Smelly Bag! :(

Serenedee said:
I bought a preloved Speedy30 from a local seller. Beautiful bag in every way....except the odor in the interior. Hard to describe but it was like a musty old smell. It was unbearable! I tried everything..febreeze, baby wipes, baking soda, bounce sheets, airing it out outside. Nothing was working!
Until, and I don't know what made me think of this but it WORKED INSTANTLY!

I had already febreezed a few times and dried it. Then I took my hair dryer and really blasted the inside. Then put 10-15 bounce sheets in and blasted it again with the dryer. Just before zipping it closed i put a couple cotton pads with a few drops of an essential oil placed on top of the bounce sheets. Zipped it up. Repeated process again in approximately 30 minutes. Took the bounce sheets and cotton pads out, spritzed a little of my favourite perfumr in and VIOLA! The stinky smell was completely gone!
I never thought it would go away it was that strong.
Worked like a charm!

I am glad it worked! However I don't understand the cotton pads with the essential oil part. Did u put essential oil on the cotton pads and closed the bag for 30 mins. Were'nt u afraid that the oil would stain the bag? Thank u for sharing

The cotton pads were placed on top if the bounce sheets so there was no chance of it seeping into the bag. I did have A LOT of bounce sheets in there!

It's been two days and my bag still is 'stink free'. LoL.

Same thing just happeened to me & I am sick about it-I want the bag so badly but it reeks of musty moldy odor which = Mold which = the Death of LV canvas!!! I am pertrified to bring it into my house so it is sitting in the garage. I want the bag so badly but just can not put items in it or in my closet & if it were FREE & not 1600. then I would just dip in in Clorex to kill the mold & pop it in the dryer & wear it until it falls apart-So Sad!!!
Of Course-seller swears it had no ODORS-Yeah Right!!! I am going back to my "Only buying from an LV Boutique Policy from here on out-such a waste & a stress!!!"

Last edited:
Seems like the bounce may mask the smell or neutrilize it but they can not remove mold so first humid day or humid home it enters-Blam-Mold spores multiple like crazy!

I was fortunate, in that, my bag had that musty 'old' smell but no mold. And I am quite familiar with that odor as I used to work in an old building which did have mold issues.
I find that I am smelling the inside of my Speedy quite frequently to insure the odor hasn't returned. It's been 4 days and so far so good!

Putting more perfume on a perfume sounds like it won't work. The best way to get rid of any smell (I have allergies to perfumes too) is fresh air and when that doesn't work, then this, taught to me by an old second hand dealer I knew years ago. Take some plain regular barbeque briquettes, not the instant kind because they have a fuel on them and stink to high heaven. Wrap briquettes in a clean paper towel and put with the item that smells. Enclose all inside of a plastic bag for as much as a 1 week period of time. It works. He said that he learned it when he bought a vintage refrigerator that someone had left food in that spoiled. He slit a bag of briquettes and put them inside the refrigerator and closed the door.

Reactions: Realtor by day
If you really want the bag and don't want to return it... I would look at taking it to a 'Bag Spa' and see if firstly they can remove the stain and if they can get it done with them. This way it is done correctly and effectively : )

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do? I was thinking of putting a stack of dryer sheets... or dumping some baking powder inside and vacuuming it up. (Or will that make a stain?) I left a sock with baking soda inside, with the bag open and my dining room fan turned on, and it did nothing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I want to love this bag, but the smell is making it impossible :cry:

I noticed this product on the Lovin my bags website:
http://www.lovinmybags.com/bagcandies.html

You coukd always email Barbara the site owner and ask her if these would help. She is great. HTH

I have a key pouch that I bought on e-bay about 3 years ago. I got a really good deal on it but it came with a smell. It smelled a little like old lady lavender or rose perfume. It was like someone sprayed perfume on a kleenex and stuck it inside. There was a clean kleenex in the pouch.
I tried dryer sheets, cleaning it, baking soda. I didn't try febreeze (I hate that smell worse than the one in my pouch) or charcoal. In all this time the smell has faded but it has never gone away. Now my license and credit cards have that faint smell. It bothered me a little at first but now I am used to it.
FYI- some smells do not go away. That is why I never put perfume in my purse. What smells good to me may not smell good to others.

Putting more perfume on a perfume sounds like it won't work. The best way to get rid of any smell (I have allergies to perfumes too) is fresh air and when that doesn't work, then this, taught to me by an old second hand dealer I knew years ago. Take some plain regular barbeque briquettes, not the instant kind because they have a fuel on them and stink to high heaven. Wrap briquettes in a clean paper towel and put with the item that smells. Enclose all inside of a plastic bag for as much as a 1 week period of time. It works. He said that he learned it when he bought a vintage refrigerator that someone had left food in that spoiled. He slit a bag of briquettes and put them inside the refrigerator and closed the door.

Super old thread, I know... But just wondering, did anyone ever try this? I just got a bag with a heavy perfume smell inside.

I have bought a bag and an agenda which both had a smoke odour. I used every method that I could find on the internet and the ones that worked best for me were filling a stocking up with ground coffee beans and leaving it in the bag or placing baking soda in an open container in the bag and replacing the top layer of the powder every day. Both absorb the smell and it has made a huge improvement for me. Thanks for all your tips too.

I bought my first LV last night and am thrilled! The only thing is the bag smells of must :sad: the owner of the consignment shop said someone told her to put the bag in the freezer with a potato and baking soda and it removes the smell. Has anyone heard of this or done it?!

I received a vintage alma I bought from a Japanese consignment shop the other day. When it came it had a strong smell of takeout food (that's the only way I can describe it really haha). I put a new wrapped bar of L'Occitane soap and a Yankee Candle scented drawer sachet in the bag, zipped it up for 2 days. Just opened it to give it a sniff and seems like it's gone!

Hello!

I just wanted to share what worked for me. I recently purchased a pre-loved Noe in damier azur, and like many of us, it STUNK of "old". I tried the newspaper, the baking soda in a sock in a closed bag, and febreeze. None of that worked. I became desperate. I put a teaspoon of baking soda in a large spray bottle of distilled water, turned my bag inside-out (carefully), and sprayed away. Put it outside (not in direct sun) and every 10-15 minutes, used a dry wash cloth to swipe. The old stank is GONE! It smells like baking soda now (which I much prefer), and can easily put in a dryer sheet or towel with essential oil to freshen up. If you do decide to try this, please please please be very careful not to get the mixture on the vachetta or the thread/stitches. The wet thread will seep the mixture onto the vachetta and it may turn black. Also, don't over-spray. Slow and steady! Try a small section first to test it out.

Goodluck!

Hello!

I just wanted to share what worked for me. I recently purchased a pre-loved Noe in damier azur, and like many of us, it STUNK of "old". I tried the newspaper, the baking soda in a sock in a closed bag, and febreeze. None of that worked. I became desperate. I put a teaspoon of baking soda in a large spray bottle of distilled water, turned my bag inside-out (carefully), and sprayed away. Put it outside (not in direct sun) and every 10-15 minutes, used a dry wash cloth to swipe. The old stank is GONE! It smells like baking soda now (which I much prefer), and can easily put in a dryer sheet or towel with essential oil to freshen up. If you do decide to try this, please please please be very careful not to get the mixture on the vachetta or the thread/stitches. The wet thread will seep the mixture onto the vachetta and it may turn black. Also, don't over-spray. Slow and steady! Try a small section first to test it out.

Goodluck!
Perhaps the baking soda in water will make a difference! Dry inside hasn't. But it's MUSTY!