Short people (4'11 and under) VS Balenciaga bags?

Copenhagen, that City looks amazing on you (and your frame)! Definitely making me rethink.

Muchstuff, that anecdote really helps, actually! The stuffing seriously threw me off too I think.

Hierophiliac I hope you find the info you need in the contributions here. Keep us updated! :smile:
-

I was previously contemplating the chevre Metallic Edge City that I tried in the shop, but now I'm thinking (aka, possibly fallen for) of a Metal Plate City... which has the stiffer calfskin leather, i.e. probably less easy to 'break in'? Although the lovely new modeling pics in this forum show that Metal Plate City bals can get some level of slouch, I still wonder how that would factor into proportions for us petites. ( I generally prefer glossy/smooth/patent to pebbly leathers, and that's always been the sticking point with me and Bals until I saw the Giant 24 (I think? the bgger hardware where they only make 12 now) SHW bags and I just, like, died. Figuratively speaking.
(I've a broken leg at the moment and hobbling about is literal pain, and as much as I love to shop, I really don't think I could stand a trip to the boutique at this stage of recovery so I'd have to order online! (I'm one of those people who prefers IRL bag reconnaissance to online shopping, don't shoot me).) It's odd, I usually favor structured bags, but the slouch on most Balenciaga bags' leathers are more...natural? aesthetic? wrap around the body in a nice way?... not all unattractively crinkled and wrinkled like some other purse brands' leathers get, e.g. like you pummeled it to death and then haphazardly rolled it in a suitcase for the last X years - they don't look neglected, they look like a look.

-
I actually recently (pre-leg snap) bought a black silver metallic edge Mini City & I am TORN. It's so cute! Can't fit much in it, sure. But the strap is so long it hits my hip at a wrong place if I wear on one shoulder and don't try it crossbody (crossbody not a great look for me), and the weight adjuster on the strap I find more annoying/heavy than helpful (?). I've been avidly :graucho:trying to read up on people's experiences having straps shortened. Trouble is - I notice a lot of you petite gals are carrying your regular City bags on your arm, and that makes it look more proportionate. I'm not used to carrying bags that way, but if I love something enough I can dig it! however, the Mini City's straps are too small to really allow for that (and I have small wrists; it's just the design). I think I might have to bring it back (or ask a friend to because of the leg sitch). And maaaaybe, you know, I am so tempted by the idea of an unstuffed City, and how good they look in your gals' pics, I'm dying to pull the trigger online & see how it fits on my frame...

Just a couple of points.. there are older bags with smooth leather, each bag is different and each year is different in terms of leather. If you can find an older, pre-loved bag with thick smooth leather it would be at least partially broken-in, and you can indeed find them. Re: the weight adjuster? I just push mine back behind my shoulder and ignore it...you can also wiggle them off I think, I've never tried but read that here on the forum somewhere.
Note that the older cities have a much shorter strap, the long straps are very recent.

Dropping in to say THANK YOU EVERYONE! I definitely have a better understanding of bag sizes vs body size, I appreciate it so much. It's so hard to get an idea just from looking at the bag on a mannequin/super tall models and seeing it on short people has helped me so much. Especially the information about how bags soften over time and how they look less structured, which translates to being less bulky.

Thank you thank you thank you! :heart: you guys are the greatest:hbeat:

I'm 5'1" and 98 lbs and I carry several styles of Bal bags. The first city I purchased (pre-loved) was almost brand new, no slouch at all and I sold it as I felt it looked too east-west on my frame. I didn't understand how Bals soften and slouch, a broken-in bag looks and feels smaller. I've included a pic with me carrying a city by the handles on my shoulder rather than the strap, an older chevre bag that's not completely broken in yet. If you're buying new the structure may make the bag seem big initially, but it should soften as you wear it. And I don't have a metal-edged city but I think they are quite structured initially, maybe someone else can weigh in on that. Hope this helps!
What year and color is that bag? [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] its absolutely gorgeous [emoji7][emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]