social networking sites

I remember when friendster first came out in 2004. People were nuts about it. Then along came myspace, where all the hipster kids hung out because you can promote your music. Then there's facebook, which is nice because you must have an email address associated with your college so you have less creeps on there.

A lot of the local people here do hi5.com, although it's been suggested that they should just rename the darn website to thai5.com, since everyone from Bangkok's on it.

I think it's interesting they decided to have an internet community. It's perfect for the kind of kids who are so socially awkward from being protected.

I volunteer for a non-profit organization that organizes events for international students, most of whom don't actually go to school, but have student visas so they can stay in the US for longer than with a tourist visa. They are definitely the kind of kids who would use this. My BF is one of those kids ... it doesn't make me appreciate any less the level of irony demonstrated in those sites: the most popular kids in the world are sitting around their laptops scheming of ways to make friends with each other. Just like the nerds used to be isolated, now the jet set kids have their little imaginary world from which to broadcast digi pix of their new fake LV. Fun!

soshesaid said:
I think it's interesting they decided to have an internet community. It's perfect for the kind of kids who are so socially awkward from being protected.

I volunteer for a non-profit organization that organizes events for international students, most of whom don't actually go to school, but have student visas so they can stay in the US for longer than with a tourist visa. They are definitely the kind of kids who would use this. My BF is one of those kids ... it doesn't make me appreciate any less the level of irony demonstrated in those sites: the most popular kids in the world are sitting around their laptops scheming of ways to make friends with each other. Just like the nerds used to be isolated, now the jet set kids have their little imaginary world from which to broadcast digi pix of their new fake LV. Fun!

I think you're being ironic, but actually those sites are more for people who are looking for travel and party advice. A lot of people start out with most of their friends already on the site (and not the other way around).

And, no, I have never seen anyone post pictures of their fake LVs on any of those sites. ;)

soshesaid said:

With facebook you need a valid email address from a recognized and accredited university to even register. They started out with just the Top 20 schools and slowly expanded to add more and more schools. All my friends on there are people I actually know at school and from HS.. and almost EVERYONE at my school is on facebook. We use it to broadcast dorm parties, frat events, etc.

LOL and if you think we're "socially awkward" for using facebook.. then wow you must be in the very elite 1% of undergrads :rolleyes:

sparkles48 said:
They started out with just the Top 20 schools and slowly expanded to add more and more schools.

LOL and if you think we're "socially awkward" for using facebook.. then wow you must be in the very elite 1% of undergrads :rolleyes:

Haha, my awful ivy-league friends joke about "back in the day when facebook used to be elite."

Seriously, it doesn't matter who the person is, if they're in college, they're probably on facebook!

Is anyone a member of Sybarites.com? A super nice person emailed me and asked me to write a "short essay" about myself! I don't want to be a member that badly! Seems like a neat community, though.

IntlSet said:
Haha, my awful ivy-league friends joke about "back in the day when facebook used to be elite."

LOL! My school has that as a facebook group too :rolleyes:

Ooh btw - just incase anyone took my comment the wrong way.. I didn't mean to insinuate anything by it! I was just pointing out that facebook isn't some cockamamie website that Jack the Ripper can pull up and get online on to make some new friends. LOL!