Shower Me With Ostrich

We shall wait for you!

24, since you know a great deal about leathers...do you have any advice comments on various colors, darkening, durability and all the good stuff regarding ostrich?

We shall wait for you!

24, since you know a great deal about leathers...do you have any advice comments on various colors, darkening, durability and all the good stuff regarding ostrich?

my 2 cents:
ostrich is considered the most long lasting leather by hermes. even croc dries out more quickly. ostrich is a highly porous and fibrous leather which is why it takes color like a sponge. the color is just soaks into it instead of sitting on top. It is an exotic, but not so flashy like croc-- so it exudes a quiet opulence. I think in some ways it is the best leather to buy period! It is extremely hard to scratch. The leather between the quill marks has striations if you look closely which goes a long way towards camouflaging any damage or problems. NOW--the dark side of ostrich ........the porosity is why the handles darken. Some dont mind it but i think its best in black, choco, cognac and colors. I have a croc kelly in a dark color. Its by far my most beautiful bag ....................I feel that the ostrich is so understated. I bought a croc birkin a few years ago and didnt keep it because it seemed too flashy.

Some ladies are worried about the peeling. I have asked my store supervisor about it and she said the "eyes" are all hammered down so it will not drop off unless you knock the bag onto something. It's actually very durable. And if you spot the "eye" dropping, bring it back to the store for the craftsman to hammer it back.

Hi KB, can't add much to what Hermesaholic already stated but if anyone's interested, the general scientific name for ostrich is Struthio camelus (dork alert!). :P And from what I know, Hermes acquires their ostrich skins from S. Africa.

Anyway, here's my favorite color for ostrich--Cognac. It's neutral and therefore a little quieter and more demure than Orange, Fuchsia, etc., since ostrich is a distinctive and pretty flashy skin, IMHO. I am more comfortable carrying ostrich in this color than, say, Fuchsia or another bright color (although I can manage accessories in a brightly-colored ostrich). I also like that any eventual darkening won't be too obvious on this color. See the pretty striations in between the quill sockets?
ostrichbirkinfront24F.jpg

ostrichbirkinback24Fjpg.jpg

ostrichbirkinclosure24F.jpg

ostrichbirkinclochette24F.jpg

Some ladies are worried about the peeling. I have asked my store supervisor about it and she said the "eyes" are all hammered down so it will not drop off unless you knock the bag onto something. It's actually very durable. And if you spot the "eye" dropping, bring it back to the store for the craftsman to hammer it back.

Queenie, that reminds me--I posted a link here last summer of a former Hermes craftsperson hammering down each quill socket on pieces of ostrich skin and sewing them together. Neato!

24, haven't heard from you for a while. You've been missed. I always think that cognac looks kinda mature. But your birkin blown me away!! It's so drool worthy!!! :heart::drool::heart::drool:

Hi Queenie, how are you? I've just been busy & frankly too lazy to be around. LOL I've also been sneaking around in another subforum... Glad you like the Cognac ostrich. I consider it a comfy & hardy bag!