The art of writing - writing culture - or simply: a thread about pens

• Thread starter the_black_tie_diyer
  • Start date
:biggrin: Good grief. Yes. Blue ink. I write violet and brown, now. And black.
Our left hand writers were allowed to use rollerballs. But that was it.

I’ve literally just seen this post, and I’m a leftie. They did NOT make concessions for the few of us that were left handed, so I had to write with one. This was back in the early 80’s, before anyone thought about the fact that us lefties do everything back to front, and invented things especially for us. It didn’t matter, as I enjoyed it. Actually, even now I don’t use a nib specifically for lefties. I’m too used to writing with a standard nib.
The only thing was that I had to be the only person that used my pen. My teachers asked me a few times to ‘lend my pen’ to someone else, and that was a problem. The minute someone else wrote with my pen, the nib was ruined, and I couldn’t use it. Needless to say, ever since school, unless it’s a rollerball I never lend my pen out.

Last edited:
Time to revive this thread. Hope everyone is healthy during this trying period. I am happy to present my new Visconti Homosapiens Dark Age with an 18k stub nib, filled with Visconti Black ink, which has been my new favorite pen. Also, may I present the Waterman Lady Agatha 18k nib with its own carryover case filled with Robert Oster African Gold ink.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 20
Time to revive this thread. Hope everyone is healthy during this trying period. I am happy to present my new Visconti Homosapiens Dark Age with an 18k stub nib, filled with Visconti Black ink, which has been my new favorite pen. Also, may I present the Waterman Lady Agatha 18k nib with its own carryover case filled with Robert Oster African Gold ink.
Beautiful - and you managed to upload pics. Yay! :smile:

Funny, I am just back from a vintage shop, and the owner and I bonded over our fountain pens. I was leaving my phone number and we both simultaneously took our pens out. We joked we must be the two last people on earth carrying a fountain pen around :P.
I am not precious about my pens though. These are the two I am using right now. Kaweco Sport, one in the B, the other in M. I just love how compact they are.

C84779CA-D550-4FDC-9701-76F9B79FF405.jpeg

Funny, I am just back from a vintage shop, and the owner and I bonded over our fountain pens. I was leaving my phone number and we both simultaneously took our pens out. We joked we must be the two last people on earth carrying a fountain pen around :P.
I am not precious about my pens though. These are the two I am using right now. Kaweco Sport, one in the B, the other in M. I just love how compact they are.

View attachment 4848928
I was thinking about getting a Kaweco to carry in my bag. I am too scared that I will lose my Visconti and to be honest, it's too heavy to lug around. It's made of LAVA!!

I didn't realize how small the Visconti looked compared to the Lady Agathe. In actuality, the Visconti is an oversized pen, almost 5-1/2" capped, while the Lady Agathe is a mere 4-1/8" capped.

Reactions: tealocean
Hi Oreo! I love the marbled wines! (Is it wine?) That is gorgeous. I would love to see your writing with the stub nib. Which is your favorite nib size to write with?

View attachment 4848928
These are cute. I've wondered about these, but I don't want to get any more pens since I have a favorite Pelikan I end up using the most. Do you find them leak proof? I haven't had any pens explode or leak, but I don't carry them in my purse. I will put them in a case inside a tote though. ;)

Here ya go!! I love writing with this stub. It suits my personality!!! Btw the Lady Agathe is more of a bronze/maroon combo. View attachment 4849442
Thank you, this is great! I like the thick line and the ink shading. This would be amazing in a colored ink! I feel like it would be challenging for me to write with a blunt nib, but what an amazing nib for showing off ink. I usually enjoy a medium nib in fountain pens, especially with dryer inks, and fine point in regular pens. You've reminded me how much I enjoy writing on graph paper too.

Reactions: oreo713 and 880
These are cute. I've wondered about these, but I don't want to get any more pens since I have a favorite Pelikan I end up using the most. Do you find them leak proof? I haven't had any pens explode or leak, but I don't carry them in my purse. I will put them in a case inside a tote though. ;)

Only after a period of (heavy use) they tend to start leaking, at which point I just replace them. I always carry them In a pouch like the one in the pic.