Teenagers and younger girls with designer handbags

I don't know. I was so clueless about these things when I was in college. I can't imagine owning a two thousand dollar bag when I was that age, so honestly, when I hear 16 year olds (or see on LV reveals) with higher LVs, I'm just a little surprised.

I agree. We carried raggedy book bags and simple handbags while at university and I went to a university of over twenty-five thousand students. This was back in the early to late seventies.

I knew about designer bags back then and I did wear really nice, high quality clothes, but not high-end designer ones. Back then, after university graduation, we bought mostly Coach bags.

I bought my first LV handbag, in Paris, the day before my 25th birthday and after I had been in my profession for a year. I sold that first bag to one of my co-workers, a few years ago, and she said that she still has it. It's the Chantilly cross body bag that has recently been reintroduced into the LV collection. But, when I bought it at LV in Paris, it was less than $150., back in the day. Now, it's $1,060.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm new to this, but I enjoy reading everyone threads. I was in 11th grade when I first got a Coach bag ( now a Senior in College). I never knew what these designer bags were all about,and to be honest I wasn't very fashionable.
It was in 2010 that I bought my first Louis Vuitton Speedy 40, and about two weeks later I returned to the King of Prussia, and bought the Louis Vuitton Galleria GM.
I would not say that I am considered a "Brat" but, where I live nobody else can afford a bag so expensive. I think I may be the only girl within a 25 mile radius that own a real Louis Vuitton, and i am more than gracious for being able to afford , and own one.
Now, I think it's great if a person is able to afford an expensive purse "GO FOR IT!" :smile: A purse sure can make a girl for good! If families want to buy their young daughters a purse, and can afford it wonderful! There are 16-21 year old boys spending hundreds on dollars fixing up their cars to they way they like them, or getting guns as gifts to go hunting to do as a hobby. It may just so be that girls collect bags! :smile:
So all in all, I say if you can afford it go for it!
Sorry, totally off topic, but: King of Prussia represent! I miss KOP so much!

I have ambivalent feelings about the whole thing. If it's about self expression and invention then great but when it's about passive consumerism and an endless greed when nothing is good enough then... :sunnies

What worries me is that young women think they need to spend £2-3 K + on IT bags to keep-up with each other and/or their favourite blogger (whose bag usually turns out to be fake). Then again I know grown women who think and act the same way LOL

My nice and her little set trot around in discounted CLs 1/2 size too big or small, logo designer bags and go out to have their hair and nails done, make-up applied and be styled by someone else. For goodness sake at 15/16 girls should be playing around with their own make-up, nails, hair and clothes. They're so passive, like dolls waiting to be dressed up.

I have to admit, I have never understood why a younger person with a nice bag is such a concern in some circles. It could have been anything other than a bag (like some have pointed out regarding laptops). It could have been a high tech gadget or phone, a big video game system, or the Barbie playset to end all Barbie playsets. So what if it's a receptacle-made-of-leather-that-hangs-on-your-shoulder instead? When some people react, I wonder if it's the money that's a problem, or the fact that it's (cue dramatic music) a "bag." I guess I just don't get it. :shrugs: Our daughter received a pre-loved cherry blossoms pochette when she was awarded her black belt. She was eight at the time, and hubby and I have never made apologies for it.

Was she old enough to receive that as her congratulatory gift? Well, she took the exact same black belt test that her adult counterparts also had to take, she now has the exact same responsibilities that her adult counterparts have, and indeed, she fulfills them more diligently than most of the older kids and adults combined. Would anyone have been shocked if one of the adults that tested with her would have received a nice bag?

Has she earned it? Well in terms of effort, she's always taken more classes a week than most of the adults, and had to put in just as much practice to pass that test as they did. She really does get the value of practice and "keep trying til you get it right." Monetarily, she's legally too young to be paid. But she spends at least six hours every week, unpaid, teaching other kids (mostly older than her) and leading classes. The adults and teenagers who also got black belt at the same time as her, show up maybe one day a week to teach one class other than the ones they themselves actually take. She helps teach at least five classes. If she were legally old enough for employment, they could pay her and she could have a nice little egg saved up for whatever she wanted. (She puts all her holiday/gift money into her savings account.) But she's not old enough. So as far as we're concerned, yeah, she's earned it. How many other adults spend five hours teaching every week, just out of a sense of duty? Damn right she's earned it.

