The Good, the Bad, and The Birkin

Missed you gina_b -- good to see your posts! And I totally agree with you -- see it all the time, unfortunately...

But, as others have said here, and is demonstrated time and again -- money can buy lots, but it cannot buy class or manners. And it always pains me when the classless are the possessors of a birkin or Kelly bag............

All classes of people have all classes of manners IMO!! I think people who drive certain cards think they're better than others - live in certain neighborhoods, etc. It does all come done to manners and kindness. It is just hard to see mean people in general....

I don't think it's the Birkin that makes you act either way. It's how you've been raised, and how confident you are about yourself. Most people will treat others meanly because it's the only way to feel better about themselves. I have a co-worker who does that *all* the time, and she only owns a (fake, mind you) LV.

Bottom line is, and please excuse my french, *****es will always be *****es. Birkin or not.

^^ Kat: YES!

Hi FRH! :biggrin:

Funny and shoes, oh yes I share that pain, whether I'm part of the story or not. It's unfortunate that poor comportment ruins anything of beauty around it.

(And MrsSparkles, you are so spot on. I do hope that woman stumbles across this thread and is duly shamed.)

[edit] Sadly, MissM, that's the world we live in. Wouldn't it be great if this forum's members influenced the world to change all that? You know what they say about the wings of a butterfly -- that their fluttering can cause a tidal wave on the other side of the world. Why not a little trend towards good etiquette from tpfers across the globe? :smile: (One can hope, right?)

I've met lots of nice Birkin toting women, and a few not so nice. That sense of entitlement is obnoxious in any setting. And talking down to an SA is a sure-fire sign that one is tremendously insecure and must find a way to feel better by making someone else feel lousy. Someone with class treats everyone with respect. Period.

Wouldn't it be great if this forum's members influenced the world to change all that? You know what they say about the wings of a butterfly -- that their fluttering can cause a tidal wave on the other side of the world. Why not a little trend towards good etiquette from tpfers across the globe? :smile: (One can hope, right?)

Very well said, gina. I very much hope so too.

I have seen bad behaviour at a lot of top end designer stores. The customers order the SAs around, treat them like servants, talk at the top of their voices and demand for this and that. The SAs usually bite their tongue because these (seem to be) are high spending customers. So long as these shops continue to grovel at the heels of such customers for the sake of store profits, their behaviour would continue to worsen. If these shops make it a policy to turn away rude customers, then these customers may (hopefully) get the point eventually

If these shops make it a policy to turn away rude customers, then these customers may (hopefully) get the point eventually

I wish! :smile:

Only these top end designer stores would never implement such a policy if it dented their profits (which it would, unfortunately).

What we need are Bag Police.

With Clamps (like for tires, except for bags).

And Whips. :P

I miss reading your posts too Gina, this is just awful..women#2...and actually I've seen MANY women acting like her all the time, toting a birkin and think they can rule the world or something...... really..it's only a bag afterall.....:shrugs:

Gina b, What an insightful thread! I love reading your posts, in fact I must credit your Paris trip pictures & posts for inspiring my Birkin purchase in February 07. Your photography is also amazing & I tried to see all the sights that you captured! A big thank you!:wlae: :wlae: :wlae:

I have seen bad behaviour at a lot of top end designer stores. The customers order the SAs around, treat them like servants, talk at the top of their voices and demand for this and that. The SAs usually bite their tongue because these (seem to be) are high spending customers. So long as these shops continue to grovel at the heels of such customers for the sake of store profits, their behaviour would continue to worsen. If these shops make it a policy to turn away rude customers, then these customers may (hopefully) get the point eventually
The NYC store is full of these prima donnas. But the SAs usually........well............."fight back". These customers are almost guaranteed to never see a Birkin and are never extended the "fringe benefits" that come with having a good relationship with a SA. Forget about the SO's, getting placed on the wait list, the special events, etc.