Speedy lovers (and others): why do you prefer a handheld bag?

Dotti105

May 9, 2011
I always carry a shoulder bag and really dislike having to carry a bag by hand or in the crook of my arm. Now why is that??!! And some of you won't consider purchasing a shoulder bag. It is personal preference, convenience, multitasking with kids or what is it that forms our preferences? Just curious as to what you all think! I wouldn't ever consider a speedy because of the handles. But that's just me. I think being a mom and needing both hands free at all times changed my preferences for life! Is that nuts?? LOL!!

I always carry a shoulder bag and really dislike having to carry a bag by hand or in the crook of my arm. Now why is that??!! And some of you won't consider purchasing a shoulder bag. It is personal preference, convenience, multitasking with kids or what is it that forms our preferences? Just curious as to what you all think! I wouldn't ever consider a speedy because of the handles. But that's just me. I think being a mom and needing both hands free at all times changed my preferences for life! Is that nuts?? LOL!!

Not nuts at all! I'm so glad you made this thread actually. I love a hands-free bag. I hate having my hands full, which is why I'm getting a Neverfull. However, I've been contemplating a Speedy as well, but I've never used a handheld.

I'm a mom of two young kids and I'm a hand held bag girl. I love the way it looks on me and find that shoulder bags don't have the same appeal. I have 2 speedy's and sold the NF a week after I bought it.

It can be a hassle when I'm shopping, have my hands full and my phone starts ringing in my bag....but I still prefer a hand held bag or crossbody bag. There are some shoulder bags that I love (romance idylle) but it looked awful on me. Shoulder bags don't do it for me.

I only wear shoulder bags because I hate holding bags in general. I tend to buy shoulder bags because they are cute, like the tivoli pm, but I always end up selling it. However I bought the pink graffiti speedy recently because it's so cute and I love it!!!! I still wear shoulder bags most of the time, because it's easier. But when I go out, I use my speedy because I like the way it looks!

Interesting thread-I prefer a handheld bag for a few reasons, but mostly because I have back problems and find that with using shoulder bags my back starts to hurt. I think it's probably my body shifting my shoulders to manage the weight of the bag etc. With a handheld I don't seem to have as much back/shoulder pain.

I'm a handheld person...I have tried to get used to shoulder bags but like handheld better...maybe it's my size (plus) and I feel when using a shoulder bag it only makes my body even larger....it looks cumbersome and feels like it's dragging me down....needless to say I love the look of shoulder bags on all the wonderful modeling pics here and wish I could pull it off like you gals here!

I had been a handheld person for years. I disliked the feeling of having something on my shoulder until I have kids. I need that extra hands especially having twins. I purchased my first shoulder bag - Totally MM and since then, I'm in love with shoulder bags. Now I carry mostly shoulder bags unless I go out with DH or by myself.

I love handheld bags, but it's not very practical currently with a 2 years old. That's why i bought the retiro pm, it's handheld and i can wear it over my shoulder if i need to carry my son. But when my son will be older, i'll certainly remove the strap and carry it handlheld only!

I used to be strictly a shoulder bag girl, until I got a speedy 30. I absolutely love them now, I have 3, and that is all I use. I like the way the look, function and how they look smaller but hold so much more. I have 3 kids too. I do have a strap for all of them though for those times it is necessary for hands free.... I also have very long hair and shoulder bags tend to get caught in it and pull it or tear it out, I guess I could take the time to move my hair but I don't as I am always rushed it seems...lol... I have been looking at shoulder bags though, I really like the galliera and the artsy, but I am afraid I would not use it as much as my speedy's... I will say that when my kids were younger when I carried a diaper bag and all that stuff that goes along with it I only carred shoulder bags, because after all you have to carry the baby somehow right.. My youngest is 6 so it is easier now... I just love the speedy..

I prefer handheld bags. I have always been drawn to more of a satchel style bag, and I am not sure why. I also get bad pains on the shoulder/neck area when I carry a heavy shoulder bag for an extended period of time.

Shoulder bag or cross body bags are more practical when you have small kids or when you need hands free of course so I rarely shop or travel with my handheld bags.

I have always been a shoulder bag girl. I think it is because that's what my mom does and I mimicked her. I am going to break down and buy a Speedy one of these days though. It's an icon and I must have her in my collection!

I used hand held bags only until I had kids. Then I switched to shoulder bags when my kids were younger,that way I could hold hands. I recently starting using a new speedy and it felt goos having my shoulder free and odd to be carrying a bag with my hands again .