tarnished hardware

grrrr....how old was your Tulum before it showed signs of tarnish? The Lockit is my only LV (its the only one I like thats so sleek and distinctively LV yet doesnt scream LV) and Im super careful with it. I put it back on the dustbag after use. Even placed a pack of silica gel in the dustbag to prevent humidity from damaging the bag...and it saddens me that although my bag still looks new, I am seeing a tad of silver already (the lock still looks perfect though). I was tempted to bring it to the LV store but since youre telling me its normal, then I guess theres nothing I can, nor the SAs can do to change the fact that the hardware is just brass-colored! (I guess I misinterpreted the bag description!!!):crybaby:

Yes, I was told by a SA that it will ALL tarnish (those with the yellow brass hardware) and thats why LV has been introducing the new palladium (silver tone) hardware. You see this hardware on the Epi items. The palladium will not tarnish.

Just as an aside, if you notice other brands are doing the same (switching to a silvertone). I.E. Coach. I had 4 legacy bags declared manufacture defects by Coach that had their legacy antique hardware...it turned black or with black spots inside of 6 months...Coach gave me a credit for the full amount of all 4 bags.

LV is cheap! I cannot figure out why they do not replace the metal with a real brass! I have Longchamp and a few older Dooney bags (when made in usa) and the hardware looks as good as the day the item was purchaserd LV's hardware is disgustingly cheap and looks horrible after any kind of regular use. LV use to replace the zipper pulls free of charge for this very reason, not sure if they still do or not. I do not understand myself why LV does not produce quality hardware, you would think that the money they spend in disguising the base metal they may as well use a quality metal such as brass. Longchamps and older Dooneys have outstanding hardware!

Yes, I was told by a SA that it will ALL tarnish (those with the yellow brass hardware) and thats why LV has been introducing the new palladium (silver tone) hardware. You see this hardware on the Epi items. The palladium will not tarnish.

Just as an aside, if you notice other brands are doing the same (switching to a silvertone). I.E. Coach. I had 4 legacy bags declared manufacture defects by Coach that had their legacy antique hardware...it turned black or with black spots inside of 6 months...Coach gave me a credit for the full amount of all 4 bags.

GRR I used to have an epi bowling montaigne PM in black which I gave to my mom because it looked too bulky for me...Ill only buy those with palladium hardware next time! (real palladium or just palladium-colored?) By the time I have extra money to spend on a new bag LV would have replaced their palladium hardwares with cheaper silvertone items!!!

Which makes me think, is Hermes the only brand that has retained the standard of luxury they originally had?

I was told but my SA that the metal hardware including all zippers, pulls, etc., is all silver colored metal under the gold color. It wil ALL tarnish over time. My Zippy wallet's entire zipper turned. So did the zipper on my Tulum (not just the pull - the whole zipper!) and I just had it replaced. Took 8 weeks and I was told it will happen again. They have not used brass for many years. If you want good hardware, you need vintage unfortunately. The hardware on my Koala agenda is already turning and will need replacing soon. I hate it when we pay so much. I only buy bags and wallets now with a minimum. of hardware.

very disheartening, indeed.

charleston-mom, after reading your inputs on the zippy wallet, i am now having second thoughts about the wallet. i really wanted to get it in damier to match my damier items, but now, i might just get the same in epi -- at least it has silver hardware and tarnishing should not be an issue.

BUT, i also am starting to have a liking for the zippy in amarante vernis -- will the hardware in the vernis line also have the same tarnishing problem (that's on top of the finger prints issue, haha!)

The only thing about Louis i dislike is the hardware that wears and shows the silver underneath.
There have been items..one day...turn the wrong way...scuff...its a wrap. and the thing is only i can be up close enough to notice it!!.

Any line, thing, item, defect, commonality y'all dislike? Go on ahead and post it!

I hate when the SAs lie that something is "soooo limited" and you turn around and there is a lot of them! Or they lie that "it's the last one they have" One time I went to a boutique to put my name for the mirror speedy and pochette and I wanted the gold..the SA told me "you should just say first available and consider yourself lucky to get one!" I cancelled myself from that list and went to another boutique and got them without a problem....

ITA-That is so off putting that I just want to walk away- the same thing just happened with the graffiti-first no pink avail. then suddenly pink everywhere and no green and so the story goes-mad marketing!!!

:cursing: Oh Totally! When the Roses came out..I went to the boutique and the SA told me.."be sure which one you like because you can only buy either a Roses piece or a Graffiti piece...but not allowed both.." COME ON ...like if I can't go to another store or order online!.. It makes me so upset:hysteric:

i agree about the tarnishing hardware. when it tarnishes, it gets blackish marks on the azur canvas and i have to use an eraser to get it off! it comes off easily but its still annoying. i didnt spend $800 for bad quality hardware.

Last edited: