum slouchiness out of the current options, I'd recommend the classic calfskin. Although I also have a classic Puzzle with the soft grained calfskin, the Edge versions I've seen online in the soft grained calfskin seem to be stiffer than mine (which is super, super slouchy).
I've never felt the mellow calfskin in person but based on what I can see, it looks luxurious--perhaps the closest to the nappa one that I own! Especially with the suede interior (mine also has suede side under the flap). Do you live near a Loewe store and can feel the bags in person? If not, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those leathers!
The only one I'd perhaps stay away from is the satin calfskin--that felt very stiff when I tried it in person.
Thanks so much for the info! I did go into the Loewe store in NYC not too long ago and felt the Edge grained leather in person and it was MUCH stiffer than what I expected. The leather felt very stiff and not soft at all, nothing like the grained on the original Puzzle that people talk about. I didnt get a chance to see the classic or mellow calfskin so I’ll plan to go back and check those out instead! Im hoping to get a leather that will slouch and soften with time, since I already own too many structured bags and want something more malleable and soft.

If you’re referring to the classic puzzle, it’s possible albeit very rare for the classic design to still come into store. Get an SA to keep a lookout for you if you can. I happened upon a classic puzzle and bought it in store last week, after SAs said they hadn’t seen it for months, only the edge. I was really lucky because I just randomly decided to look at the puzzle again after years of liking it and it came in stock like that. I also missed the chance to buy it cheaper like you the last few years but it’s fine, everything happens for a reason. If I got it when I did 4 years ago I would’ve gotten the white anagram but i prefer the black debossed anagram on my puzzle now. And yeah I got it more expensive, but I got it when it’s technically discontinued now so definitely a worthy purchase.
Thanks so much lexi8! I will definitely reach out to the SA too. I totally wrote that option off. I'm also scanning the reseller sites now.

Hi all, I managned to get my hands on the Puzzle in midnight Navy/Black which I have been after for years! It's amazing and has a great slouch and seems extremely durable. I also have the black puzzle in satin calfskin, which I love to look at but I hardly use it because it is not durable and likley to scratch, plus it's very structured and seems bulky when worn cross body. The leather doesn't seem to slouch without forcing it to and it just feels uncomfortable to wear :sad: I wear mainly black so prefer black bags, and love the gold hardware, but as I can't keep both due to finances I need to sell one! Which one should go? Help me!

Attachments

• Puzzles.jpg
    Puzzles.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 54
Hi all, I managned to get my hands on the Puzzle in midnight Navy/Black which I have been after for years! It's amazing and has a great slouch and seems extremely durable. I also have the black puzzle in satin calfskin, which I love to look at but I hardly use it because it is not durable and likley to scratch, plus it's very structured and seems bulky when worn cross body. The leather doesn't seem to slouch without forcing it to and it just feels uncomfortable to wear :sad: I wear mainly black so prefer black bags, and love the gold hardware, but as I can't keep both due to finances I need to sell one! Which one should go? Help me!
Keep the one you'll actually use. I'm sure the other one will sell.

Is there any difference between “shiny calfskin” and “mellow calfskin”?

I see the new small with the braided handle is “mellow calfskin”. It has a suede interior. This looks nice!

But the men’s puzzle soft large (which also has suede lined interior) is “shiny calfskin”.

Does anyone know if these two leathers are the same?

Is there any difference between “shiny calfskin” and “mellow calfskin”?

I see the new small with the braided handle is “mellow calfskin”. It has a suede interior. This looks nice!

But the men’s puzzle soft large (which also has suede lined interior) is “shiny calfskin”.

Does anyone know if these two leathers are the same?
The Leather's are a mystery! They should go into detail on the website as it's very confusing. I asked their customer service about mallow calfskin and they said it was somewhere in between the satin calfskin and classic calfskin

• Thanks
Reactions: Annawakes
From what you have said it seems like you love the navy one more than the black. You mentioned some negatives for the black one but none for the navy. Maybe try wearing the navy for a while around the house for a while just to confirm thar that one doesn't also feel bulky or uncomfortable to you. If you prefer the navy keep it and sell the other. If you kept the one that wasn't perfect and sent back the one that was you'd regret it and it would be harder to find again

I've just picked up the mini Puzzle Edge in sand, it was discounted so I was very pleased about that. Not sure about the opening though, getting my phone in and out is a bit tricky. Does anyone here have the mini in grained calfskin and does it soften fairly quickly? I think the volume is sufficient for my needs, it's just fiddly.

Does this model look like the classic (not edge)?

Does this model look like the classic (not edge)?
This one looks like the classic version to me!