So SERIOUSLY...How do you guys think MGC's DIOR is doing with the bags? (POLL)

Is MGC's Dior aesthetic a winner?

• Total voters
So the ankh is the whole chakra alignment/ womb, ancient Egyptian life symbol in the pink bag...right? anyone? Trying to decode here...

IMG_1795.jpg

Last edited:
There has been lots of bashing since Galliano left Dior. These "haters" said Raf Simons' couture looks like ready-to-wear, and the lack of fairy-tale gowns meant that the looks were not Dior (some said Christian Dior himself must be "rolling in his grave" over those looks). Maria brought these fairy-tale gowns back, but it wasn't enough, because those haters won't take anything short of Galliano's return to Dior.

These haters are not truly "plugged in" to the fashion industry. What they don't realize is that Galliano was criticized throughout his career for being a costume designer rather than a true couturier. While I love what he did at Dior, a lot of the Haute Couture looks cannot be worn without looking like someone stepped out of a stage production or portrait.

Their comments of Raf's couture looking like ready-to-wear means they know little about what Haute Couture is, and what the clientele of couture want. What Raf produced was not ready-to-wear, but wearable Haute Couture. The work of the "petite mains" is evident in each piece of his work, with construction that you cannot get in ready-to-wear.

Besides, Christian Dior himself was not just known for fairy-tale ball gowns. His most famous piece is the Bar Jacket in his New Look, which is a day look, not an evening look.

And just like Dior's New Look which was considered so scandalous at the time that the news photographed two women tearing the Dior skirt that another woman was wearing in the middle of the street, almost all of Dior's designers provoked the same outraged responses. Yves Saint Laurent was seen as a rebel when he took over the brand after Christian Dior's death, and he never got his job back after he was conscripted to fight the Algerian War of Independence. The press and public had very polarized reactions to his work.

Galliano received polarized reviews, too, and people who bashed Raf and Maria calling for Galliano's return may not know this. His collections were considered scandalous, especially when he took drug addiction and homelessness as inspiration for high fashion looks. Imagine the conservative Dior client from before Galliano's time, when Marc Bohan and Gianfranco Ferre were designers, suddenly being introduced to punk couture with such controversial references.

Fashion provokes a response. Fashion is a response to the times, and if it doesn't provoke an emotional response, then it's dull and uninteresting.

On the subject of bags, Maria Grazia Chiuri's team has re-introduced vintage styles like the logo duffle bags, and even the traditional CD logo hardware. Her C'est Dior bag is another example of this. She has been able to drive the resale prices of vintage Dior pieces up. No other designer at Dior ever did that. People seem worried about her styles not being "classic", but her strategy to make even older Dior pieces current seems to be in the opposite direction of what people are worried about. Whereas the bags under Galliano's tenure can looked dated within a few years of their introduction, I have a feeling that Maria Grazia Chiuri's vision will keep Dior's bags looking like they transcend seasons.

I find Maria Grazia Chiuri's vision of Dior exciting, fresh, and very of the moment.
I think the problem with MGC is that her collections so far have been so basic in, a not bad way but, like the total opposite of Hedi at SL, they're not particularly exciting, they're just nice and that certainly helps to make people buy them since they are accessible even when the prices aren't.
You buy them because they help you buil a wardrobe in a very anonymous way, even when they have CD all over them is almost like if they were normcore or gorpcore at a higher price even with the sheer deflated gown because we have been seeing them from almost a decade now thanks to her and PPP at Valentino.

Is because of this that her collections feel underwhelming if not plainly disappointing. Even her last collection HC AH 17-18 (the only one I had personally like and even maybe understood the why she did it) is just the same old thing we have seen either from the house or from her, yes, they sell but there's really no reason to put them in such an expensive runway. At least Karl IMHO can still give you a reason to want 200 versions of the same 400 looks in the Chanel runway archives as did Hedi with even less looks at SL but it works because is a very defined kind of person presented in those runways despite the fact that they present more than one in a single show.

The Dior woman meanwhile isn't really identifiable and you can quote Raf on that, she's either one or the other but is nearly impossible to connect them all into a single figure and in that sense the Dior wardrobe stays just a costume that is only worn when you want to become one of them instead of clothes that carry an actual meaning about the wearer beyond "I wanna wear that mainly because it's Dior and I do care who knows it" and maybe that's what makes John legacy so hard to forget even when the reviews of his shows (the ones I've read at Style.com (RIP, it will always be missed)) weren't particularly good.

The accessories are good because, well she's been at it for decades, one does not get to her position by been bad at ones job. They are very now in that "so fake they're real" way so i will give them maybe another year or two before they're replaced with something else but hopefully the structural changes will remain until the production cost allows it.

Reactions: TraceySH
This can not be right. I know MGC understands color theory. Who designed this sad thing?
Is based upon the Mother Peace Tarot deck, probably the most famous round Tarot deck and the most important one about female representations, vogue.com did an article about it after the collection was presented but don't ask me what it said cause I didn't read it (I do not care about this particular collection at all and in maybe the 2 thirds of my life I've been aware about this particular deck it hasn't really called to me enough to study it).

Is based upon the Mother Peace Tarot deck, probably the most famous round Tarot deck and the most important one about female representations, vogue.com did an article about it after the collection was presented but don't ask me what it said cause I didn't read it (I do not care about this particular collection at all and in maybe the 2 thirds of my life I've been aware about this particular deck it hasn't really called to me enough to study it).

I did read that article because I enjoy looking at some of the clothes and bags in the collection. The bags from existing Dior lines do not look crazed and overdone. I understand the significance of the deck but it really is not beautiful enough to put all over the place especially in that manner with many bright pieces of thick yarn. I love tarot cards and astrology but she needs to put it to rest for a bit.

I did read that article because I enjoy looking at some of the clothes and bags in the collection. The bags from existing Dior lines do not look crazed and overdone. I understand the significance of the deck but it really is not beautiful enough to put all over the place especially in that manner with many bright pieces of thick yarn. I love tarot cards and astrology but she needs to put it to rest for a bit.
Totally agree

I think most everything happening at Dior since MGC has been mostly positive, drawing lots of interest for the brand. That said, I really loved Raf and the more understated bag aesthetic, such as Diorama and Diorever , and even Be Dior, which as we know was very short- lived due to a design flaw, I believe.

I love that Maria upgraded Diorama with a gorgeous suede lining, and that there now exist so many appealing iterations of LD, though the Classic LD will always be my absolute favorite Dior bag. The majority of the changes she's made have been very tasteful, and as many have stated, there's now something for everyone at Dior.

When I think of Dior I think of ladylike elegance and true classic designs vs trendy, modern or edgy. As long as that stays, I'll continue to be drawn to the brand.

This has indeed been a very interesting discussion. I for one am most aligned with Havanese's thoughts and feelings regarding MGC's takeover.

She definitely has brought on a lot more spunk but I guess not necessarily to my taste. I too prefer simple, clean lines and structure. When I think of Dior Words that come to my mind are timeless, elegance, ladylike, feminine.

I don't love the loud hardware or the new slouchier LD's. But I do love the changes to the Diorama in terms of the suede interior, the solid HW clasp and change in leather to supple calfskin.

The great thing is the changes do give more options to a broader audience and to be successful you do have to evolve with the trends.

Like Havanese, as long as Dior continues to create and carry classics with some elegant changes here and there I will always be a Dior fan.

