The Holiday Thread

Baking is such an exact science - it’s too much for me. I find making gingerbread too stressful.
There’s a bakers ratio With lots of room for error. Flour is always expressed as 100%

I bought a cheap digital scale and it’s so much easier than measuring cups :smile:. One thing I love about desserts is that unlike individual cookies, it’s one pan and done. I adore gingerbread and love to read Laurie Colwins writing about gingerbread and black cake around the holidays

ive found making sourdough rolls, crackers, brioche, simple cake, so much easier bc a moist kneaded dough, handled with oiled hands, will always produce a solid result

from maida heatters Book of Great Desserts (I stir and aerate, but do NOT sift. i also check sifted amounts by weight, bc aerated flour is a lesser weight/amount)
97DA4E2D-14B7-4B65-A44C-A663BC2BE4BC.jpeg
usually make hampers for anyone outside my immediate family that I want to give a gift to (husband's cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.) and also give nicer hampers to my in-laws and parents
This sounds so lovely! I took the lazy way out and ordered babkas last year.

I love baking, I find it super relaxing...maybe because you have to be all there, measure exactly and pay attention to details? I've had my fair share of fails too, though. This year I'm ordering all my presents online, I just can't be bothered to go outside and face people
agree 100% except I kind of improvise and sometimes, well it doesn’t work :smile:
I'm keeping it simple for once. BUT: do you have a suggestion for dessert? I have a smaller group the 24th and a bigger crowd the 25th and I'm going back and forth between elaborate creations and just buying icecream
Homemade ice cream. As easy as a five minute custard that can be infused with anything, and people are usually happy to have homemade flavors.

otherwise, something homespun. . . deoending on the crowd.

my big crowd is thanksgiving, and despite promises to keep it simple, it never is. . . This year, we ordered a whole roast pig and also had duck magret, lamb, and arctic char, along with the usual sides, plus a table of homemade desserts And desserts that guests brought. A super easy appetizer is homemade salt cured Foie gras torchon ( no cooking)

EB31A315-73D1-4442-9014-C8F05578C8BC.jpeg8D156E8C-70FD-42F6-B3D6-47C9E5EBC354.jpeg4B2D64EE-2020-44AD-8923-47A1D2BC92CF.jpegE323BA0A-3A71-47E2-A346-E89818861563.jpeg83852AE7-11FF-4228-A199-4899FF8AC035.jpeg624ACDD4-8E06-4178-BEEA-E75F91D00805.jpegAD7F7DAF-4745-4DA4-9E10-F4A40C427FB2.jpegB5AE0B1A-92A9-4608-AF73-1F59B5287BE0.jpegDEEBDB52-A624-4FD3-859E-03443DFA0E72.jpeg

Last edited:
There’s a bakers ratio With lots of room for error. Flour is always expressed as 100%

I bought a cheap digital scale and it’s so much easier than measuring cups :smile:. One thing I love about desserts is that unlike individual cookies, it’s one pan and done. I adore gingerbread and love to read Laurie Colwins writing about gingerbread and black cake around the holidays

ive found making sourdough rolls, crackers, brioche, simple cake, so much easier bc a moist kneaded dough, handled with oiled hands, will always produce a solid result

from maida heatters Book of Great Desserts (I stir and aerate, but do NOT sift. i also check sifted amounts by weight, bc aerated flour is a lesser weight/amount)
View attachment 5664862

agree 100% except I kind of improvise and sometimes, well it doesn’t work :smile:

Homemade ice cream. As easy as a five minute custard that can be infused with anything, and people are usually happy to have homemade flavors.

my big crowd is thanksgiving, and despite promises to keep it simple, it never is. . . This year, we ordered a whole roast pig and also had duck magret, lamb, and arctic char, along with the usual sides, plus a table of homemade desserts And desserts that guests brought. A super easy appetizer is homemade salt cured Foie gras torchon ( no cooking)

View attachment 5664829View attachment 5664830View attachment 5664831View attachment 5664832View attachment 5664833View attachment 5664834View attachment 5664835View attachment 5664836View attachment 5664837

Oh I love a good spread. My love language is definitely feeding people, and feeding them generously. I'm super squeamish with animal parts, though. I would have shed tears over that pig :crybaby:

We do a full turkey lunch the 26th with three courses (I'm usually skipping the main so I can have more soup), but for dinner we do cold cuts, a cheese platter, a salad platter, homemade bread, a few dips and compound butters and fruit salad. I so prefer the evening because I'm a huge grazer.