She got another nice coach a couple months ago when she won her division at a national tournament. She practiced her butt of for weeks, literally, in order to do that. (Heck, she's on the back porch right now spending her Sunday afternoon practicing for another tournament. Not playing, not sitting in front of the TV, not vegging with Justin Bieber music, but practicing with a tutor.) Anyway, if an adult woman did that, she might very well receive a congratulatory gift (like a bag) from a family member. Daughter takes excellent care of hers, loves them, and (God help us) wants to go to school for design when she's older. So if she practices her heart out, kicks some serious *ss and accomplishes what she set out to do, why is it wrong for it to be a "bag" that she chooses as her congratulatory gift? Honestly. I just don't get what it is about that magic word sometimes. :smile: :flowers: :lol: :shrugs:
Kudos! Keep up the good work!

momtok said:
I have to admit, I have never understood why a younger person with a nice bag is such a concern in some circles. It could have been anything other than a bag (like some have pointed out regarding laptops). It could have been a high tech gadget or phone, a big video game system, or the Barbie playset to end all Barbie playsets. So what if it's a receptacle-made-of-leather-that-hangs-on-your-shoulder instead? When some people react, I wonder if it's the money that's a problem, or the fact that it's (cue dramatic music) a "bag." I guess I just don't get it. :shrugs: Our daughter received a pre-loved cherry blossoms pochette when she was awarded her black belt. She was eight at the time, and hubby and I have never made apologies for it.

Was she old enough to receive that as her congratulatory gift? Well, she took the exact same black belt test that her adult counterparts also had to take, she now has the exact same responsibilities that her adult counterparts have, and indeed, she fulfills them more diligently than most of the older kids and adults combined. Would anyone have been shocked if one of the adults that tested with her would have received a nice bag?

Has she earned it? Well in terms of effort, she's always taken more classes a week than most of the adults, and had to put in just as much practice to pass that test as they did. She really does get the value of practice and "keep trying til you get it right." Monetarily, she's legally too young to be paid. But she spends at least six hours every week, unpaid, teaching other kids (mostly older than her) and leading classes. The adults and teenagers who also got black belt at the same time as her, show up maybe one day a week to teach one class other than the ones they themselves actually take. She helps teach at least five classes. If she were legally old enough for employment, they could pay her and she could have a nice little egg saved up for whatever she wanted. (She puts all her holiday/gift money into her savings account.) But she's not old enough. So as far as we're concerned, yeah, she's earned it. How many other adults spend five hours teaching every week, just out of a sense of duty? Damn right she's earned it.

She got another nice coach a couple months ago when she won her division at a national tournament. She practiced her butt of for weeks, literally, in order to do that. (Heck, she's on the back porch right now spending her Sunday afternoon practicing for another tournament. Not playing, not sitting in front of the TV, not vegging with Justin Bieber music, but practicing with a tutor.) Anyway, if an adult woman did that, she might very well receive a congratulatory gift (like a bag) from a family member. Daughter takes excellent care of hers, loves them, and (God help us) wants to go to school for design when she's older. So if she practices her heart out, kicks some serious *ss and accomplishes what she set out to do, why is it wrong for it to be a "bag" that she chooses as her congratulatory gift? Honestly. I just don't get what it is about that magic word sometimes. :smile: :flowers: :lol: :shrugs:

Awesome post! 👍

It all comes down to different strokes for different folks. Each family has its own limits.

It all comes down to different strokes for different folks. Each family has its own limits.

I agree. As well as each family having their own definition of what "good performance" / "earning it" is from their young person in question.

But if it really is different strokes for different folks, then it's also pointless for those who disapprove (for within their own circumstances/families), to criticize those parents who have deemed it appropriate (again, within their own circumstances/familes). That's what I've seen happen on this board some times, and it just makes me chuckle. No one knows any young person better than the parents. (At least, that's the way I thought it should be.) :smile:

I doubt any girl would tell her parents "no! thats FAR too much money to spend on me" if their parents had the money to purchase them designer bags/shoes/clothing. Yes, they would have a better value of money if they saved up but that is the parents job to teach them about money. The only time I have had bad thoughts about seeing young girls with bags is when I have walked in the bathrooms at the mall and see $400+ bags thrown on the floor. It does not make me think they are brats just that they do not care about the value of money. Then again many adults who baby designer things have no value of money...they just show it in other ways we would'nt see unless we got to know them:smile:

I don't have a problem with teens having designer bags. I've found that young guys and girls on here love and appreciate them too. I did not get my first designer bag until I was 38 (last year). However, I'm sure that some teens work harder for them than others. I'm a SAHM and I'm sure some people would think that I don't deserve one because I do not contribute income to my household. I will tell you that taking care of a child (especially when your husband travels and you have no family in the area) is a lot harder for me than working outside the home.

peachylv said:
I don't have a problem with teens having designer bags. I've found that young guys and girls on here love and appreciate them too. I did not get my first designer bag until I was 38 (last year). However, I'm sure that some teens work harder for them than others. I'm a SAHM and I'm sure some people would think that I don't deserve one because I do not contribute income to my household. I will tell you that taking care of a child (especially when your husband travels and you have no family in the area) is a lot harder for me than working outside the home.

