The bag I never thought I'd find: a vintage reveal!

catsinthebag

adopt a shelter pet!
O.G.
Sep 7, 2010
I don't usually do reveal threads, opting instead to just post stuff in the "recent purchases" thread, but I am so thrilled about this bag, I had to share in a bigger way. :biggrin: A little backstory for those who like stories:

For at least two years now, the bag that has haunted my dreams is a dark Kelly with Palladium HW. Black or graphite would be OK, but what I really wanted in my heart of hearts was Indigo. I'm a sucker for blues so dark they can pass for black.

To complicate things, I wanted a smooth leather, Box or Swift. I also didn't want to pay retail, which leaves the vintage market. But whenever I would see something online, it was either too small (I saw one lovely 28 Sellier but I wanted a 32 or 35 retourne), in suspicious condition, had GWH, or was simply way too expensive. So I finally gave up. Walked away. Figured the bag may find me someday but I wasn't going to stress myself out about it or even search very aggressively.

In the meantime, last fall I started a thread called "What do H fans think of LV?" I was getting frustrated with some of my Hermes (and non-H) bags, and looking for something different that would be functional in a way my other bags weren't. I bought an LV Empreinte Speedy B and could not be happier. I've been wearing that bag constantly since September and love it.

I was -- gasp -- satisfied. Except for that thing that always happens to the Bag Obsessed: I started to get The Itch. Spring gave us a false start a couple of weeks ago, complete with 70 degree temperatures. My Speedy is black, and I don't tend to wear black bags in warmer weather. I started to think about what would become the next bag. So back to LV I went. I bought two bags, another Empreinte Speedy in Mastic and an Alma PM in Epi Indigo.

Got those bags home and knew almost immediately neither one was going to work. Mastic is (IMO) lovely in some lights and awful in others. And my DH looked at the Alma and proclaimed it a bag his grandmother would wear (apologies to Alma lovers!). I had to admit, the hard structure of the Alma bothered me, it was the Indigo color I loved. With a big sigh, I returned both bags to a very understanding SA and decided to take a step back before making any more purchases.

The Bag Universe had other plans, however. Literally the day after I returned the two LVs, this bag appeared. Thanks to @bababebi for her super-fast authenitication! This arrived via UPS today...

(photos coming momentarily, I PROMISE I will not disappear for hours!)

Reactions: Mariapia
Congrats on your vintage buy! And beautiful kelly family. Nothing feels better than when you get what you want! Can you give advice as to what sites you trust in buying pre loved birkin or kelly! I usually buy new from other designers, but quickly learning that to get one of these I have to search resellers and some out there are just crazy expensive or shocker (with a smirk) fakes....and this would be devastating if I ever fell for one! Thanks!

Reactions: hopiko
Congrats on your vintage buy! And beautiful kelly family. Nothing feels better than when you get what you want! Can you give advice as to what sites you trust in buying pre loved birkin or kelly! I usually buy new from other designers, but quickly learning that to get one of these I have to search resellers and some out there are just crazy expensive or shocker (with a smirk) fakes....and this would be devastating if I ever fell for one! Thanks!

The Indigo Kelly came from Trendlee. I wasn't familiar with them, but when Bababebi authenticated the bag, she said they are reputable. (As an aside, I first saw the bag on Ebay, and it said No Returns. But their website does offer returns in the US and a 5% discount for signing up for their emails.) The barenia K came from Fashionphile. They also offer returns, which is a huge load off my mind, because there is no substitute for seeing and holding the bag in person. The Rouge Vif was my first Kelly and came from our very own DocRide (on Ebay)!

YoogisCloset and Sandia Exchange are also reputable. But I always post in the Authentication thread for peace of mind. Even reputable sites can make mistakes.

Thanks so much for sharing much needed information. At least now when I search and browse, I know there is that possibility of utilizing the resellers route. I am on the lookout for a B35 in Togo in the color raisin with palladium HW. I have seen two so far. One from Europe and the other I think from the US and both on ebay. Hawking and thinking.....