Teenagers and younger girls with designer handbags

cherrycookies said:
i think it 's dangerous to associate shopping, buying things as acts of love/bonding with family members. all is fine now but what happens if money were to run out 1 day? in times like these, things are ever changing. businesses can go bust. then what happens? would you be happy just being with your family members though there will be no more shopping? would you be able to withstand the hardship? if the answers are yes, then good for you! :tup:

just thinking out loud.

I agree with you. Money does not buy happiness, BUT , (and I hate to admit this), shopping has made me feel better in the past, but I also focus on the things that have made me happy without spending, like a warm summer breeze or spending time with my crush.

karmallory said:
It breaks my heart to hear that you were bullied. I am glad that you both have found the tPF community so that you know there are people out there that can appreciate the same things as you and are here for support!

(PM me anytime for support or to vent!!! xx)

( Sorry to get off topic )

Thank you, I really appreciate the consideration. The worst of my depression is over and I can safely say I have not been tormented in a while.

( Sorry to get off topic )

Thank you, I really appreciate the consideration. The worst of my depression is over and I can safely say I have not been tormented in a while.

It's awful you were bullied. I'm so sorry, and to Orange, too. One of my students last fall was bullied terribly in high school, and he is now part of a theater group that does anti-bullying performances and activism. The group helped to get legislation passed in my state about cyber bullying. I'm glad to read you are healing and safer.

Makes me glad I have boys. But really I think it has more to do with appreciation than age. I get irked by someone who is dragging a designer bag around like its worthless and not necessarily someone who is younger. I have to say my nieces are young and they carry designer bags but they also work very hard for them.
Well, I'm a boy to haha! :P

I don't have any kids, but I have two nieces, ages 7 and 9. The 7-year-old isn't really into handbags, but the 9-year-old loves them. Lucky for her she has a very stylish mom (my sister) and at least two aunts who are shopaholics (including myself). We've been giving her Dooney and Bourke and Coach bags since she was 2. But after she turns 10 I plan to give her her first Gucci. (Who knows what she'll be carrying at age 15?)
Both my nieces are very kind, loving, thoughtful and caring girls, and as long as they stay that way, I see no problem spoiling them. :smile:

Hey! I'm 17 this year and I'm thinking of buying a Michael Kors crossbody because I don't have one and usually when I'm out I would carry my school bag (Kanken bag). I don't really have other smaller bags and hence would like to pamper myself with one. I think it wouldn't be nice to be called a brat just because I'm having a branded bag at such a young age. I am using the money I have earned from working over the past 3 years and I have also asked my parents permission to buy it. Of course I am buying it as a reward to myself and to also dress myself up since I am turning an adult soon. I have also considered getting a branded bag for almost a year but I think right now is the correct time to get one for myself.

Hey! I'm 17 this year and I'm thinking of buying a Michael Kors crossbody because I don't have one and usually when I'm out I would carry my school bag (Kanken bag). I don't really have other smaller bags and hence would like to pamper myself with one. I think it wouldn't be nice to be called a brat just because I'm having a branded bag at such a young age. I am using the money I have earned from working over the past 3 years and I have also asked my parents permission to buy it. Of course I am buying it as a reward to myself and to also dress myself up since I am turning an adult soon. I have also considered getting a branded bag for almost a year but I think right now is the correct time to get one for myself.

I don't think an MK bag at 17 years old would cause any kind of issue in general public perception. Really depends on who you hang out with and whether it would cause any sort of jealousy but hopefully its just admiration. If you like it and saved up for it with your money, then go for it. They do have some very nice bags.

Personally, I would look askance at younger people carrying around very expensive high end bags such as Hermes, LV, Chanel etc. - I would start to wonder if it's real and if it is, who funded it and why? Just my personal thoughts...

Do you think the Michael Kors Cindy Dome crossbody in pearl grey would be good for me? That has caught my eye and I'm thinking of getting them heheh! Hmmm perhaps they earned it or they saved it up from their allowance? It sometimes really depends on the person's attitude as well :biggrin:

Reactions: Bratty1919
I gave my nine-year-old niece my LV Pochette Accessoires in Damier Ebene as a reward for her hard work. She is very proud of that bag and carries it with pride because she knows she earned it. She has always loved that bag, and I didn't carry it anymore. And I would say she has definitely earned it (had fun while doing it though). When she was seven, she toured with the national production for the Sound of Music for a year, then played on Broadway in Amelie, and now she is in the new production for Frozen which just finished premiering in Denver before moving to Broadway early next year. She loves every second of it, but it is extremely hard work. The kids on these shows work harder then most of the adults do. Not only do they have to be at the performances to perform and attend all rehearsals, they also have to go to school. She has been working with a tutor for about four to five hours each day (not including the weekends). I visited her in Denver last weekend, and during the week, she really only ever had time to eat breakfast and lunch with me. She doesn't get up until almost 10:30AM, then she had tutoring starting at noon until about 5:00PM, then a bit over an hour to eat dinner, then back to the theater for the night's show. She didn't get out of the venue (signing autographs, etc) until after 10:30PM. Then she eats dinner and relaxes for a while. She gets in bed around midnight and repeats it again. The only day she has off is Mondays. She LOVES what she is doing but it is VERY hard work. She is also one of the only kids I know who already has a nice-sized retirement account from money she has earned herself. So did she earn that bag? Yep, she sure did. Probably worked harder for that bag then many adults work for their stuff.

I really don't understand why people look askance at a young person having a very expensive bag including Hermes, LV, Chanel, etc. If they earned the money themselves, kudos on their industriousness. And if their parents (or someone else) paid for it, that's also perfectly fine. It was a gift. And, getting a gift does not a brat make. A poor family attitude and parental permissiveness is what allows brattiness to grow.

And, for perspective, we don't look askance at grown women who wear expensive bags but don't earn a wage. They get the bag from the work efforts of a spouse, a BF/GF, or perhaps through inheritance from some previously industrious ancestor. We don't think that makes that woman lazy and entitled. Or do we?

Is it somehow better to accept charity and gifts you didn't work for as an adult than as a teen?? :lol:

At the end of the day, I can't fathom how it's anyone's business to make a judgment on what "should" or "shouldn't be" on someone else's arm.