• Thanks
Reactions: jennlt and 880
Oh I love a good spread. My love language is definitely feeding people, and feeding them generously. I'm super squeamish with animal parts, though. I would have shed tears over that pig :crybaby:

We do a full turkey lunch the 26th with three courses (I'm usually skipping the main so I can have more soup), but for dinner we do cold cuts, a cheese platter, a salad platter, homemade bread, a few dips and compound butters and fruit salad. I so prefer the evening because I'm a huge grazer.
Agree! when we have a large group, we move it to my moms place which is bigger and she has help who carve and deal with the scary aftermath. I suggested that they make a brown stock with the bones that could be used in bean soups or cassoulet. i sat away from the animal myself

your lunch and dinner sound lovely!

ETA: I prefer grazing myself, bc by the time the dinner rolls around and guests arrive, I’m sick of the food and would just as soon order a pizza :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: QueenofWrapDress

I serve a lot of plowman’s dinner. A favourite of ours. I’d much rather bread than sweet any day. Today’s bread fresh from the oven. 55EE36D0-DCAF-4623-A17A-3CBC6AA62FDB.jpeg

I serve a lot of plowman’s dinner. A favourite of ours. I’d much rather bread than sweet any day. Today’s bread fresh from the oven. View attachment 5664939
How gorgeous! I love your food photography

a dessert option might be sticky toffee pudding in a Bundt mold inspired by a TPF friend. Since i am a maximalist, extra toffee sauce and homemade ice cream

Last edited:

View attachment 5664862

View attachment 5664829View attachment 5664830View attachment 5664831View attachment 5664832View attachment 5664833View attachment 5664834View attachment 5664835View attachment 5664836View attachment 5664837
Yum, I’ll be right there. :biggrin:

• Thanks
Reactions: 880
Yum, I’ll be right there. :biggrin:
You are more than welcome! Pls bring some of your leftover bread :biggrin:

I was experimenting with a Filipino brioche called ensaimada. . .my memory of it is a very slightly sweet, rich brioche with hints of sharp cheese, no buttercream. made with a sponge, then several cold, slow rises. When I was young, I recall my grandmother giving me a four page handwritten ensaimada recipe on yellow legal pad, but I have no idea where that went. But, I’m easily distracted, and when I came across this recipe (unrelated to ensaimada), I decided that it might be a good holiday thing to try after (I tend to tinker with recipes, especially bread ones, so it may go sideways, but custard is always a good idea in my mind)

Ive always made simple loaves of brioche or, if sweet, a savarin kind of thing, but I bought brioche cups which are new to me

ETA: plus an orange cake with whole oranges, peel and all puréed into it (recipe from food52 — the jury is still out)
and a maida Heatter chocolate pound cake with choclate butter ganache. My frosting skills are seriously out of practice and I cannot find my offset icing spatula, but no matter lol

CAADDF71-2056-4AF7-B23C-96C19555DAF4.jpegB35B6BE2-0F0B-4988-9D03-E8977B0E4064.jpegD3FA9155-5D88-452A-88D2-223E63A3A04D.jpeg4705A68B-B7B2-41CC-86DB-86DBEC6E22F0.jpeg197CFA16-FC04-4F0F-9F07-F03A9915A1AE.jpeg

Last edited:
I have made a Swiss rustic baguette type of bread the past few Christmases, but I think I might just do the NYT Low Knead bread this year because we really love the taste and texture. I usually do one plain, one walnut and one fried onion loaf, but maybe I'll do something fun like dried tomato and feta or hazelnut and cranberry.

Or maybe I'll try the Low Knead dough shaped like the Swiss bread? It's twisted like a gnarled root and I could bake two on one sheet. Maybe I'll go all out and do a preferment. The sky's the limit :lol:

Last edited:

View attachment 5664862

Lechon! :nuts: My all time favorite! Probably the only and best reason I remain a carnivore!

• Haha
Reactions: 880