Stolen bags

I'm sorry you had this violation of your personal belongings. I cannot believe that it occurred on the grounds where you had your horse riding lessons?? Isn't there a security camera that took video of the parking lot?

It will take some time before you begin to feel more comfortable when going out with your personal belongings. It is natural to feel paranoid that something bad will happen again. Maybe you can get a bag you can wear crossbody when you are out, or a convertible bag to wear crossbody until you are comfortable again to wear it on your arm.

I think the next time you go for your horse riding lessons, I would keep the valuables at home, or install an auto alarm so you will have peace of mind.

Things are stolen not just from car... my fren had her LVs stolen from her home! She lost 4 LVs in all and of course the rest of the family lost valuable items such as watches etc. We just have to be careful when we are out, avoid leaving things lying around or in the open when we are not nearby.

I would just make sure that if you put anything in the trunk/boot, you don't do it right befoore you go into the gym. Sometimes people are watching. Try to put stuff in the trunk before you drive to your ultimate location.

Yes: this is also very true. That day I took the bag out of the car for a moment (very bad choice, because someone probably saw me). We should do it BEFORE arriving to the ultimate place.

I don't have anything to add Babi, I'm just very sorry this happened to you, it is a terrible trauma. Most of us live in denial about these things.

That's my trauma, in fact. I never think it can happen (although it's already happened something similar in the past). Thank you so much dear papertiger :hugs:

I agree too, when I go grocery shopping I NEVER leave my bag sitting in the cart, I have been guilty of leaving it in the seat when I pump gas though. When I go out to restaurants my Louis sits in my Lap, I have a friend who will sit hers on the floor but then again her bag is fake lol!

Yes, that's another one. I really have no idea: how should a person behave when pumping gas? I am also guilty of sometimes leaving the bag sitting in the cart while grocery shopping....I'm terrible!!

I'm sorry you had this violation of your personal belongings. I cannot believe that it occurred on the grounds where you had your horse riding lessons?? Isn't there a security camera that took video of the parking lot?

It will take some time before you begin to feel more comfortable when going out with your personal belongings. It is natural to feel paranoid that something bad will happen again. Maybe you can get a bag you can wear crossbody when you are out, or a convertible bag to wear crossbody until you are comfortable again to wear it on your arm.

I think the next time you go for your horse riding lessons, I would keep the valuables at home, or install an auto alarm so you will have peace of mind.

Thank you rainrowan:smile:
The auto alarm wasn't working (I should have it checked).
The owners of the place would like to install cameras, but customers would rather not to, because of the privacy violation.. In any case I'm now using less valuable things when going there, and moreover in winter I can use my pocketed jackets, so bags will stay at home!

Things are stolen not just from car... my fren had her LVs stolen from her home! She lost 4 LVs in all and of course the rest of the family lost valuable items such as watches etc. We just have to be careful when we are out, avoid leaving things lying around or in the open when we are not nearby.

Once I had a gorgeous shirt (really beautiful) stolen in a very good hotel...
A nice necklace, too. Oh, yes, in another hotel my grandfather had a cashmere sweater stolen...
when you leave your suitcase open, in your room, before leaving (as I did) pay attention: the maids can be tempted.

At home: jewels. Once.

In a club in Milan, while I was enjoying a private party, with security in the room not allowing not known people to partecipate to that specific party...lots of bags on the sofas...the only one that had been stolen was mine! Not the bag, but the wallet.

And you know, in obvious dangerous places (like railway station or other crowded places, like walking in big cities, including Naples) you are mentally ready! This is the point. You always pay attention.
In a relaxing place in the countryside (full of horses and children), in a good hotel, in a known place, you feel "safer" and that's where bad surprises can happen. This is what scares me. When I feel I can relax, then it's getting really risky.

I was gonna say the same thing, use the trunk. Trust me, it doesn't matter whether it's a cheap item or not; sometimes people will steal things just for the thrill. I don't even leave a jacket or sweater in there! Just too much temptation.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Why didn't you put your stuff in the trunk before going to do your activities?

I'm really sorry this happend to you OP, but it is kind of naive of you to really think people can be trusted anymore in this day and age. My mom has NEVER let me leave even a sweater sitting in the car.

