‘The It Bag is dead: the whole thing was just getting revolting'

I think 'I'm not a Plastic Bag' was definitely an It bag. In her book, an It bag is probably a bad thing, ephemeral and overpriced.

The "I am not a Plastic Bag" was probably a hit only in the UK. I never saw one in real life and could not care less, let alone queueing to get one. You can buy sturdy, supermarket canvas bags from any supermarket, therefore cashing out whatever this Hindmarch woman was charging for her bag sounds pretty silly to me.

Moreover, she is totally unknown in many European countries - for sure nobody ever heard of her in Italy, if you'd mention her name you get an blank stare. I really don't see her as an outstanding name in the bag business, regardless of her turnover.

Finally the only reason I know about her is exactly because Jolie was carrying an Hindmarch "It" bag - the same thing she is declaring dead is what put her on map in the first place. Quite hypocrite.

The number of people who are influenced by notions such as an "it" bag is, in the grand scheme of things, actually relatively low. We here on tPF are more attuned to such things, of course. But, really, among the general population, it's my perception that this is not a major social issue. The problem -- as others have mentioned -- of many people spending beyond their means as a result of credit extended irresponsibly by banks and other lenders is, as we now know, a huge issue. Let's hope we can all -- consumers and financial institutions alike -- learn from this market "correction".

Well I must say that I whilst she sounds like a great lady, she cant singlehandedly predict that the IT bag is over. I have found things hard recently, but I still bought my bag this season. I cut back on other things, thats my choice. If I didnt buy the bag it wouldnt save my world. I just eat out less and have less take out coffees. Its a delicate balance.

The "I am not a Plastic Bag" was probably a hit only in the UK.

Driving through Manhattan shortly after the American release of the bag, I saw dozens of women carrying them. I think they were an "It" bag here, but their popularity wasn't lasting because they were too popular. Sort of like a one hit wonder.

Why does anyone care what other people are buying? I truly do not give a toss who buys what; I'm only interested in what I buy for myself. With the credit crunch looming and banks not guaranteeing our savings, it makes sense to put your money into Fendi (or whatever you like) far more than sticking it in the bank. :smile:

To be fair, I think worldwide there was a feeling that we all deserved to have luxury in our lives, whether or not we could totally afford it. I don't think it's a new phenomenon either- remember when you had to have Guess jeans? Back in the day, $70 some odd dollars for denim made you the rich girl at a lot of schools- today its $200 denim AND a coach/louis/etc bag. It just spun out of control. The problem is that people did spend more than they could afford and we are facing a credit crisis. I think that those who didn't spend are just miffed that they are being asked to share a burden they didn't create.
If the IT bag is dead (and people have been saying it for awhile now) I am sure something else will come along to replace it. We are a country that runs on consumption and credit after all.

extra thought- I wonder how she'd feel if she was seen as an it bag hitmaker and not a more subversive choice?

A little bit 'crocodile teary' I think, but interesting nonetheless. I think the recessionary climate WILL affect sales of designer bags. Even if people don't currently have financial problems they're aware of that crisis of confidence that can make them feel guilty about being ostentatious and shallow-sounding. The last bag I bought cost me under £100 on eBay and is absolutely gorgeous.

i really dont think people are in financial crisis bc they are buying too many handbags with their extra money.. i think it has more to do with taking out mortgages they cant afford, then paying for their childrens college, trying to live in a good school district, etc... i feel bad for these people, bc the housing market was sky high so they thought their houses were worth more than they actually are now... i really dont think it has anything to do with people's need for the "it" bag...

I felt the same way. For a while there were many people who couldn't afford the bag but bought it anyways just because it was a status simble. They were faking themself rich. To me, they were a knock off as a human- they're bag may not be fake but they are! Why do people need to pretend to be glamorous? I don't mind people who save or charge it & pay it off right away who doesn't have money. But people who just get it & act like they are the paris hilton- no need! Save the job for someone else who accually has it. Pretty isn't snoby its being yourself. I hope all these 'Want it NOW- pay for it whenever' people will learn by the crisis were in. Peace.

Huh? Faking themselves rich? Pretending to be glamorous?

It's just a purse. Purses don't speak for people or their intentions; they're just something to hold belongings. Now if someone SAYS "I'm rich" and they're not, then that's another story.

i really dont think people are in financial crisis bc they are buying too many handbags with their extra money.. i think it has more to do with taking out mortgages they cant afford, then paying for their childrens college, trying to live in a good school district, etc... i feel bad for these people, bc the housing market was sky high so they thought their houses were worth more than they actually are now... i really dont think it has anything to do with people's need for the "it" bag...

^ ITA. :tup: