So SERIOUSLY...How do you guys think MGC's DIOR is doing with the bags? (POLL)

Is MGC's Dior aesthetic a winner?

• Total voters
MGC will last longer than Raf Simons at Dior. I think her contract was set up so that it would be longer than Raf's, as Dior does not want to have another new creative director after 3 years of having a new designer again. While getting a new designer is good for creating temporary hype, it can have detrimental effects if the house acts like a revolving door. The top job becomes the job that no one wants to keep.

The question about what makes a Dior bag distinctly Dior? It's the Cannage quilting, Dior charms, curved lady-like top handles, and a couture approach to embellishment. The reissued vintage bags are definitely Dior. Bags that don't have these traits may not look like they are distinctly Dior, but if you look at most brands, you can say pretty much the same thing about some of their styles. Take away the logo, and bags like Chanel's Cerf tote, Prada Galleria, Vuitton Neverfull/Goyard St. Louis, and Gucci Soho could technically belong to any brand with nothing truly distinctive.

In other words, this is a dilemma for every brand that has multiple bag offerings, not just Dior.

@TraceySH the fact that her Dior was more exciting for you means that her re-branding is successful, and many woman share your experience. Her Dior is commercially successful, is resonating with a larger age-group (with pieces that appeal to very young clients as well as mature clients), and I see her staying power at the house.
Thank you for your always thoughtful responses, and I get where you are coming from. And I know it's a careful balance for any house to have fresh talent & ideas while managing existing clients & generating sales. I am glad sometimes you are the voice of reason when I (or we as it were) have an emotion related to a snapshot in time, instead of considering the larger picture. I am super good with the stuff I've bought, it's useful, luxe, incredibly well-made and chic/edgy for my lifestyle. Cruise has been a sort of "what just happened moment" (I am not alone, as I know now multiple boutique SA's that I have spoken with are dumbfounded as well) and so it puts me in purgatory with Dior. I liked, for the most part, maybe even loved, MGC's stuff until this point. Like someone else said, enough with the tarot/ astrology/ mystical stuff, and I agree. My excitement has gone to wtf to now, well, I will just have to wait to see the next collection to gauge whether or not to continue being engaged in my "Dior enthusiasm". I am disappointed, that's all. And I am allowed to be. I will just be in freeze mode until I have more information to proceed one way or the other. But you know what? Chanel's lackluster collections lead me to other designers (like Dior), and I am sure this collection will call to some that same way.

Thank you for your always thoughtful responses, and I get where you are coming from. And I know it's a careful balance for any house to have fresh talent & ideas while managing existing clients & generating sales. I am glad sometimes you are the voice of reason when I (or we as it were) have an emotion related to a snapshot in time, instead of considering the larger picture. I am super good with the stuff I've bought, it's useful, luxe, incredibly well-made and chic/edgy for my lifestyle. Cruise has been a sort of "what just happened moment" (I am not alone, as I know now multiple boutique SA's that I have spoken with are dumbfounded as well) and so it puts me in purgatory with Dior. I liked, for the most part, maybe even loved, MGC's stuff until this point. Like someone else said, enough with the tarot/ astrology/ mystical stuff, and I agree. My excitement has gone to wtf to now, well, I will just have to wait to see the next collection to gauge whether or not to continue being engaged in my "Dior enthusiasm". I am disappointed, that's all. And I am allowed to be. I will just be in freeze mode until I have more information to proceed one way or the other. But you know what? Chanel's lackluster collections lead me to other designers (like Dior), and I am sure this collection will call to some that same way.
I was not impressed with her vision of Dior initially, but I think that I've reacted to every designer who changed the status quo, like Alessandro Michele and Hedi Slimane at Gucci and Saint Laurent, and I've proven myself wrong time after time because those brands became so much more interesting with them at the helm (well, not so much the latter now because he left Saint Laurent). Dramatic and sudden aesthetic changes don't usually sit well with existing customers/fans, but they are necessary to push a brand forward. Relying on a winning formula ends up making some brands into sinking ships in terms of sales growth.

This is not to say all aesthetic changes at major brands are welcoming, and/or successful.

You have shared pictures of some fabulous pieces from Resort 2018 from Dior among the pictures of those "flea market" bags, like those embellished Lady Dior bags, the exotic Diorever bags, and the new J'ADIOR bags. I really like those. I think the focus shouldn't just be on those "strange" artistic pieces. After all, Alessandro Michele made those Plexiglas cat bags for Spring 2016 and it's not like Gucci turned into a brand that made only these types of bags. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, these pieces (including the Dior "flea market" ones) are usually produced in very limited quantities. They are not meant to comprise the majority of the accessories collection. They are meant to be statement/conversation pieces that are so niche that most customers won't buy them.
_A2X0211.jpg

I was not impressed with her vision of Dior initially, but I think that I've reacted to every designer who changed the status quo, like Alessandro Michele and Hedi Slimane at Gucci and Saint Laurent, and I've proven myself wrong time after time because those brands became so much more interesting with them at the helm (well, not so much the latter now because he left Saint Laurent). Dramatic and sudden aesthetic changes don't usually sit well with existing customers/fans, but they are necessary to push a brand forward. Relying on a winning formula ends up making some brands into sinking ships in terms of sales growth.

This is not to say all aesthetic changes at major brands are welcoming, and/or successful.

You have shared pictures of some fabulous pieces from Resort 2018 from Dior among the pictures of those "flea market" bags, like those embellished Lady Dior bags, the exotic Diorever bags, and the new J'ADIOR bags. I really like those. I think the focus shouldn't just be on those "strange" artistic pieces. After all, Alessandro Michele made those Plexiglas cat bags for Spring 2016 and it's not like Gucci turned into a brand that made only these types of bags. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, these pieces (including the Dior "flea market" ones) are usually produced in very limited quantities. They are not meant to comprise the majority of the accessories collection. They are meant to be statement/conversation pieces that are so niche that most customers won't buy them.
_A2X0211.jpg
I stopped to actually paying attention to gucci so long ago I didn't even knew Alessandro had done this bag[emoji42]

Reactions: averagejoe

_A2X0211.jpg
I remember this bag! I was wondering what and how, and what and how! But I knew it was quirky and for the right person, perfect for an evening out. Although I appreciate what AM has done for Gucci, I dislike nearly every last bit of it. To me, though, it's cohesive in its oddity and fringe-ness. Nicolas Ghesquiere is another story, I have no idea what's happening over at LV. It seems like full on reset button each season, despite of course making some changes to the classics. They are all obviously LV, but completely disjointed and all over the place. I understand AM's vision, I don't understand NG's. It's like a favorite music artist dropping a country album after entering the music world with 2 techno albums. You go, ok that's all fine and good, but my connection to this artist was when they were techno, and I hear the voice and a few other things on the country album, but I just don't connect. SO, just still trying to figure out where to connect, and understand the vision. I hope I will be excited in the near future to go out and spent another small fortune on Dior! But I will continue to be OPEN MINDED (!) and just wait to see what else comes along. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. :smile: Please don't misunderstand that I absolutely wish monstrous success for Dior!

But I will continue to be OPEN MINDED (!) and just wait to see what else comes along. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. :smile: Please don't misunderstand that I absolutely wish monstrous success for Dior!
Oh I didn't misunderstand this :smile:. After all, you bought your bags because you connected with the Dior brand.

I have to be open-minded, too, and I catch myself not always being so. I'm hoping that Maria Grazia Chiuri doesn't continue the direction she took for Resort 2018, even though there were some pretty bags, because I'm not a huge fan of this kind of "art" or aesthetic. If her Haute Couture collection in July was any indication, I think she has moved on. The theme was world travel, which is a new direction compared to Resort 2018.

And I totally understand what you mean about a designer's vision not being for everyone. What Maria Grazia Chiuri is doing may be new, but it is also quite polarizing. It is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, especially for fans who have associated the elegance and understatedness that was Dior under Raf Simons. I think Raf Simons designed the most timeless Dior. Even his clothes will look current and modern in a decade. Maria's designs alienate those customers to some degree, although she has improved the Diorama bag which came out under Raf's tenure.

Alessandro Michele certainly isn't for everyone either! But some pieces he designed are so desirable that I never thought Gucci could look so...fun? Not everything is, though. I find with him and Hedi Slimane, you get a few truly amazing pieces among a kaleidoscope of vintage or thrift-shop looks/pieces that just don't work for me. Those truly amazing pieces work so well that you only need one to turn up the volume on an otherwise basic outfit.

Reactions: TraceySH
Oh I didn't misunderstand this :smile:. After all, you bought your bags because you connected with the Dior brand.

I have to be open-minded, too, and I catch myself not always being so. I'm hoping that Maria Grazia Chiuri doesn't continue the direction she took for Resort 2018, even though there were some pretty bags, because I'm not a huge fan of this kind of "art" or aesthetic. If her Haute Couture collection in July was any indication, I think she has moved on. The theme was world travel, which is a new direction compared to Resort 2018.

And I totally understand what you mean about a designer's vision not being for everyone. What Maria Grazia Chiuri is doing may be new, but it is also quite polarizing. It is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, especially for fans who have associated the elegance and understatedness that was Dior under Raf Simons. I think Raf Simons designed the most timeless Dior. Even his clothes will look current and modern in a decade. Maria's designs alienate those customers to some degree, although she has improved the Diorama bag which came out under Raf's tenure.

Alessandro Michele certainly isn't for everyone either! But some pieces he designed are so desirable that I never thought Gucci could look so...fun? Not everything is, though. I find with him and Hedi Slimane, you get a few truly amazing pieces among a kaleidoscope of vintage or thrift-shop looks/pieces that just don't work for me. Those truly amazing pieces work so well that you only need one to turn up the volume on an otherwise basic outfit.
There are a few most postings on the cruise 2018 thread (thanks to everyone for keeping adding stuff) and they ARE beautiful. Ok, except the multicolored yoga positions J'ADior? But they are so delicate though, the beading and sequins. Remember my beautiful club bags in oblique velvet? Those crystals got stuck on all my clothes. :whut:

You know what I liked that never made it here to the US? The beautiful japonais capsule collection (I think that's what it was called). I like the printed or painted leathers, but the beads and crystals always make me anxious :frown:Dior-Jardin-Japonais-Bag-Collection-For-Japan-7.jpg

@averagejoe
There are a few most postings on the cruise 2018 thread (thanks to everyone for keeping adding stuff) and they ARE beautiful. Ok, except the multicolored yoga positions J'ADior? But they are so delicate though, the beading and sequins. Remember my beautiful club bags in oblique velvet? Those crystals got stuck on all my clothes. :whut:

You know what I liked that never made it here to the US? The beautiful japonais capsule collection (I think that's what it was called). I like the printed or painted leathers, but the beads and crystals always make me anxious :frown:View attachment 3825784

I would love to see all the pieces from this collection. Perhaps we can start a thread and cut and paste all our findings? If this capsule is a new thing I'm waiting on a west coast capsule.

I am tempted to go to Japan while I'm in Asia this winter to eat and look at the collection.

To chime in, I'm a Dior convert and was just drawn to the brand this year, as I generally consider myself a Chanel gal. I bought a new Chanel flap in lambskin over the holidays and was not impressed with how flimsy and hollow the the bag and quilting felt, so I discovered a newfound appreciation for the cannage quilting, structure, and craftsmanship of the Lady Dior, which led me to buy my first vintage one this year (which I regretfully sold to fund another purchase =-(. That first purchase led me to buy a brand new My Lady Dior in store last month, but unfortunately after 24 hours I realized that the My Lady Dior aesthetic with the personal charms made me feel and look like a Girl Scout, and the fact that I could only choose astrological pins for my strap din't help, as the pin choices weren't relatable to me.

With that said, I was soooo over the moon and impressed with the outstanding level of customer service that I received from my SA, as he was so patient, pleasant, and kind. The level of service alone will keep me as a Dior customer. For now, I will stick with the classic Lady Dior design that drew me to the brand initially, but as an aside, if anyone finds a J'Adiore slingback in size 42 in black please bless me with a PM :angel: .