Sick of Spending/Consumerism/Shiny Pretty Things

A year and a half ago, I donated 75% of my closet to Goodwill...a ton of random shirts, pants, shoes, etc...nothing special, the most expensive thing was from Hollister, and the estimated worth of all of it was maybe 2500 dollars. Not bad, and a lot of it was unworn and I knew people who found them would feel like they had found a treasure maybe.

Fast forward to today. My closet is stuffed full again, I literally can't close it, and my shoes are kept in a separate area with my handbag boxes stacked in DH's closet (we have two in our bedroom, not a bad deal in an apt!) Luckily he doesn't care, as he's taken over the office with his fishing gear. hee!

The point is, I was liberating myself by giving the clothes I don't wear away to somewhere that can sell them for cheap so someone else can appreciate them...and then I ended up in the same place I was before. When that happened, I realized that I needed to make some changes as to not necessarily what I buy, but how I buy. Though, nowadays in my closet the most expensive things are my designer denim and shoes and not my Hollister hoodies I got on sale. That collection is a lot smaller and none of it will be given away until I stop using it and forget it is there - like a lot of the other stuff in there.

So yes, I had a problem of 'collecting'...I wanted tons of stuff so I would have 'options' even though I wear basically the same outfit every day - jeans, ballet flats, tank top/shirt and sweater/hoodie. I don't care that much for patterns as much as I think I am. So I'm making rules for myself and getting rid of things.

The reason I think this happened (because I never used to be like this), is because A) I can afford it (though I shudder to think about this: had I saved all the money that is in my closet, and only bought the things I actually use, I would have a crapload in savings and could pay off a big chunk of my college loans) and could finally get the brands and types of clothes I *really* wanted, and have a LOT of it...and
B) I'm a soldier, we work damn hard for our money, and our future is not guaranteed - ever. That is true for civilians too - you never know what can happen to you. But really, we have a different perspective about it because it was in our head before we even enlisted/commissioned. I'm not saying that because I think I'm better than anybody else, I'm saying it to illustrate that servicemembers as a group tend to spend their money and play VERY hard. We have things like Thrift Savings Plan to help us save for retirement, but whatever is left we use to our fullest capacity. I don't feel guilty about splurging sometimes, but my shopping trips are growing fewer and fewer between each time, and the times I do go...I usually leave empty handed unless there is a piece that I really really want (like a new sweater of a certain color), because I just feel gross about wanting to 'buy something because I will be so left behind if I don't get it'...I'm glad I'm changing my perspective. I've also tried to be very generous and loaning people stuff or giving shoes/shirts away if I don't wear them, to someone who will use them more. Since joining tPF, I've actually thought about shopping less, surprisingly, yet drooled a lot more and been more careful about buying. Ok, so it's only been a little over a month since I joined, but I stopped shopping before that (still thought about it a LOT)...but my mentality is changing and I'm more just happy to see someone else's reveal than to worry about what I am going to get next or when I can go shopping again.

It is, after all, just stuff. And it all stays behind when we die.

So I buy Coach, and love the Chanel counter at Nordstrom, and dream about Hermes, but it's okay to have specific dreams and loves in life.

Just remember to try to stop obsessing about things, and spend those hours with a person you care about. You will end up filling more fulfilled in the long run, and be busy making memories instead of wasting away at the mall or on your couch.

One way I've found to put an end to the "shopping high" is to postpone any non-essential purchases for a few weeks by telling myself that if means enough to me to right now to spend whatever amt of dollars on, it will still be worth it in a month and I will appreciate it even more. What I have found is that there are very few items that I even remember wanting (NEEDING! lol) so badly before. I starting doing this when I saw my kids falling into the trap of wanting something REALLY REALLY bad, yet as soon as they got it they were not even taking the time to enjoy it before REALLY REALLY wanting something else. Since we have put the "let's think about it for a while" rule into place, the clutter has been greatly reduced and our saving accounts have grown. :smile:

This is a great thread IntlSet! I can completely relate! :yes:

Have any of you guys seen those people who have sold EVERYTHING they own as a lot on Ebay? I would never (and could never do it), but it seems like it would be SO liberating!!!!!

Once a year I go through my stuff and donate as much as I can, but I always end up replacing all of it... I just don't know how to break the cycle :confused1:
ITA. My closet is literally OVERFLOWING with clothes. As in literally, I had to get a huge clothing rack as supplement to my closet and drawers.

