The Crown on Netflix

I'm up to episode 4 I think. Emma Corrin is perfect for the role. I'm disappointed that we don't see more nuance in the other characters, as we did in the other series. Olivia Colman is excellent, but wasted, I think. Many of the characters are shown only in how they relate to Diana. What is Princess Margaret doing, for example, other than sitting in Buckingham Palace; what about her private life. How is the Queen relating to Phillip? We don't really know.

I’m not entirely convinced of Gillian Anderson. I think she’s over-acting almost all the time. Did M Thatcher always tilt her head and squint her eyes when she talked? It looks really odd and contrived. Unless that is really the way Thatcher talked, I don’t know.

I’m not entirely convinced of Gillian Anderson. I think she’s over-acting almost all the time. Did M Thatcher always tilt her head and squint her eyes when she talked? It looks really odd and contrived. Unless that is really the way Thatcher talked, I don’t know.
I think she's a great Thatcher and yes, she had those mannerisms. I also think she's doing a better job than Meryl Streep did in the movie.

I think that she over-acted as well. I remember Thatcher as quite forceful. Also, she wasn't a tiny little thing, so Gillian's physical presence doesn't jibe with my mental pic of Thatcher. Especially in t he beginning, Gillian overdoes the raspy voice; that doesn't synch with my memory either. This is a YouTube of Thatcher's voice over her career.

I also thought she overacted this role.
I think that she over-acted as well. I remember Thatcher as quite forceful. Also, she wasn't a tiny little thing, so Gillian's physical presence doesn't jibe with my mental pic of Thatcher. Especially in t he beginning, Gillian overdoes the raspy voice; that doesn't synch with my memory either. This is a YouTube of Thatcher's voice over her career.

Yes, the first thing I noticed was that Gillian is so skinny and Thatcher was not, but isn't that the way with actresses? They are all so skinny and sometimes they pad their clothes but the faces ares still so thin.

And Meryl Streep was almost too pretty for the role.

Anyway, I guess I'm used to actresses not really physically fitting the role, but I do think Gillian got the essence of Thatcher.

To me, Gillian Anderson’s performance felt way overdone in her facial expressions and her manner of speech. But I must admit that I don’t recall much of anything about Thatcher other than her face. So I watched Iron Lady a few days after I finished The Crown. I much preferred Meryl Streep’s performance - it didn’t seem so fake or overdone. Funny enough, Olivia Coleman played Thatcher’s daughter in Iron Lady!

Anyone notice the mouse scurrying from one side of the room to the other in episode 4? :amazed:
Yes!

Was this just a little joke or do the palaces have rodents running around? They are incredibly old structures full of holes and nooks and crannie so I would think "yes they do". (reminds me I need a new mousetrap now that the cold weather has arrived)

To me, Gillian Anderson’s performance felt way overdone in her facial expressions and her manner of speech. But I must admit that I don’t recall much of anything about Thatcher other than her face. So I watched Iron Lady a few days after I finished The Crown. I much preferred Meryl Streep’s performance - it didn’t seem so fake or overdone. Funny enough, Olivia Coleman played Thatcher’s daughter in Iron Lady!

+1
almost to the point of annoying.

Reactions: Luvbolide