This is me. SAHM, traveling husband and no family near by and YES it is extremely difficult at times. Much more so than when I "contributed." I personally don't feel I actually need to buy anything that costs more than $500. And that would be the high end of what I'd buy. I just don't feel like the lifestyle I live warrants it.
I honestly don't pay much attention to the age of the owner of a purse. Certainly not enough to judge whether I think it's appropriate for them to own it. Partly this is because I just love bags and if I see a nice one I'm looking at the bag not the owner. Probably wouldn't be able to pick them out of a line-up unless they had their purse with them. Lol!
Also it's been awhile since I was a teen or in my 20s and I feel like so much has changed since then as to what anyone is willing to pay for a handbag that it's hard for me to be able to judge what's "typical."
Honestly I feel like its none of my business. I can only say what I would do. Not what anyone else should do.

Overall, there are a LOT of things I don't think some people should be spending their money on. Plenty of adults, for example, were talked into buying homes they realistically knew they couldn't afford. Lots of adults still engage in keeping up with the Joneses. But when it comes right down to it, it isn't my business in any way, shape or form how other people choose to spend their money. It is their child, their responsibility, their choice. Just because one person chooses to reward a young person that way and another does not doesn't make one of them right and one of them wrong; it makes them different. As long as the bill doesn't come to my house, it just doesn't matter.

If they or their parents can afford it then I don't really care.
It's no different than having a car as a teenager (or any other really expensive item).

I also don't care if the teenager asked their parents to buy it for them. There are many people, particular women, in this world who don't work and their HUSBAND'S buy them things. Same difference to me. Shrug.

I completely agree with pursestan.

If someone's parents can afford to buy them such, who am I to judge them? Calling them brats/spoiled is a little extreme, unless they're blatantly rude about it, etc... Sure it's admirable for younger women to save their money and buy their own. But I too view it the same as a women who doesn't work, and her husband supplies her with designer bags. As someone who is almost 20, and doesn't work (though I intern at a well respected place) my mum has bought me designer things, and I'm more then appreciative, and definitely don't view myself as a 'brat'

THIS. I totally agree with you both. :tup: :goodpost:

It's unfair to compare a young girl/boy who carries a designer bag/accessory because their parents buy it for them, when unemployed Wives beg their HUSBANDS to buy expensive designer goods for them, too. SAME THING. I have an Aunt who is a poor housewife (at least until her son gets old enough to be home alone, then she will find a job), and her hard-working husband bought her LV and expensive clothes from Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack. I just admire what she has, but I will never judge her.

As in matter of fact, many of my relatives give their children expensive things too (videogames, designer clothes, electronic devices such as iPods, etc). just because they either work hard in school, or just for fun. Am I going to judge them? No, I'll just let them enjoy the goodies their parents bought for them.

Whatever. I don't judge anyone and I don't care. If they're happy with the expensive goods they own, that's fine. Shrug.

I surely have better things to do than to hurt someone's feelings because they were "spoiled" by their parents. Would you rather have us poor young girls carry cheap-o Marshalls/TJ Maxx bags instead? -_-

Last edited:
THIS. I totally agree with you both. :tup: :goodpost:

It's unfair to compare a young girl/boy who carries a designer bag/accessory because their parents buy it for them, when unemployed Wives beg their HUSBANDS to buy expensive designer goods for them, too. SAME THING. I have an Aunt who is a poor housewife (at least until her son gets old enough to be home alone, then she will find a job), and her hard-working husband bought her LV and expensive clothes from Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack. I just admire what she has, but I will never judge her.

As in matter of fact, many of my relatives give their children expensive things too (videogames, designer clothes, electronic devices such as iPods, etc). just because they either work hard in school, or just for fun. Am I going to judge them? No, I'll just let them enjoy the goodies their parents bought for them.

Whatever. I don't judge anyone and I don't care. If they're happy with the expensive goods they own, that's fine. Shrug.

I surely have better things to do than to hurt someone's feelings because they were "spoiled" by their parents. Would you rather have us poor young girls carry cheap-o Marshalls/TJ Maxx bags instead? -_-
There are some awesome/insightful posts here- yours is definitely one of them! I like!