My mom used to always tell me not to even leave a slight window cracked in the car. Of course I didn't listen to hear. Come out of the house the next morning and my car had been broken into, the car was a mess and the person had tried to hotwire my car but I guess there was some feature in my car that completely locked it down...I couldn't even start my engine with my keys. Thank goodness for that feature otherwise i would be out the car! And I didn't even have anything sitting in the car to tempt them...just a mere crack stimulated evil thoughts. I learned my lesson and i am sure you have learned yours.

Last edited:
yoyotomatoe said:
I was thinking the exact same thing. Why didn't you put your stuff in the trunk before going to do your activities?

I'm really sorry this happend to you OP, but it is kind of naive of you to really think people can be trusted anymore in this day and age. My mom has NEVER let me leave even a sweater sitting in the car.

My mom used to always tell me not to even leave a slight window cracked in the car. Of course I didn't listen to hear. Come out of the house the next morning and my car had been broken into, the car was a mess and the person had tried to hotwire my car but I guess there was some feature in my car that completely locked it down...I couldn't even start my engine with my keys. Thank goodness for that feature otherwise i would be out the car! And I didn't even have anything sitting in the car to tempt them...just a mere crack stimulated evil thoughts. I learned my lesson and i am sure you have learned yours.

Unfortunately this too true...
In fact where I live (Houston) we don't even choose to have expensive cars or update our cars every 3 years or so like most people for this exact reason. Everyone around us has had a break in. Car or house or both!!
But no one messes with us because of our ancient Toyotas. 2006 and 2007.
Plus we save money on car notes! So more money for bags!!
And yes, NEVER leave anything in your car. No matter where you are.

I left my BV onto seat of my locked car while I dropped off books to donate at the library. My car was in the loading zone and I left it for less than five minutes. It was horrible but I learned my lesson. Take it with you at all times.

Babi, I'm late reading this...so sorry this happened to you. I feared it was your HAC that was stolen, glad it's not but it sucks nevertheless. Hugs

So sorry your stuff was stolen, OP! My complete condolences.

Its funny i found this because not too long ago, I was sitting in my car waiting for DH and DD to come back from the supermarket and some man walked by my car and stared really hard at my Givenchy Nightingale. It freaked me out!

I have become very self conscious of all the shopping bags I bring into my home when I park on the street instead of the garage. I now, place my shopping (even cheap stuff from the dollar store) in my beat up envirosax bags. That way, it probably looks like I'm just carrying junk of some sort and nothing very tempting.

I confess to leaving my bag in the car when I go to the gym. My windows are tinted and I place the bag in the back and usually throw a sweater or books over it (there are always books and other things in my car. Or, I place my bag in my envirosax bag and it just blends into the toys and other things my kids have left in the truck. I'm going to work on this - my gym is all of a minute drive away from the house. I'll just drive by my home, run my bag upstairs and head over to the gym instead.

*praying* God, please don't let my home get robbed. Apart from the stress such a violation will cause, I would really lose a lot if my valuables were taken! Amen.

I would just make sure that if you put anything in the trunk/boot, you don't do it right befoore you go into the gym. Sometimes people are watching. Try to put stuff in the trunk before you drive to your ultimate location.

This is so true; my husband went to a restaurant for lunch with friends. He got out and put his briefcase in the trunk. When he came out the trunk had been popped and the briefcase stolen. They had definitely been watching.

This is so true; my husband went to a restaurant for lunch with friends. He got out and put his briefcase in the trunk. When he came out the trunk had been popped and the briefcase stolen. They had definitely been watching.
In my area.....ladies never put their bags on the passenger's seat while driving unless the doors are locked ....which could be a problem if an accident happened.
As a matter of fact, some boys on scooters just open the door at the traffic lights and disappear in the flow....It happened lots of times....
Nobody would leave a bag , a suitcase or even groceries in a car even for 5 minutes!

I have a habit of locking mine in the car on the nights I'm at the humane society. I hate taking it inside; there is no where good to put it (old, kucky building but we are moving to a BRAND NEW ONE that we worked soooo hard for YEARS soon! Hurry, builders, give us the 'go' sign! Can you tell I'm excited??? LOL) I always park in the employee side of the lot but it sure gets dark there at night......Sheesh I just remembered the night the shelter director came out and found a bassett hound in her car! Idiot person did not want to dump at the counter, dumps dog in an employees car! I think I will just quit taking my purse!