Even though every few months I clean out my closet and donate my clothes (a lot of them UNWORN/NWT), I usually end up just essentially replacing them with new stuff.

I hate to say it, but I've become exorbitantly materialistic lately. It seems like my want for pretty clothes and bags and shoes is insatiable. I always buy things on impulse without really thinking about it. :shrugs:

I can totally relate....and since I am a Designer, our big job existence question always has been "is a Designer materialistic ?" I spend my life creating objects of consumerism !! But I always saw it as "humanist" and I have strong ethics which mean I want to create quality, in companies with high ethical values.
There is always this guilt of having too much while some don´t even have food...and I always think of the next thing to buy etc....I don´t even know if people have any other interests/hobbies than shopping ???? Seriously ??That feels empty...
And they are talking about opening shops on sundays in France, (until now sunday was sacred...) and while I love shopping....can we not just relax and do sports/arts/family time at home on a sunday ??? when do we take a BREAK and stop consuming ????

I love this thread. Thank you for starting it and making us think!

My personal experience is that I was formerly anti-consumerism. Ok, so I wasn't a hippy living in a tree. But I really couldn't understand people I knew who every month would claim they were "broke", but yet still bought new clothes, shoes or bags all the time. At that time I would snort at the thought of paying >$1000 for a bag, my shoes were <$100 a pair, and I would never spend more than $100 for a top. Till this day I still cannot bring myself to buy a skirt that costs $300 or a dress that costs $500. I was really into the whole 'minimalistic' approach - I liked the idea of owning less, but using what I had alot more. I saved a great deal of my monthly paycheck, and my aim was to save $xx xxx by the end of the year.

Fast forward to today. I don't balk at paying >$1K per bag. I have spent near to $300 for a top, I'm considering buying a $500 pair flats, and I'm sucked into the whole craze of buying the latest release bbag/chanels. Oh, and I sure haven't saved $xx xxx either and it's already mid December.

I'm not quite sure how it happened either. I think a part of me got sucked in from peer influence. Something like "she has this, she has that, why can't I have this too?" Especially on a forum like this, there are plenty of new threads everyday about someone's latest purchases, and we get envious and wish we could own those too. But we don't all have the same incomes and priorities. And apart from the few who are really wealthy, most of us just aren't able to blow thousands everyday on shopping. But it's hard to see that when all we hear from other ladies are "congrats!" "ooh buy it!" There is nothing wrong with this encouragement, it's in good fun and it's nice to have people sharing the same excitement as you, but we just need to remember it's not reality. I think I was also trying to fill a void inside because I currently dislike the place and job I'm in. I basically thought, if nothing else can make me happy then at least shopping can.

The lesson I'm trying to teach myself from this is, it is fine to buy stuff, but in moderation, and I need to know when to stop. I can buy a designer purse, but I need to make sure I am still saving up. And I still only want to buy several but not collect hundreds and hundreds obsessively. Also, I need to believe that I don't have to spend, to be that better person. :smile:

I completely know where you're coming from, IntlSet. I've been feeling this way myself for a while now. I've got some stuff going on in my personal life and lately I've been thinking: What's a $2,000 bag if I'm not happy? Also, we live in a big, nice house, but I sometimes think I'd be all right in a cottage if I was just happy.

Great idea for a thread. Thank you for starting this, IntlSet.

I've been feeling like this for the past few months. I think what it has really come down to for me is that lately I have felt depressed, and unhappy... I see all the material things I have, and how there are so many people out there who are so much less fortunate than me (which makes me even more sad), and yet I am still not happy. I feel so sad looking at all the bags I have, the home I live in, my car, etc., and somehow I am still not satisfied. I don't need or want anything else, it's just myself that I'm not happy with... and if I'm not happy with myself, no amount of bags or w/e will make me happy. I guess that's why I haven't felt the urge to buy another bag, or spend money on expensive things b/c I don't feel like I'm enjoying them and they are definitely not making me any happier.

What keeps all of us lusting over expensive things is the emotion that comes along with the purchase.

