switching from highest of high end, to moderate?

Buying mid-range doesn't work for me. I tend to want the best of brand or quality in whatever and nothing else satisfies me ....If I try to "settle" for "less" I just end up buying twice and wasting money so I learned my lesson just get the best quality whatever ... and save myself the trouble of buying twice because settling for something "less" is a waste of money. It may not be rational to other people but that's how my mind works....

For example, I tried buying cheaper sweaters one year instead of cashmere and it was a waste of the money. They didn't look, feel or wear as well, and I disliked them so much I never wore them, ended up throwing them out when I got tired of looking at I went and spent the money for the good cashmere sweaters. So I spent twice. Another big regret, I once bought a bracelet with lower color grade diamonds and I just don't love the braclet as much as my jewelry with WHITE D color sparklers and so the hated and despised braclet sits collecting dust at the bottom of my jewelry box because I'm unable to get rid of it because of the low resale value for jewelry although yet I never wear it..... More wasted money there....

Wow, I can kinda see your point but, when it comes to that "hated & despised" diamond bracelet, well I'd take it! I'm a diamond connoisseur but if I didn't wear a diamond just because of it was near colorless instead of colorless then I may just as well not wear ANYTHING but F-flawless clarity diamonds either! That's almost like me turning down a pink diamond (the one that I'm trying to save for but these this pesky bag fettish is gettin in the way) just because it's SI clarity instead of flawless!

Last edited:
I dont mind spending extra money on good quality, and that goes for handbags. Plus I feel more dignified with a top shelf bag - I just makes me feel good. The important thing is not getting caught up in thinking you need the highest of high end for everything you buy. That is just consumerism and its not sustainable for your bank account. There has to be some balance.

I own one Chanel bag that I got at a high end consignment store for a whopping $95 and although I didn't spend a lot for it, I feel like a million bucks carrying it, so I get what you mean about the whole label thing. I know a lot of it is psycological. My wardrobe is a mix of high and low. The high end is mostly from this same consignment store and again when I'm wearing these fabulously made items, I feel more special-and again it's not so much the price of the item as the label itself. Lately I've been obsessed with MK and Michael Kors-I think he has some fabulous things and he's very underrated here on the forum. I say rock your new MK bag!! :smile:

^^ I think EXCESS not cost per item is the real problem budgetwise for most people....How many is enough is what people really need to ask themselves IMO. .....I mean do we really need 25 handbags and 500 pairs of shoes.....fashion becomes expensive when we always want more and more and or just too many of this or that........We've all seen the closets of some famous women ....they have 500 shoes, 50 of which are lets say tan shoes but just slightly different shades of tan when 3 pairs of tan shoes in light tan, medium tan and beige would have done just as well! Or women with 20 lhandbags seven of which are the same black Chanel bag only with a different style chain strap....when One Black Reissue and One Black Classic Flap would be just fine....Why buy so much? That's when the cost per item becomes burdensome IMO. I just try to plan my purchases carefully and will delay a purchase for a later date if necessary rather than settle for cheaper. I find the end result is i'm not always wanting more, more and more because I am satisfied and content since what I bought is exactly what I wanted even if it's expensive.

I own one Chanel bag that I got at a high end consignment store for a whopping $95 and although I didn't spend a lot for it, I feel like a million bucks carrying it, so I get what you mean about the whole label thing. I know a lot of it is psycological. My wardrobe is a mix of high and low. The high end is mostly from this same consignment store and again when I'm wearing these fabulously made items, I feel more special-and again it's not so much the price of the item as the label itself. Lately I've been obsessed with MK and Michael Kors-I think he has some fabulous things and he's very underrated here on the forum. I say rock your new MK bag!! :smile:
D%mn woman :nuts:! I wish I could find a consignment shop like that where I live! Great job on your fab purchases! $95 bucks for a real Channel? Im sooo envious! :greengrin:

I dont mind spending extra money on good quality, and that goes for handbags. Plus I feel more dignified with a top shelf bag - I just makes me feel good. The important thing is not getting caught up in thinking you need the highest of high end for everything you buy. That is just consumerism and its not sustainable for your bank account. There has to be some balance.

I agree with you. This IS consumerism - you can pair a cheap-ish outfit with a great bag, or great shoes and make it look like you spent a load of $$ on the whole thing. It's about how you wear it, not what you spent.

75% of people aren't going to know that your entire outfit didn't bust the bank.

I am totally in the same boat. Bought a no-name brand tan leather tote for school and felt very strange about it. It is kind of refreshing to buy a bag that you don't have to worry too much about and doesn't break the bank. However, part of me is examining all of the stitching etc and annoyed at how not designer quality perfect it is. I think we should make a support thread for this lol.