I think a lot of fun stuff is happening on the tarmac, but I guess I keep waiting for the plane to take off with a course and coordinates and a flight plan. I adore the things I've gotten, but I am still looking for some cohesion to bring a vision together, so I can see one personality with many facets, not 5 personalities that can certainly complement each other, but they do also compete. I was *almost* getting there, I think, and then the crazy cruise bags shook me up :annoyed: I am glad that there is certainly something for everyone, but at the same time, I also feel inundated with chaos (lacking a thread that ties it all together). Not sure if what I just said makes any sense, but I want to look forward to the new collections like this :yahoo:and not like this :eek::cursing:

I think a lot of fun stuff is happening on the tarmac, but I guess I keep waiting for the plane to take off with a course and coordinates and a flight plan. I adore the things I've gotten, but I am still looking for some cohesion to bring a vision together, so I can see one personality with many facets, not 5 personalities that can certainly complement each other, but they do also compete. I was *almost* getting there, I think, and then the crazy cruise bags shook me up :annoyed: I am glad that there is certainly something for everyone, but at the same time, I also feel inundated with chaos (lacking a thread that ties it all together). Not sure if what I just said makes any sense, but I want to look forward to the new collections like this :yahoo:and not like this :eek::cursing:

I get you. I think you're a bit disappointed that all the lovely MGC bags you bought will be associated with these crazed flea market finds depicting everything under the sun. No wants to see a donkey or a woman pleasuring herself on a Dior bag.

I get you. I think you're a bit disappointed that all the lovely MGC bags you bought will be associated with these crazed flea market finds depicting everything under the sun. No wants to see a donkey or a woman pleasuring herself on a Dior bag.
Ha, exactly. I falsely assumed that there was going to be some momentum collection over collection, that we were all "going somewhere", and now I am like, ummmm, I have no idea what's happening. We are not moving forward here!! Be eccentric and unpredictable, awesome! But at least be tasteful and beautiful. I've always associated Dior with beautiful, regardless of eccentricities. These are...? I don't know what these are.

I'm actually on the fence with the new dior designs but do love some of them. I somehow feel most are just trend pieces and don't have the staying power. Perhaps only the soft calfskin lady dior? Which sort of cater to another group of customers who don't like their bags too structured? However, I do love their accessories and rtw. It's wearable, edgy and fun.

I feel that it's good to add in some fun and edginess to a somewhat serious dior, but I feel it's been alittle overdone with designs that I completely cannot understand and wonder "is this dior"? I just cannot feel any dior in it, it's like the soul is gone.

Even thou Gucci comes out with lots of eccentric designs, however, I could still feel oh yes, it's Gucci. I cannot explain why so. But for dior, I'm starting to feel puzzled and uninterested.

I always love dior for its sophisticated design and amazing quality, but the loud big logos is a big turnoff. If i prefer something that loud, I would have gone for Louis Vuitton, Gucci etc with the logos plastered all over the bags. I believe everyone gets attracted to a brand for a reason, and mine was bcox it's subtle and sophiscated with quality.

Of course I don't mind some loud and fun designs sometimes and Yes it was refreshing at first. But seasons after seasons, I feel like I keep seeing the same stuffs: studs, tarots and horoscopes... :hrmm:

I'm actually on the fence with the new dior designs but do love some of them. I somehow feel most are just trend pieces and don't have the staying power. Perhaps only the soft calfskin lady dior? Which sort of cater to another group of customers who don't like their bags too structured? However, I do love their accessories and rtw. It's wearable, edgy and fun.

I feel that it's good to add in some fun and edginess to a somewhat serious dior, but I feel it's been alittle overdone with designs that I completely cannot understand and wonder "is this dior"? I just cannot feel any dior in it, it's like the soul is gone.

Even thou Gucci comes out with lots of eccentric designs, however, I could still feel oh yes, it's Gucci. I cannot explain why so. But for dior, I'm starting to feel puzzled and uninterested.

I always love dior for its sophisticated design and amazing quality, but the loud big logos is a big turnoff. If i prefer something that loud, I would have gone for Louis Vuitton, Gucci etc with the logos plastered all over the bags. I believe everyone gets attracted to a brand for a reason, and mine was bcox it's subtle and sophiscated with quality.

