songzzz.com is it legal??

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a question for bagnshoo: I get the 'concept' of intellectual property, but what about places like youtube? I mean, by rights artists should be paid copyright anytime their song is played on media (like through a radio station, if I am correct?)...but there is so much stuff available there.

I'm guilty of going to youtube and checking there if I don't have a particular song by an artist, and listening to it or watching the video. Is this criminal?

this is a question for bagnshoo: I get the 'concept' of intellectual property, but what about places like youtube? I mean, by rights artists should be paid copyright anytime their song is played on media (like through a radio station, if I am correct?)...but there is so much stuff available there.

I'm guilty of going to youtube and checking there if I don't have a particular song by an artist, and listening to it or watching the video. Is this criminal?

thats one of the issues that are being litigated as we speak. the rule of thumb usually is, if the site is a commerce site, (making money from playing the music itself) then yes, they need to pay for the use of the music. But if they are simply showcasing a video that has music on it, whereas the person submitting is not making any money off it, then they can get away with it. The reason artists offer their music videos this way is because it costs them nothing, and exposes their work to a greater audience, the payoff hopefully being that people will want the entire content that is for sale elsewhere. Also, the sound transmission quality of the music on YouTube is still pretty poor so people are going to want the real download eventually. Its done in the spirit of marketing a new band or new music. Radiohead first offered their new album for free via the internet, but people demanded they sell them an actual CD instead due to the sound quality.

Whew. I can sleep in peace tonight knowing that bagnshoo will not be hungry because of me watching youtube. Thanks for answering the question, bagnshoo. This was something that I had thought of much before this thread came up. (Especially since I've seen some videos become unavailable due to copyright violations)

wonderful.:cursing:

I wish people would stop to think about what it would be like to work for weeks or months on something, promote it, put up with a-hole execs and then not get a dime for all your work? would anyone here work all week and not like to get paid for what they do? people need to learn what intellectual property means. when you pay for music or a movie or even a book, you own the paper, the plastic, etc. but you do not own the content. you are "licensing" it. you are "renting" it. I get so frustrated. sorry amanda, wasn't flaming you - just used your post as a launching pad...

no problem, i'm a writer so the issues of intellectual property and copyright are very near and dear to my heart :smile:

and i pay for all my music. willingly and happily.

Bags - did you get the forms from soundexchange to notify congress about the bill so artist/owner etc get paid when its played on the radio?
our publishing company keeps track of all airplay beit radio, movies, commercials, etc. however are these soundexchange forms something different from that? is it like a petition? cause the laws they are trying to enforce now are mostly about internet sales, downloads, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.