The art of writing - writing culture - or simply: a thread about pens

• Thread starter the_black_tie_diyer
  • Start date
That's a nice Parker! :smile: Love the shape!

I dreaded the fountain pen in elementary school. We had to have one of these: https://www.lamyshop.com/fuellhalter-lamy-abc.html and when you advanced, you had to get one of these: https://www.lamyshop.com/fuellhalter-lamy-safari.html

I hated them. Ditched them the second we were allowed to use ballpoint pens.

Only much later I got back into fountain pens and writing with them.

Kind regards,
Oliver
Oh that is funny you hated them, and now you enjoy them again! I got similar student pens, by Pelikan, for my children when they wanted my pen! ;) They thought they were neat.

Reactions: the_black_tie_diyer
Thank you! The pen is deep pink, almost magenta in colour, I love it. I’m English, and most schools back when I was at school made you use cartridge or fountains pens to write. I think they believed ballpoints made for lazy penmanship, whereas you had to concentrate harder on your writing skills when writing with a cartridge pen. Regardless of the reasons, I always loved writing with them. They’re so smooth, and the writing looks so much more tasteful than when written with a ballpoint! As you can tell, I agree with my teachers on these types on pens. Like you said, it really does make writing feel more luxurious, and makes it an enjoyable experience.
I thought it might be. I love that kind of color! I'm going to make more of an effort to use my fountain pens. I went through a couple years only writing with them, but now I grab fun regular pens a lot because they are easier to reach for, but there is nothing like writing with a fountain pen, and I have some beautiful ink colors. I want to enjoy them more. Thank you for reminding me!

Reactions: Hurrem1001
That's a nice Parker! :smile: Love the shape!

I dreaded the fountain pen in elementary school. We had to have one of these: https://www.lamyshop.com/fuellhalter-lamy-abc.html and when you advanced, you had to get one of these: https://www.lamyshop.com/fuellhalter-lamy-safari.html

I hated them. Ditched them the second we were allowed to use ballpoint pens.

Only much later I got back into fountain pens and writing with them.

Kind regards,
Oliver
And before Lamy it was Geha and/or Pelikan. I started with a Geha, but changed to Lamy. :biggrin:
I still love Lamy. And I have quite a collection (I have more, but they are scattered everywhere).
2D081062-0FE4-4AF9-A14D-C87DEDD0854D.jpeg
Lamy pens are not really fancy, but they work best for me.
C797C3A2-E13D-4371-BD83-A4A8811BE7F1.jpeg
I like their ball pens, too.
And here are my fancier pens from Faber-Castell:
55020674-3C6B-4806-8E91-50890E66F9AE.jpeg

And before Lamy it was Geha and/or Pelikan. I started with a Geha, but changed to Lamy. :biggrin:
I still love Lamy. And I have quite a collection (I have more, but they are scattered everywhere).
View attachment 4592281
View attachment 4592282
View attachment 4592283

There's really nothing wrong with Lamy ( and the Safari series) per se. I simply hated it because they made us use these and not much else. I wouldn't drag a 6 yrs old to MB (or the like) and send them to school with one either. But I'd have them try different styles and decide what they like. Since like you say, there's not just Lamy.

It was always about the "being forced" aspect, I was more of a free spirit and a rebel ... ;)

Kind regards,
Oliver

Oh that is funny you hated them, and now you enjoy them again! I got similar student pens, by Pelikan, for my children when they wanted my pen! ;) They thought they were neat.

Yeah, it was the "being forced" aspect to it. Also we had do use blue ink, and nothing else. I remember the drama it caused when some of us wanted to use black, purple or pink ...

Nowadays I mostly write in Burgundy Red, or the little Prince orange. My ballpoints write petrol blue.

Kind regards,
Oliver

There's really nothing wrong with Lamy ( and the Safari series) per se. I simply hated it because they made us use these and not much else. I wouldn't drag a 6 yrs old to MB (or the like) and send them to school with one either. But I'd have them try different styles and decide what they like. Since like you say, there's not just Lamy.

It was always about the "being forced" aspect, I was more of a free spirit and a rebel ... ;)

Kind regards,
Oliver
I fully understand. :smile:
We had one hour each week for „nice writing“ (Schönschreiben) during classes 1-4. Did you have something similar?

Yeah, it was the "being forced" aspect to it. Also we had do use blue ink, and nothing else. I remember the drama it caused when some of us wanted to use black, purple or pink ...

