The Holiday Thread

So I am usually as far away from any carnival shenanigans as I can even without a pandemic or a war, but I never fail to make traditional...donuts I guess the Sunday before Ash Wednesday (or rather, the Sunday after Fat Thursday). They are different from "real" donuts as it's a soft non-yeast dough based on quark/curd cheese leavened with baking powder. I feel tired this year but if I can muster up the energy I'll post pictures.

It's Shrove Tuesday (pancake day) this Tuesday! It's a very big event in the UK (not sure about other Christian countries) and everyone I know makes pancakes. British/European are different to American pancakes and are a lot thinner, like crepes. A very traditional topic, which happens to be my favourite, is lemon juice and sugar. :love: pancakes-sugar-lemon.jpeg

It's Shrove Tuesday (pancake day) this Tuesday! It's a very big event in the UK (not sure about other Christian countries) and everyone I know makes pancakes. British/European are different to American pancakes and are a lot thinner, like crepes. A very traditional topic, which happens to be my favourite, is lemon juice and sugar. :love: View attachment 5339229
They look good, very different from what we have in Canada. I will try them next time I make pancakes. I serve ours with fresh warm applesauce.

Reactions: jaskg144
So yesterday I fell asleep and when I woke up it was too late to start baking. I try not to eat too many treats outside of the weekend, but today I thought it's been 2+ years of a pandemic with no real end in sight, and we are threatened by atomic war and having the ISS dropped onto our heads, so I'll eat all the pizza and donuts I want.

I usually do half a batch with raisins/sultanas and half a batch plain to meet all tastes. It is a soft but not liquid batter that is deepfryed (I portion it out with a small cookie scoop - they will puff up and have the perfect size), then rolled in caster sugar (granulated is fine, I just always buy caster anyway).

They are best eaten fresh but can be revived in the microwave if you nuke them for a few seconds.

20220228_155947.jpg

20220228_163808.jpg

20220228_164358.jpg

It's Shrove Tuesday (pancake day) this Tuesday! It's a very big event in the UK (not sure about other Christian countries) and everyone I know makes pancakes. British/European are different to American pancakes and are a lot thinner, like crepes. A very traditional topic, which happens to be my favourite, is lemon juice and sugar. :love: View attachment 5339229

I come from an area where many people used to have pancakes on Fridays or Saturdays for lunch...they are either topped with fruit (apples and plums are favourites) or bacon or smoked sausage. When I say topped I mean they are baked into the batter. I love all things lemon so now I want to try your version.

So yesterday I fell asleep and when I woke up it was too late to start baking. I try not to eat too many treats outside of the weekend, but today I thought it's been 2+ years of a pandemic with no real end in sight, and we are threatened by atomic war and having the ISS dropped onto our heads, so I'll eat all the pizza and donuts I want.

I usually do half a batch with raisins/sultanas and half a batch plain to meet all tastes. It is a soft but not liquid batter that is deepfryed (I portion it out with a small cookie scoop - they will puff up and have the perfect size), then rolled in caster sugar (granulated is fine, I just always buy caster anyway).

They are best eaten fresh but can be revived in the microwave if you nuke them for a few seconds.

View attachment 5339436

View attachment 5339438

View attachment 5339441
It's been years/decades since I've done deep-fried donuts. I've been doing the baked ones. Your pictures, I can taste those. Brings back memories of being in my childhood kitchen getting to shake them in a brown paperbag to sugarcoat them. Thanks for the memory.

• Love
Reactions: QueenofWrapDress
It's been years/decades since I've done deep-fried donuts. I've been doing the baked ones. Your pictures, I can taste those. Brings back memories of being in my childhood kitchen getting to shake them in a brown paperbag to sugarcoat them. Thanks for the memory.

Now...why did I never think of using a paperbag! I will totally do that next year. We also made Berliner which can be fried or baked, but my batter is too soft for baking, you'd get pancakes haha. When I think about it, we have tons of fried and deepfried donuts and pancakes, both sweet and savory. But people eat differently nowadays. I'm not even afraid of fat and I make them exactly once a year.