Smelly Bag! :(

I just realized that I've read through this thread twice and didn't realize it until I saw that I commented on a previous experience of mine. I got a bag in the mail today. It smelled of perfume but as the day has worn on I can smell smoke. I'm going to try the baking soda trick now. I'll let you know how it goes.

OP I'm glad you got a partial refund. I think after that, it's way worth what you paid, smelly or not. So, I would try airing it out too. Maybe air it out one night, and then the next night, put some dryer sheets in it and air it out. I think the smell will go away after some air. Every time I come home from Vegas, my bag smells like smoke and dirty air, I take everything out of it, air it for a day, and the smell disappears. Febreze isn't so bad either, after fresh air and dryer sheets, but you want to get rid of the perfume odor first.
She's lying - the fact she offered refund straight away means she knew x

I got a pre-owned bag about a week and a half ago. It reeks of perfume and musty smell. The seller claims she had put dryer sheets in her bag when she stored it. I don't think it was dryer sheets. The smell is awful!!! So far I've tried the following suggestions I read here: baking soda placed inside and in boxes around the bag enclosed in a container. All that happened was that the container now smells too! I've tried to air it out outside weather permitting and still nothing. I simply don't know what to do at this point. I'm going to try Ozium and the activated charcoal, but I'm very discouraged. I read about a purse spa where you could send the bag to have it de-ionized or something. Can anyone recommend a legitimate purse spa that has worked for them??? Thanks!

I got a pre-owned bag about a week and a half ago. It reeks of perfume and musty smell. The seller claims she had put dryer sheets in her bag when she stored it. I don't think it was dryer sheets. The smell is awful!!! So far I've tried the following suggestions I read here: baking soda placed inside and in boxes around the bag enclosed in a container. All that happened was that the container now smells too! I've tried to air it out outside weather permitting and still nothing. I simply don't know what to do at this point. I'm going to try Ozium and the activated charcoal, but I'm very discouraged. I read about a purse spa where you could send the bag to have it de-ionized or something. Can anyone recommend a legitimate purse spa that has worked for them??? Thanks!
I should mention that it's a Neverfull MM. thanks!

I left some ground coffee on a paper towel inside the bag, then placed the bag in a closed bin bag for a week.
After a week it smells like coffee so needs some airing.
Should be sorted in about 2 weeks.

I received my (first and only) LV in the mail last week... a Cerises Speedy I purchased from ebay. I was a little annoyed at the way the bag was packaged, but otherwise the bag seemed as described.

The seller hadn't mentioned any weird smells, and I hadn't thought to ask... A HUGE mistake. :sad: The inside of the bag smells extremely strongly of perfume... and I suspect it was used to cover up the smell of cigarettes. I like perfume, but this I find really unpleasant.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do? I was thinking of putting a stack of dryer sheets... or dumping some baking powder inside and vacuuming it up. (Or will that make a stain?) I left a sock with baking soda inside, with the bag open and my dining room fan turned on, and it did nothing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I want to love this bag, but the smell is making it impossible :cry:

Norwex makes an odor eliminator that is amazing. It comes concentrated and you mix it with water in a spray bottle. I bought a used bmw that smelled of cigarettes and rotten milk. We sprayed the odor eliminator EVERYWHERE then shut the car up for the night. I went out the next day and couldn’t believe how good it smelled. I sprayed it one more time and never smelled the stink again. I have since used it on purses, area rugs and my couch. Best product ever

depending on what time of the year it is over there, pick a clear night when its not going to rain or snow, and just let it sit out in the fresh air overnight. you'd be suprised how much of the odor can just evaporate out. (make sure you dont leave it out in the front of your house where someone would see it and might steel it)
would this work for that storage smell too? that old leather smell