Nowadays I mostly write in Burgundy Red, or the little Prince orange. My ballpoints write petrol blue.

Kind regards,
Oliver
:biggrin: Good grief. Yes. Blue ink. I write violet and brown, now. And black.
Our left hand writers were allowed to use rollerballs. But that was it.

I fully understand. :smile:
We had one hour each week for „nice writing“ (Schönschreiben) during classes 1-4. Did you have something similar?

We actually had no designated hour(s) for that. We only had a special notebook (Schönschreib-Heft) & folder for that, and from time to time the teacher would make us use it for the day's tasks or ask to use it for the homework to be presented the next day.

The only thing different I remember, was that we were taught "Lateinische Ausgangsschrift" -> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ausga...ei:Lateinische_Ausgangsschrift_1953_plain.svg

And it was the only school to teach it.

In neighboring schools pupils were taught "Vereinfachte Ausgangsschrift" -> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Vereinfachte_Ausgangsschrift.png

:biggrin: Good grief. Yes. Blue ink. I write violet and brown, now. And black.
Our left hand writers were allowed to use rollerballs. But that was it.

:smile: This brings up another interesting question! ;) Were you allowed to use the "Tintenkiller" (Ink-eraser)? We weren't at first, but at some point they couldn't stop the distribution and use ...

Kind regards,
Oliver

We actually had no designated hour(s) for that. We only had a special notebook (Schönschreib-Heft) & folder for that, and from time to time the teacher would make us use it for the day's tasks or ask to use it for the homework to be presented the next day.

The only thing different I remember, was that we were taught "Lateinische Ausgangsschrift" -> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ausga...ei:Lateinische_Ausgangsschrift_1953_plain.svg

And it was the only school to teach it.

In neighboring schools pupils were taught "Vereinfachte Ausgangsschrift" -> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Vereinfachte_Ausgangsschrift.png

:smile: This brings up another interesting question! ;) Were you allowed to use the "Tintenkiller" (Ink-eraser)? We weren't at first, but at some point they couldn't stop the distribution and use ...

Kind regards,
Oliver
We also learned the Lateinische Ausgangsschrift. I think all (in Bavaria) had to. Nowadays they are learning the Vereinfachte Ausgangsschrift. All in all there is not much attention paid to handwriting anymore. Some of my friends are teachers (from Grundschule to Gymnasium). I have seen how children „write“ nowadays. It is truly horrendous.

Hehe. Tintenkiller. :biggrin: We were not allowed to use it at first. I think it was allowed later (3rd/4th grade). If I remember correctly you could get a worse evaluation, if you used the Tintenkiller too often.

View attachment 4592281
View attachment 4592282
View attachment 4592283
You have a lovely collection! I like Lamy too and have the Lamy on the left-was it called blue-green? Oh that color! I have some fun colored Safari's, but haven't tried their ball point pens.

I usually use a Pelikan. I stopped getting new pens once I realized I usually use the Pelikan! I guess that is a good thing. :biggrin: There is something about the smoothness that works for me. I like the nib to glide like butter and also prefer smooth paper. I know that's not for everyone.

Reactions: RT1 and Ludmilla

Kind regards,
Oliver
Oh that is funny! I love blues and keep trying to write in other colors, but I come back to the blues. I love the ocean blues and teals. Your petrol blue sounds like it must be a beautiful color. Your color choices must be a treat, and pleasant surprise, to read.

It must be a European thing then because we were also required to use ink cartridge pens (I guess they did not want first formers messing with ink bottles in school even though some of the old desks still had those ink well openings). No ballpoints allowed until 5th grade. But the cheap school pens did kind of scratch the paper though.
I'm in the US, but got my first plastic fountain pen in Europe as a teen. That started it all! :smile:

I'm enjoying hearing about how all of you wrote in school in your countries!

You have a lovely collection! I like Lamy too and have the Lamy on the left-was it called blue-green? Oh that color! I have some fun colored Safari's, but haven't tried their ball point pens.

I usually use a Pelikan. I stopped getting new pens once I realized I usually use the Pelikan! I guess that is a good thing. :biggrin: There is something about the smoothness that works for me. I like the nib to glide like butter and also prefer smooth paper. I know that's not for everyone.
Pelikan scratches with my hand. Lamy are the only ones that work really well for me.
We are pen twins. ;)