Star Jones files for divorce

elizat

Sep 21, 2007
Star Jones Files for Divorce

By Stephen M. Silverman
Originally posted Wednesday April 23, 2008 12:20 PM EDT

Star Jones and Al Reynolds Photo by: Jeff Gentner / Getty
reynolds_jones240.jpg
Star Jones has filed for divorce from husband Al Reynolds, the former View co-host has announced.

In a statement to Entertainment Tonight, Jones, 46, says: "Several years ago I made an error in judgment by inviting the media into the most intimate area of my life. A month ago I filed for divorce. The dissolution of a marriage is a difficult time in anyone's life that requires privacy with one's thoughts."

The statement concludes as follows: "I have committed myself to handling this situation with dignity and grace and look forward to emerging from this period as a stronger and wiser woman."

Jones and Reynolds, a banker who is seven years' Jones's junior, married in 2004 in an elaborate ceremony – complete with controversial corporate sponsors – that included 500 guests and the bride's arrival at the church in a horse-drawn carriage.

"Every single wedding fantasy I ever had was fulfilled, down to the most handsome groom in the history of the world," Reynolds told PEOPLE at the time.

As early as 2006, however, Jones was putting to rest rumors that her marriage was on the rocks. "These categorically false stories and their continuation are clearly being generated by someone for vindictive reasons alone," Jones said through her publicist.

In all, it has been a bumpy two years for the former View cohost, who parted ways with the ABC daytime program – and with its chief host and executive producer, Barbara Walters – in 2006.

In early February of this year, when her eponymous TruTV (formerly Court TV) show left the air, Jones expressed pride in her efforts and in herself.

In a statement at the time, she said, "Whenever there is a change in life, you re-assess, re-evaluate and decide if what you are doing ... is what you should be doing. My answer is yes."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20194645,00.html

They really sell us girls a bag of goods with the wedding fantasy bullsh!t. Star Jones was super intelligent (and a grown woman to boot) when she bought into it hook, line, and sinker.