Tano Crunch Leather - Lubriderm Test

I think we have to remember that Tano's leathers are meant to have a distressed look. The crunch is supposed to get a crunchy, crackled look as its name implies. So trying to keep crunch leather shiny and smooth kind of goes against the nature of the leather.

After experiencing glazed leather bags from several different brands, I'm not sure what you mean. But I think I disagree.

* Tano Crunch doesn't start off looking distressed, so how is it meant to have a distressed look?
* Most distressed leathers look that way from the get-go, not after minimal use; Tano's Lenny leather has an intentionally distressed finish...it doesn't have to change to achieve that look.
* Glazed leather does not axiomatically equal distressed leather.
* Not all glazed leather is created equal. Witness glazed leathers from F&C, BE, HH & RM. They vary in terms of the leather and the finish.

Bottom line: glazed leather should remain glazed, 'nuff said.

Last edited:
After experiencing glazed leather bags from several different brands, I'm not sure what you mean. But I think I disagree.

* Tano Crunch doesn't start off looking distressed, so how is it meant to have a distressed look?
* Most distressed leathers look that way from the get-go, not after minimal use; Tano's Lenny leather has an intentionally distressed finish...it doesn't have to change to achieve that look.
* Glazed leather does not axiomatically equal distressed leather.
* Not all glazed leather is created equal. Witness glazed leathers from F&C, BE, HH & RM. They vary in terms of the leather and the finish.

Bottom line: glazed leather should remain glazed, 'nuff said.

The intention of the leather was not to stay uniform and shiny. That's why it is called "crunch". I think TE expert described it well in a previous thread where this was discussed ad nauseum:

"Crunch leather is Tano's core leather, and its extremely popular. Its lightweight, yet very durable. Its an Italian calfskin that is tanned with two layers of natural transparent dyes. (Transparent dyes are used so that the natural characteristics of the leather are not obscured- so dont be surprised if you see a few natural flaws on the skin. Thats normal.) The first color is a neutral tan sort of color, then the top color is what you see. As the bag wears, the top color will gradually fade a bit and loose some of its shine. The bottom color will start to show through a bit, lending a cool, vintage sort of look. The leather is easy to care for, and it gets smooshier the more you use it."

So seeing what the intention of this leather was, I'm not sure what the argument is here. If that is your expectation for it to stay glazed, uniform or shiny then crunch leather is not for you.
Yup, 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
There is no intrinsic meaning to "Crunch" as there is none to "Cloud", "Lenny" or "Velvet." Those are Tano labels, nothing more.

TE is a salesperson.

Most consumers expect their purchase to retain its original characteristics, at least over the short term.

Thank you kmh1190 for making that point.

Once again, Id like to clarify that Tano's CRUNCH leather is designed to break in a certain way. With wear, it develops a really cool distressed, vintage sort of look. Some people like to keep their Tano bags looking like new by conditioning and spraying them regularly. But if you leave them alone (as I do) they will soften, loose some of their shine and fade a bit, revealing some of the base color below.

Tano's designer likes raw edges, faded colors, natural materials with imperfections, etc. That's his aesthetic.

I may be a sales person, but I also happen to be an expert on this topic. (Hence my screen name, TANO EXPERT. haha.)

Last edited:
QUOTE=Sybaryte;9115589]There is no intrinsic meaning to "Crunch" as there is none to "Cloud", "Lenny" or "Velvet." Those are Tano labels, nothing more.[/QUOTE]

Tano's leather names actually DO have some intrinsic meanings.

The word CRUNCH describes how the leather crunches down into a sexy slouch when weighed/smooshed down.

The name LENNY was chosen in appreciation of rock star Lenny Kravit'z leather pants.

The name CLOUD alludes to the soft and lightweight qualities of clouds.

Etc...

There is no intrinsic meaning to "Crunch" as there is none to "Cloud", "Lenny" or "Velvet."

TE is a salesperson.

Most consumers expect their purchase to retain its original characteristics, at least over the short term.

:confused1:

Depends on what you consider to be "the short term" and some people may not have the same expectation of the leather-There are many people here who don't treat their bags because they want a distressed/vintage look. Those of us who don't want that look treat our bags accordingly with lubriderm and protectant sprays KNOWING the original intention of the leather (but according to you, we have been misled by a salesperson). And those who don't want to do this shouldn't be buying a crunch leather Tano.

Edit: TE, we must have posted at the same time

Tano's leather names actually DO have some intrinsic meanings.

The word CRUNCH describes how the leather crunches down into a sexy slouch when weighed/smooshed down.

The name LENNY was chosen in appreciation of rock star Lenny Kravit'z leather pants.

Etc...

Haha I didn't know that!

"Tano's leather names actually DO have some intrinsic meanings.

Etc...
"

That's called marketing.

Crunching down doesn't mean distressed in a few months unless you treat it with various products.

BTW, my Bauhaus looks great, and I haven't treated it at all.

I know three things:

• I adore Tano's product no matter what they call the leather. The could call it a$$ for all I care I'd still buy their bags because they are stylish, well made, available in a variety of colors and wear extremely well.
  • Syb, I think the only person in this S.F. who isn't a Tano salesmen is you, frankly. I'm a HUGE Tano sales person. I have four people that work with me or spend time with me that now own Tano bags because *I* have gone on and on about them. All of us love and show off our Tanos and tell people when we get compliments that the brand is Tano. As such, we help sell the product.
  • I am quite happy with how my bags wear but when they start to look dry like my apricot Boogie I can restore the original sheen of the crunch leather with a little lotion. That's what this thread is about. You don't have to like it or appreciate it. You can think I'm insane for doing it or be inspired to try it yourself. Either way, this is a thread about the maintenance of Crunch leather. But for some reason we are once again careening off course. Feel free to discuss the leather and it's care but do not surmise to know when you don't or be intentionally argumentative.