Stella Dilema - I need opinions!

What do I do??

• Take the $20 and shut up! You got a great deal!

• Send it back and end up $40 in the hole

• $20 isn't enough for the refund, let PP decide!

Results are only viewable after voting.

madzia

O.G.
Jun 27, 2006
Hi all!
So I bought a MJ Stella from eBay for $215 with shipping. The bag was listed as New without tags (which to me means that is hasn't been used EVER)

I got the bag, and for the most part the condition is ok but there seems to be some wear on the handles and what resembles a pen mark on the inside of one of the pockets (small, but i still know it's there). Also, the bottom part of the handles below the buckle are starting to curl up. All of these details are making me think that the bag was in fact used, maybe lightly, but none the less the seller misrepresented the item.

I e-mailed him and told him my concerns, he kind of ignored my questions & concerns about the condition and kept assuring me that the bag hasn't been used and is authentic (i'm not questioning the authenticity, just the usage part)

So after this went on for a week I filed a dispute with PayPal...he kept saying that he'll either refund me $20 for the discrepancy in condition or I can send the bag back to him and he'd refund me 200, (that's the price minus the shipping) and I'd also have to cover his relisting fees as well as the cost to ship it back to him (basically I'd end up in the hole about $40 and no bag).

My thought was that this was not enough and I asked for $50 back to make up for the condition

The problem is this: I like the bag and the condition of it is still ok, it's just I hate misrepresents something like this and I probably would've thought twice about buying it if i knew it's exact condition.

He's also escalated the dispute to a claim at this point and tells me to take the $20, ship it back (lose about $40), or my 3rd option is to let PP decide....

So what do I do? :hysteric:

i'd continue with the claim and request that he at least give you a decent discount. the bag was not as described, and it's his mistake not yours.

ugh i know! he just keeps insisting that I got SUCH a great deal and to "give him a break" and that he can sell the bag "10x over" what I paid and that i got a $1000 bag for $200.... he's not at all admitting to a mistake, just trying to make me feel stupid....which is just ridiculously frustrating

Ebay does not permit a seller to list a bag as NEW if it has been carried. With Tags or WITHOUT - which some sellers just don't get. I would let Paypal decide as they are an Ebay subsidiary. Out of curiosity was it even shown as new in the description options that the seller selects to populate?? Take screenshots of the listing regardless!

Ebay does not permit a seller to list a bag as NEW if it has been carried. With Tags or WITHOUT - which some sellers just don't get. I would let Paypal decide as they are an Ebay subsidiary. Out of curiosity was it even shown as new in the description options that the seller selects to populate?? Take screenshots of the listing regardless!

It was shown as "Condition: New: Without Tags" in the Item specifics section

but it looks like he made his own item description section in the listing and listed the condition as excellent there (I didn't even see this up until now!) i'm posting a screen shot for you guys...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 59
send it back and get a FULL refund. he just doesn't want to lose any money, but that's a risk he took when he decided to be fraudulent. the bag isn't what you wanted and expected and from personal experience, you won't be happy with it.

i agree with all the points made above. he misrepresented the item and now he is giving you a hard time when you ask for compensation in return? i would file the paypal dispute. let him escalate to a claim. he sounds like an obstinate fool anyways. be sure to document the damages you listed and go so far as to email the photos to paypal. paypal has this tendency to decide in favor of the sellers even when they're clearly in the wrong without asking for any evidence or input from the person who filed the dispute to begin with. also, be ready for this to drag on for much longer than it has to. i once had a paypal claim take a month and a half to resolve.

It was shown as "Condition: New: Without Tags" in the Item specifics section

but it looks like he made his own item description section in the listing and listed the condition as excellent there (I didn't even see this up until now!) i'm posting a screen shot for you guys...

Cannot do that- New without tags according to EBAY...

Please indicate the condition of your apparel item. To be listed as "New: With Tags", items must be brand new, never worn, with the original retail tag(s) still attached. If the item is brand new, never worn but does not have original retail tag(s) then please select "New: Without tags". For all other conditions, please select "Pre-Owned".

Sure hope you filed a SNAD - you should get a full refund.:yes:

If you send the bag back to him, he can file a returned item claim with ebay and he will get his listing fees back (so don't let him bully you into paying those).
Since this is HIS FAULT and not yours, he should also reimburse the full shipping since YOU will have to ship it back to HIM due to his misleading description.

I understand that it's upsetting (I had something similar happen with a used LV bag but it was in such bad condition I did NOT want it). She wanted me to pay a 15% restocking fee (which was not in her description). I filed the claim and she refunded me the next day. :smile:

If you truly love the bag and can get past the imperfections, then I'd try to negotiate the compensation; maybe meet in the middle at $35 or something? $200 is an AMAZING deal on a Stella so I don't know how I'd handle it.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Ehhhhh... 200 for a stella.. and the condition seems to be pretty ok. I've paid more than that for used Stellas on ebay.

It's your decision. Maybe just leave him bad feedback??

That is a great deal, so I'd take the $20 and move on. My guess is that the bag came from an Off 5th or a similar store. Those bags just sit out on tables on display, and they can get beat up sometimes. I bought a brand new bag at Off 5th once that had scratches and pen marks just from being out on the tables. I got a great deal, so I didn't mind. But at least I knew that before buying.