Should I buy a fake??

I had a bad experience with a fake Prada bag that I bought(thinking it was real, in Aruba. Now I know better after doing much research)...I had the bag for a few months, and the shoulder strap broke while I was in a club. I had to carry the bag around with me the rest of the night and it was a pain in the butt! There are plenty of authentic, reasonably priced bags out there. Don't over extend yourself for a top name designer.

Look at our marketplace!! Or try TJ Maxx. They also have a cute selection of BCBG bags. You can also check out Ebags.com. They have free shipping and free returns. I believe that have Michael Korrs and a few other designers.

Interesting article. Thanks.

Yer, I have been to Beijing's Silk Alley, the size of it amazing... i was there in a tour group ... and one of our local guides told us that the storekeepers hide the really A+++++++++ fakes behind the store. you have to ask for it! and they will see if you are really a genuine buyer or an official trying to crack down on fakes... any brands you can think of really, even kipling! unfortunately, one of my friends whom i met on the tour bought loads of LVs as gifts for her galfriends back in the states... well... what can i say?

I'd have to say don't buy a fake. I've never owned a fake. It seems stupid. Ok, you have 10 fakes in 10 dofferent colors, you could have bought a real one worth something. Fakes are cheap and worthless. A real piece, you could have forever and pass down to future daughters or whatever. A fake you won't have at like the end of a few months. Also, if you buy a fake, people won't look at you the same. They'll probably think what a liar. Lieing over such trivial things. Unless, you tell people it's fake... Save up, you'd be surprised how fast it goes if you're determinded.

Jadore said:
Also Kenneth Cole they have really nice bags that arnt that pricey.

websites that sell nice bags for a good price are also
costco.com also overstock..they have some pretty sweet bags for a good price!

I'd also add Cole Haan to the list of bags that are generally not that pricey but are of good quality.

Cole Haan is awesome!

If you're already set on buying a fake bag, none of us can stop you. But it IS illegal. Please just try to find an inspired bag and don't carry a bag that pretends to be something it's not by displaying a logo that isn't real.
I can't afford a paddington either, so I just buy stuff I can afford. There are a lot of nice leather companies (Hayden-Harnett, for example) that make nice, reasonably priced bags without the design house markup. Please don't think we're being condescending. We're just saying that technically, fakes are ethically wrong. it is a lie to carry one around. There are many indie designers who deserve your cash much more and will give you a unique beautiful piece in return.

esiders said:
Frankly $120 is too much for a fake bag. Go to TJ Maxx or Marshalls...they have nice, quality, leather bags for better prices than that.

People may hate me for saying this...but not everyone is meant to have a Paddington. Just like not everyone is meant to drive a BMW or live in a multi-million dollar house. I'd rather have quality that I can afford than be a pretender with a fake. As long as Coach is in business, there is no way you can justify buying a fake bag.

:smile: Everyone is allowed to dream about having nice things, and if they save up they can eventually afford them, I think it's silly to say only certain people are meant to have a handbag. :smile: no offense!

AND. I don't think you should buy a fake, you won't be happy with it anyways. Get yoruself a coach bag or something. Coach bags are nice quality, cute designs and are trendy right now. :smile: I feel you on wanting a paddington, but I simply cannot afford one at the moment, and I bought myself a beautiful Botkier Clyde bag and I'm insanely happy with it. Look around and find a lower priced bag that you fall in love with- and continue to dream about a paddington! :smile: Even start a little "paddington fund" and set money aside for as long as it takes you to get it.:heart:

LaDoctorFutura said:
i'm probably the odd one out also, but i think that in some circumstances, buying a fake is ok. speaking personally as a college student, i have no income accept for what my parents give me, which ends up being $150/mo. Definately not enough to buy a real purse. so, when i can get a fake chloe paddington for $50 on a website, you bet your bottom dollar i'm going to get it. spending $2700 on some purses is my apartment rent for an entire semester! i don't think i'll ever feel good about myself spending that much for a purse. as odd as that sounds, its weird that i find purchasing fakes easier on the conscience than spending so much (money that i don't have) and supporting the millionaire designers.

on another front, i don't think chic-ness can only be for the rich and able. nice stuff (at least fashion-wise) should not be limited to those who can afford it, but for those who care about what's "in" and trendy.

so...have fun. don't let the whispers stop you. i'll wear my faux handbags with pride!!! you should too.

While I agree that you should buy within your means, I also have to encourage you to go with either a Lush bag or one of the other "inspired" bags rather than a "faked" Paddington. Depending on where you live, it is a violation of law to purchase a fake bag and you could get into trouble. That being said, it is ALWAYS a violation of trademark laws (and possibly others) to fake a bag. An inspired bag doesn't claim to be the real thing, but still has the look. Or a nice bag within your price range is an option, although I know you really want a Paddington style. I would rather have one really nice bag than six fakes. But that's me...

alot of ppl keep talking about the lack of quality on a fake
however i have several "super" quality fakes cost a couple hundred dollars not the cheap 10 dollars bags from canal st.

my bags range from 1-6 yrs old
all of which are in perfect condition, they look brand new aside of course from the patina.

i would def recommend a fake as long as you realise the cheaper you go, the less quality youll get...

Just to share a recent experience, I very nearly bought an 'authentic' paddy through a website for USD799- special valentine deal. Fortunately, the credit card card company called me for verification and by then I had second thoughts on the authenticity of the item as I had noticed that the paddy cost almost twice the price via dept stores.

A close shave indeed! BUying fakes only supports a group a unscrupulous people.

please please do not buy a fake. i think even better than buying an "inspired" bag would be to just buy something in your price range. and maybe one day you can buy the more expensive bags, and be able to really appreciate them.