Testers vs real thing

dia

O.G.
Feb 12, 2006
I don't know if it's just me or if I'm having 'issues' but for the past couple years or so I seem to have the same problem with all fragrances I bought.
The samples smell different than the perfume I bought , has longer staying power and sillage and a totally different dry down . I am always careful to buy same concentration as tester (perfume or eau de perfume etc) but don't seem to have much luck . The minute I open the recently purchased bottle and use it , I know it's not the same thing .
I wonder if they're using stronger or better ingredients in testers ....

Recent purchases :

Juliette has a gun
Royal Princess Oud by Creed
Rose Ispahan by Dior

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me ?

I thought it was just me, actually. The oils in my skin tend to completely change a fragrance so I assumed that was what was happening.

In any case, I've had the same problem quite a few times and yes, one being with Juliette Has a Gun. There was a cheap Michael Kors one I liked in the tester - Jasmine something - that smelled atrocious out of the purchased bottle. I do have the rollerball and it still smells fantastic.

I tried the Prada Candy Florale in the rollerball after I had a small sample and same thing.

I don't know what to think now!

The staying power difference is real. Samples are formulated to last more than the actual perfume. I'm not sure why, but maybe so that the customer doesn't forget the scent while he/she is still deciding to purchase?

I loved thierry mugler alien when it was promoted with the samples. At the time I didn't have much money and saved up to buy a bottle as a treat. What a disappointment that was.

However I learned my lesson and I don't ever trust any more any samples. If I like a scent I try it on many times at the counter before I purchase