Of course I don't mind some loud and fun designs sometimes and Yes it was refreshing at first. But seasons after seasons, I feel like I keep seeing the same stuffs: studs, tarots and horoscopes... :hrmm:
I think these are all excellent points, and you guys put into words sometimes what I cannot. The "soul is gone" resonates with me. Where is the core identity right now? And, other than some of the PAST silhouettes, the DIOR logo is what gives it away that it's a Dior? Or the tarot/ astrology? I just don't know. The cruise collection is a lot of cool boho but without (I feel) the luxe refinement of Dior. My original post was that I had a concern about these pieces standing the test of time. Since posting, some cruise photos came out that further warrant my concern, not abate it. The designs didn't get tighter, they are from another planet. I did expect that season over season, Dior under MGC would develop its own sophisticated personality which connected to the "soul" of Dior. Maybe the logo hardware would be a little smaller, more demure, etc. not full steam ahead in the opposite direction. My fear right now is this: MGC isn't a good fit for Dior, and her collections are limited as maybe she won't last at Dior. Then all the stuff I've got investing in *her* Dior (that it would gain momentum, refinement, sophistication - but with fun eccentricity to keep her personality in there - become more established, shine a great light into Dior for years to come) will always be seen as that "iffy" or colossal dark period where Dior lost its sh** before someone else had to come in and save it. Sucks.

OR perhaps I am totally wrong, the crazy needlepoint yarn bags will fly off the shelves, and Dior will be what everyone is talking about all the time. :P

I think these are all excellent points, and you guys put into words sometimes what I cannot. The "soul is gone" resonates with me. Where is the core identity right now? And, other than some of the PAST silhouettes, the DIOR logo is what gives it away that it's a Dior? Or the tarot/ astrology? I just don't know. The cruise collection is a lot of cool boho but without (I feel) the luxe refinement of Dior. My original post was that I had a concern about these pieces standing the test of time. Since posting, some cruise photos came out that further warrant my concern, not abate it. The designs didn't get tighter, they are from another planet. I did expect that season over season, Dior under MGC would develop its own sophisticated personality which connected to the "soul" of Dior. Maybe the logo hardware would be a little smaller, more demure, etc. not full steam ahead in the opposite direction. My fear right now is this: MGC isn't a good fit for Dior, and her collections are limited as maybe she won't last at Dior. Then all the stuff I've got investing in *her* Dior (that it would gain momentum, refinement, sophistication - but with fun eccentricity to keep her personality in there - become more established, shine a great light into Dior for years to come) will always be seen as that "iffy" or colossal dark period where Dior lost its sh** before someone else had to come in and save it. Sucks.

OR perhaps I am totally wrong, the crazy needlepoint yarn bags will fly off the shelves, and Dior will be what everyone is talking about all the time. :P
MGC will last longer than Raf Simons at Dior. I think her contract was set up so that it would be longer than Raf's, as Dior does not want to have another new creative director after 3 years of having a new designer again. While getting a new designer is good for creating temporary hype, it can have detrimental effects if the house acts like a revolving door. The top job becomes the job that no one wants to keep.

The question about what makes a Dior bag distinctly Dior? It's the Cannage quilting, Dior charms, curved lady-like top handles, and a couture approach to embellishment. The reissued vintage bags are definitely Dior. Bags that don't have these traits may not look like they are distinctly Dior, but if you look at most brands, you can say pretty much the same thing about some of their styles. Take away the logo, and bags like Chanel's Cerf tote, Prada Galleria, Vuitton Neverfull/Goyard St. Louis, and Gucci Soho could technically belong to any brand with nothing truly distinctive.

In other words, this is a dilemma for every brand that has multiple bag offerings, not just Dior.

@TraceySH the fact that her Dior was more exciting for you means that her re-branding is successful, and many woman share your experience. Her Dior is commercially successful, is resonating with a larger age-group (with pieces that appeal to very young clients as well as mature clients), and I see her staying power at the house.

But what exactly do all of us mean when we talk about the Dior "soul"?