switching from highest of high end, to moderate?

Claudia

formerly Purse-onality
Nov 10, 2006
OK, today i bought a Michael Kors red patent leather tote.....most of my bags are Chanel (i have 12). the Kors is fabulous, roomy, seems like it will be very hardy, great color, and i have wanted red patent for ages...but....problem is i am a bag snob (trying hard not to be) and after I bought the bag, started feeling diminished happiness (which i hoped would not happen but did..my bad...) over the purchase, 'cause Kors is not one of what i consider the best of the best: Chanel, LV, Hermes, Dior, Gucci, Balenciaga, Prada...)

have any of you ever found yourself in this situation and if so how did you handle what your head said you should do (because of money issues, lifestyle, economy, etc.) from what your heart really craved? Saving up for a high end bag is not possible, because it would take me 20 years and because of how old i am now, it wouldnt have much use in a nursing home by that time..

I am ashamed, am a label snob, and deserve to be doomed to no more bags ever again! :shame::blush: Please help me! TIA

Last edited:
I feel 'bad' for about 5 minutes if I don't stick to my wish-list coz because it means something has to be struck off the list.
This year's list is already in jeopardy - I just bought a Balenciaga bowling so an Epi speedy is now off my list (can't have everything).

NOW I have to careful otherwise I might seriously might spend my VL Vernis Alma and Gucci Secret money on other bags (or things).

We all only have so much saved up ££$$, right?

Nothing wrong with Kors bags actually.
You can use it more casually and you won't have to worry about it so much.
It's good to have a mix of bags anyway I think.

I am like this too. Somehow this problem of mine cured itself when I went abroad for about 6 months. During this time, I didn't carry any designer bags whatsoever. I bought a few cheap trendy bags off the street markets and loved them. Now that I am back home, I don't feel like such a label whore anymore. I am totally okay with carrying a common Coach or even some of the no name bags I brought back from my trip.

I'm not suggesting that you go on a long expensive trip to cure this habit, but maybe use this bag as a start. Try to use this bag when you can and get used to it. You might find that it grows on you after a period of time and you like it better.

I am kind of the opposite as I'm not attracted to high end bags - LV, Chanel, Hermes do nothing at all to push my buttons. I'm more of a mid-range person with funky colors and designs. I did recently buy a Michael Kors bag which I absolutely love but when I first look at it I thought - Michael Kors huh? I love the way this bag looks but I was hesitant about the quality since it's not a brand you hear as being well loved on TPF or elsewhere. I wondered if there was wrong with it I wasn't aware of but it sure looked good to me. I decided to go for it and I'm so glad I did because it totally rocks! It's working out perfectly as a shoulder bag, a cross body bag or a tote. I feel like a rock star when I carry it. :cool:

What was it about the tote that drew you to it? Did you love the look or style when you bought it or were you just trying to go for cheaper in price? If you were just trying to settle than maybe that's what you're not feeling great about your new bag. I'm not much help at all with the label thing, I'm perfectly with a Tano bag and Fossil has recently caught my eye and I haven't purchased a Fossil bag in ages. On the other hand it would be hard for me to go back to JCPenny now that I've discovered more luxurious leathers and beautiful hardware. :tender: Maybe I'm a teeny bit of a bag snob. :smile:

Linda

you ladies are so sweet and helpful! thank you! and Linda, I LOVE the Kors! thats where the embarrassment entered the pic..if it would have been "one of the big 6 according to Claudia's twisted brain bags", with the MK charm dangling from it being a Chanel, etc., instead, I woulda been...fill in the blank:

Joyous__________________
Still snobby______________
Wanting to sleep with the bag____________ (see quote at bottom of post box)
More realistic_______________
Still insane__________________

heehee
:biggrin::nuts:

Last edited:
Claudia, you have tremendous value in the eyes of God and in the eyes of those who love you. Your value is not increased nor is it diminished by the bag you place on your arm.

I am kind of the opposite as I'm not attracted to high end bags

same here, I try to run away from labels as much as I can. I didn't use to be like this, I was very obsessed but didn't buy anything I just looked, I was always waiting to have enough money to buy a high end bag and when I finally did...I did not want to buy it!
I am attracted now to more 'mysterious' handbags :P where not many know the bag is expensive and is designer for example Proenza Schouler, Alexander Wang... and I currently have Rebecca Minkoff, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Burberry (non print :P), and Botkier handbags in my collection.

I don't want to say that I will never buy a high end bag, if I find one that will make my heart bounce, then I will get it no matter what.

Congrats on you MK bag Claudia :balloon:

I know how you feel. I kind of feel the same way. I never want to carry a lesser bag, I don't think anything bad about another brand, but a lot of the time they don't compare in quality. It's hard to explain, but I feel ya! ;)

I totally understand- I went through a phase where I only bought LV, Marc Jacobs, Fendi, Gucci... but lately I have bought a couple of Coach, a Treesje and even a B. Makowsky from Dillards, and I love them! I started to feel guilty about all of the money, and there's no need at all for me to have any more uber-expensive bags. Obviously you need to love them, but give the M. Kors a chance!

Heh! A week after I got a Burberry on sale, I ended up buying a PVC Nine West for $28 (75 percent off) because it is adorable and I wanted a white bag to throw around the rest of the summer. It took me days to get up the courage to wear the 9W and guess what has gotten the most attention? That includes a woman in the mall carrying a Michael Kors Skorpios who said she had to know where my bag was from.

If you don't like the MK logo, take it off. Only someone familiar with it will know the bag anyway.

I wouldn't say I've switched since Prada has my heart but I do rock my MbyMJ Faridah and love it to bits. I also use a MbyMJ nylon bag for a gym bag and love that one also. If I like it then I wear it. I must admit that if the label is one of which I am a fan, it makes the appeal that much more enticing to me however.

I know that feeling! I started out with Prada, then expanded into Gucci, Marc Jacobs, Chloe, Dolce & Gabbana, Balenciaga, Burberry and Gerard Darel. Then this year I found a great Lucky Brand bag on eBay. I also discovered Dent's in the UK. These are great too (and very low-priced), but now I need to ask myself, 'What's so great about those other brands?' But most of the high-end brands I have have lasted for years. I'll have to wait and see with the 'cheapies'! One good thing is, none of them LOOK cheap.

If you love it, rock it for sure. I've actually been so pleasantly surprised by the mid-range designers in the past few years, I've bought more and more of them.