OMG! This is so true for me! It doesn't even have to be expensive things though! It depends on what emotion or need I'm trying to fill at the moment! Expensive makes me feel special, unique, valuable! Then other times I just want to feel spoiled, pampered or even civilized! I live in the middle of freaking nowhere and sometimes I want to feel like a 'big city girl'! LOL! But then I see people with nearly nothing who can't even buy their kids a Christmas present because they have nothing and are paying $400 electric bills to heat their crap little houses provided by the system or are paying $4 for a gallon of milk AND gas! Or kids who don't have the things we take for granted because their mom, dad, auntie, uncle, grandma, guardian... spent what little money they had on booze or gambling! Sorry, I'm not sure why but this holiday is bittersweet for me because the needs are so great and I am overwhelmed by seeing them. I want to numb how I feel with stuff or with buying stuff. And my darling, sweet kids are happy with gifts for Christmas that will cost no more than $50 because their little hearts are touched by the kids they see around them with nothing. I am so blessed by what I have that cannot be bought. You know, there's that Michael Jackson song about talking to the man in the mirror. It's the corniest song ever but how freaking true is it? OK, sorry to get on a soapbox here but this touched a nerve with me and it's exactly where I am right now emotionally. Thanks for letting me vent a little and thanks to the OP for this topic! I needed to get this off my chest and seriously consider what I'm going to do about it.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

This topic is one of the most interesting and thought-provoking threads I have ever read on TPF! Knowing when is enough, enough can be quite freeing.

"We crave: a two-word analysis of the human condition. In the United States it is a drive responsible for our criminal consumerism, for our need to "keep up with the Joneses" even if the Joneses are plummeting lemmings. We are not satisfied. Nor can we quite figure out exactly what it is we lack that produces this ache of dissatisfaction.

The American way of life has degenerated into a crisis of addiction, with most of us trying to fill the void within us with whatever promises to take away the angst of existence so common to us in the West, however temporarily. We crave something beyond our experience, and the pain of that longing haunts us in every lonely moment, every empty victory, every success or acquisition which can only disappoint us when the smoke of novelty clears and we find ourselves alone again with our dissatisfaction.

The great Buddhist scripture, The Dhammapada , tells us that "from craving arises sorrow and from craving arises fear."

Buddhism and the 12-Step Process: An End to Suffering
http://www.legacyaa.com/articles/buddhism.htm

I don't quite know how i missed this thread, but I did... and I agree completely with everything that has been said.

I find myself driving around and there are shopping malls, strip malls, stand alone stores and shopping areas EVERYWHERE and they are always busy. We work so hard to buy "stuff"... it is disgusting.

I know it came for me that when we moved two times in a year with a house full of STUFF and each time going to a smaller and smaller space with less and less storage that I had ENOUGH. My closets had to be SUPER organized to stay on top of it and I was spending so much time ORGANIZING my clutter that I never got to enjoy it!!! So... last January, I donated TWENTY LARGE rubbermaid containers full of stuff. Did about 5 more every month - clothes, decorations, shoes, bags, craft supplies, fabric, etc.

This December I ebayed the "good" stuff - 80 items, made $7000, but had spent about $11,000 on that "stuff" in the first place!!!!

I'm really trying to pair down on it all. I STILL want things, but I just don't allow myself to go shopping and when I go, I go to the ONE PLACE I need to go and get the ONE THING I need to get and don't allow myself to look around. If I see "stuff" I want it! LOL

I have decided what makes me happy is good food (and we spend a lot of good quality food), a comfortable home (not necessarily expensively decorated, but asthetically pleasing) and travel. I am TRYING to teach myself not to spend the $$ so we can do more of that stuff and I THINK I'm getting there... DH is happier too!

Doesn't it seem like guys "get it" better?

This is a great thread and I agree with and am equally guilty of everything that's been said. I, too, go through everything once or twice a year to "clear out" and think I'm doing a little better. Maybe it's the holidays, but this year seems like overkill everywhere I look! I'm also going to impliment the one-in, one-out habit and actually had a conversation with a co-worker about it last week.

^ I've taken the first step too I have 2 large black black bag upstairs ready to go to charity, they are closed right now but they'll go going as soon as I can get them out of the house.

Just remember guys that when you donate, list EVERYTHING you put in that donation and what it's resale value is. Like, $200 jeans (can't imagine!) for $80 or something like that. either that or write down what you REMEMBEr paying for it so later you can figure out what it would be worth resale. Take pictures of special items and then save the list. When you donate, get a receipt and save that too for tax season and use it for a charitable contribution and got a break on your taxes!